DeMarco Murray - Where do we go from here?

titans0021

So I was trying to think of a thread idea after the discussion in the GDT. I wanted it to be positive. But then I thought of this, and I doubt it's positive, but it's also something worth discussing.

Obviously we won't be releasing Murray, but a big decision is coming up this offseason. 

Just as a note, here are his current stats: 117 carries, 443 yards, 3.8 yard average, 28 receptions, 192 yards.

Murray is due $6.5 million this offseason. There is no penalty associated with cutting him.

Does his blocking and receiving ability make him a lock for next season? Do we hope that the nagging injuries will heal up and he'll come close to the first half of last year?

I'm currently left feeling like we should move on. The injuries hurt, but the camera angle on Thursday night was real damning. It drove home what most of us have seen, but not really seen, throughout the year. The line isn't doing a great job, but he's just not seeing things. That has nothing to do with his limited burst or injuries, there were some holes and he just blindly ran into the back of his linemen. As he has with alarming frequency this season.

So basically, what do we do with Murray? And, if the answer is to dump him, what do you want to see us do at RB next year? Give Henry a massive workload? Bring in a complementary back in free agency? Spend a mid-round pick on a back?

Feel free to answer none, some or all of the above.

Murray is coming up on the dreaded age of 30 for a RB. He's had nagging injuries all season and his vision(one of his main strengths) has eroded this season. Plus he's making too much money for his (lack of) production imo.

So with that said, I'd let him go if we don't see a massive improvement for this 2nd half of the season.

Jerick McKinnon is the guy, I'd target if we were to let Murray go. He's an ideal 3rd down back, who would provide much needed speed for our offense. It's about time we see what we have in Henry, so go into next season with Henry as the main, workhouse back with McKinnon as the 3rd down/change of pace back.

That's how I'd approach things.

I'd say let him go, but I'm trying to think what Robinson and Murlakey would do.  They might renegotiate with him. I doubt they cut him outright.  
He isn't an effective runner this year. He has the yips and injuries are slowing him down. Injuries has always been his issue.  He is a great receiver and our best blocking RB.  That is worth something, but is it worth what we pay him and the roster spot?

Henry should take over at the least and Murray be in a reserve role. We draft a mid round RB that we believe in and role with that. 
With the way he has played, I can see him being the starter going into next year. 

Regardless of what we do, we need to get a complimentary piece to the Henry/Murray style... A guy in the mold of Woodhead, Kamara, Cohen, Duke Johnson, etc...

I doubt Murray renegotiates so it may be time to move on. I could see someone like Crowell brought in as a backup/contingency to Henry, while we see what a new rookie does. We could flip it and get a more complete backup to Henry while signing a complimentary 3rd down back like Dion Lewis, McKinnon, etc.

4 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Regardless of what we do, we need to get a complimentary piece to the Henry/Murray style... A guy in the mold of Woodhead, Kamara, Cohen, Duke Johnson, etc...

I doubt Murray renegotiates so it may be time to move on. I could see someone like Crowell brought in as a backup/contingency to Henry, while we see what a new rookie does. We could flip it and get a more complete backup to Henry while signing a complimentary 3rd down back like Dion Lewis, McKinnon, etc.

Seeing what Adoree is able to do as a RB should show Robinson exactly the type of RB we need.  Like you said someone not in the Henry/Murray mold. More variety, a RB with some creativity. 

The way I see it is we have two options:

#1: Keep Murray as the 3rd down back, move Henry to the lead back role, fix the interior of the offensive line. The interior of the o-line is fine..for a more finesse style team. Josh Kline is a really solid pass blocker but doesn't have the power to block the way we want, consistently, in the run game. During the Midday 180's interview with Blake Beddingfield, he said the Titans didn't actually view Kline as a guy they wanted long term. He was simply brought in to be a stop gap guy last year. Beddingfield said he's not as big as they want on the interior. And I think if you look back to the pre-season, we tried a couple different guys at first team right guard to replace Kline, just none were better. We brought in Tim Lelito from the Saints, 6'4 315 pounds. Drafted Corey Levin, 6'4 310. And look at who we have at left guard. Spain is 6'5 335 pounds. Josh Kline? 6'2 295. Ben Jones at center isn't the biggest guy in the world either but he's not going to be replaced, he's too important in terms of line calls and the like to attempt to replace him.

And while Spain is big enough, his play has not been good enough this year. After having a really strong finish to the year last year, he's fallen off this season. I'm not gonna hold the game against the STeelers against him cause he was trying to block a fantastic 3-4 DE in Heyward with a bad toe..but even before that, he's been iffy at best this year.

Spain and Kline are both FAs after this off-season. While the argument is there to keep them because they keep MAriota up right, we can't rely on them in the run game. At least not Kline, maybe Spain can bounce back to form, but he's gonna need to do it quickly.

#2: Cut Murray, sign/draft/trade for an elusive runner. This allows you to stay cheap on the interior by keeping what we already have there, and allows you to keep the protection for Mariota, but acquires a back who is good enough in space and doesn't have to rely on the power run game. This also, however, requires a change in offensive scheming/philosophy for the team. So with that being said, option #1 seems like a far more likely option.

Kline may almost certainly be gone. Spain could be brought back depending on how he finishes the year, but we're going to be replacing at least one offensive guard this off-season if we intend to stay with the same scheme.

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Seeing what Adoree is able to do as a RB should show Robinson exactly the type of RB we need.  Like you said someone not in the Henry/Murray mold. More variety, a RB with some creativity. 

Just anybody with real speed would add a lot to the offense. I honestly wish, particularly if they had any idea about how limited his role would be, that they would have worked Taywan Taylor at running back a bit during camp and the preseason. I understand that's asking a lot of a rookie, but it'd be nice to have a smaller, shiftier runner to run some read option and be a swing back for Marcus that isn't a starting outside corner and primary kick and punt returner.

As rage said, we just need to find somebody that isn't Murray or Henry. Not that there's anything wrong with their running style, but when the line is creating seams more than true holes, it'd be nice to have a back that has a chance to create something and slip through rather than two more plodding backs that often times will just plow into a lineman trying to hit a non-existent hole.

Just a couple names that could hit free agency and would interest me, I won't go into the draft because I can't pretend like I know anything about potential mid-round backs:

Jerick McKinnon

Dion Lewis

James White (these two, again as rage said, have an issue of coming from the Patriots offense, but I'll take my chances)

Damian Williams (definitely a lower-tier signing, but I'd give him a look)

Andre Ellington

Weird name to put out there, but I'd also take a look at Jamaal Charles. He's obviously not prime JC, but whenever I've watched Denver I've though he's looked like he still has a little juice left. Obviously it'd be a bit strange to replace DeMarco Murray with an even older running back, but Charles has been a competent pass-catcher out of the backfield throughout his career and could serve as a nice change of pace from Henry. Also has some read option experience under Andy Reid.

You guys have pretty much nailed it right on the head here. He's making way too much for the current level of production and his vision/burst is obviously declining at a rapid rate while the injuries are piling up. We simply can't carry him on the team next year at that salary cap number, so I think we end up moving on. We definitely need a speedier back to compliment Derrick. Someone with some breakaway speed and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Our offense is still lacking serious game changing speed as a whole, so I think replacing DeMarco with a versatile speedster is the way to go. A guy like Bryce Love immediately comes to my mind, because as a Stanford fan, I've watched him a ton. I doubt we'd spend the early pick that it would take to get him right now, but a guy in his mold would be perfect.

Meh. I thought he has been done all season long. Yeah, he is still going to have a good play or two but he is slow and has terrible vision. It is more than just his little injuries that is doing it too. I feel like that's been used as an excuse. He is definitely on the downside of his career.

He's good at multiple things, from running to pass protection and catching, and I think they still find value in that, so I wouldn't bet on them wanting to get rid of him just yet. This year looked like a very good opportunity to just commit to Henry, if they thought he can handle it or is primed to become a featured back, and that not happening I think says some things. With that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go, but I'd like to get something in return for it. I don't think his trade value is any high, but if it lands us something such as a 4th-6th round pick, I'd be pretty fine with that. 

As for who to replace him, the more I watch Ronald Jones, the more I fall in love with him. I think he'd probably cost us a 2nd round pick if we were to go after him, but I wouldn't mind that. He's explosive, can work well as a shotgun RB, he's just perfect as a runner, IMO, to complement Henry.

Archived