Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

8 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I'm a big Gute supporter. He completely turned the team around after taking over. Has hit on big money FA signings, has hit on bargain FA signings and has a solid draft record. 

With that being said, I really don't understand the strategy moving forward. We should of done 2 things:

1. If you're gonna sign an older QB to a 50m+/yr extension, then we need to go all in. If reports are true that we offered Adams more then Vegas and he declined, we should have used the money we would of given him and traded a 5th for Amari. Our biggest hole would have been filled and we would have still had money left over to sign Campbell and Douglas. We'd also have more flexibility in the draft. 

2. Traded Adams and Rodgers for multiple 1st rounds picks and other draft capital. We would've been loaded for the future and primed for a quick rebuild like the Eagles did. We would have a season to find out if Love is the QB of the future or not. If he isn't, then we have a high draft pick to use on a strong QB class and salary cap to go all in while our QB is on a rookie contract. 

Instead, now we're stuck in a weird middle ground where our cap is hamstrung by our aging QB and we're not serious contenders because we have the worst set of weapons in the league. Gute's inability to make the tough decision when the writing was on the wall is what separates good GMs from great GMs

Agreed .. the strategy is goofy.  If you decide to keep Rodgers .. you have to keep Adams .. made no sense to trade him.  I don't care if he wanted to go to the Raiders, because there is a thing called the franchise tag that would have kept him in GB this year.  Packers were apparently scared to play hardball.  The right move was to deal them both and move forward for at least one season with Love.  We still don't know if that guy can play .. what a dumb situation we find ourselves in now.

1 minute ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Far worse? I don't know about that. But Titans are a running team with the best RB in football. That's their identity. We're a passing team with a 50m/QB and no weapons. Those situations aren't really comparable

Far worse is correct. Lazard, Watkins and Doubs are probably better than any WR on that team.

We too could play that style, but we'd rather have stats than wins.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It was really this simple. Signing Rodgers to that deal and then replacing his guy Adams with Watkins and 2 rookies was a series of decisions that I don't even think Gute can look himself in the mirror and believe he actually thought would work. 

It had to be all or nothing. 

2022 cap hits

-Sammy Watkins 1.8m 

-Jarran Reed 1.75m 

-Rasul Douglas 3.3m 

-Campbell 4.2m

-Amari Cooper 4.9m 

We have 6.4 m in cap space available. If we didn't sign Watkins, could have Cooper and 3.3m cap space 

Hindsight is 2020 but Gute could've really played this better. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The Titans are 5-2 with a far worse WR group.

You're like the 3rd person or so to use the Titans example. The Titans have won those 5 games by scoring 24, 24, 21, 19 and 17 points. Their offense is basically performing at the same clip as ours, which is scoring 17-24 points on a good day. 

In those same 5 wins, their defense has given up 22, 17, 17, 10, 10. That's four games of giving up 17 or fewer points, hence they've won those close games by a few points. I've said before, if the Packers' defense was consistently holding teams to 14-17 points, we'd have 4-5 wins too. The margin of error is small.  

Now, is this sustainable for either team? Of course not. You're smart enough to know the Titans have no shot against teams like the Bills, Chiefs or other top teams with explosive offenses. The Bills already blew them out 41-7 as one example. So, yea, they may skate by with some close victories and grind out 8-10 tough wins this season, but they're not going anywhere. The situation is no different in Green Bay right now. The only difference is, in addition to our inept offense and less-than-dominant defense, we also haven't gotten the breaks, especially the last few weeks (penalties, etc.). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

While ignoring the ability to draft any skill positions other than RB when we already had two good ones. Taking a QB round one of a draft we were one player away from winning it all who turns out to be bad. 2020 was malpractice and he's been at best average other than that.

I really want to argue against this point.  But even I cannot.

2020 was bad.  The only way it gets better is for Rodgers to retire and for Love to become the next great QB in Green Bay.  Odds are not good for that scenario.

I will concede that point to you, with zero reservations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Far worse is correct. Lazard, Watkins and Doubs are probably better than any WR on that team.

Watkins is good for about 3 drives before getting hurt. Lazard and Doubs are playing with a HoF QB which the Titans WRs don't have the luxury of. 

We have the RBs to play that style but pretty much all our OL are better pass blockers then run blockers. I don't know if we have one OL that i'd grade as a great run blocker. 

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Watkins isn't and never will be healthy, Lazard is over rated, also not healthy, and Doubs is just a product of being good enough to get fed targets. Nobody can get open besides Tonyan.. who once again is always banged up

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Striker ran the KC and TB GMs, and they probably fall under "perfectly average" as well and have recent Super Bowls. 

....so maybe?

Eagles, KC, TB. The NFC's leader and two Super Bowl winners. So I'm not really picking average teams.

But let's do the Browns:

R1/8 Justin Gilbert - Bust
R1/22 Johnny Manziel - lol
R2/35 Joel Bitonio - Hit
R3/71 Christian Kirksey - Hit
R3/94 Terrance West - Traded in '15
R4/127 Pierre Desir - Waived in '16

So 2/6. 

R1/12 Danny Shelton - Traded in '18
R1/19 Cameron Erving - Traded in '17
R2/51 Nate Orchard - Released in '18
R3/77 Duke Johnson - Productive 3rd down back
R3/96 Xavier Cooper - Waived in '17
R4/115 Ibraheim Campbell - Released in '16
R4/123 Vince Mayle - Released in '15
R6/189 Charles Gaines - Released in '16
R6/195 Malcolm Johnson - Waived in '16
R6/198 Randall Telfer - Traded in '18
R7/219 Hayes Pullard - Released in '15
R7/241 Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - Waived in '16

1/12

R1/15 Corey Coleman - Traded in '18
R2/32 Emmanuel Ogbah - Traded in '19
R3/65 Carl Nassib - Waived in '18
R3/76 Shon Coleman - Traded in '18
R3/93 Cody Kessler - Traded in '18
R4/99 Joe Schobert - Solid for his four seasons in Cleveland. 
R4/114 Ricardo Louis - Waived in '19
R4/129 Derrick Kindred - Waived in '19
R4/138 Seth DeValve - Waived in '19
R5/154 Jordan Payton - Waived in '17
R5/168 Spencer Drango - Waived in '18
R5/172 Rashard Higgins - Was productive enough. 
R5/173 Trey Caldwell - Waived in '17
R7/250 Scooby Wright III - Waived/PS in '16.

2/14

R1/1 Myles Garrett - Obvious hit.
R1/25 Jabril Peppers - Traded as part of the OBJ deal. Was productive, but still will call it a miss since he only played 2 seasons in CLE.
R1/29 David Njoku - Has flashed but never full delivered.
R2/52 DeShone Kizer - Bust
R3/65 Larry Ogunjobi - Productive in his four seasons. Allowed to walk.
R4/126 Howard Wilson - Waived in '19
R5/160 Roderick Johnson - Waived in '18
R6/185 Caleb Brantley - Waived in '18
R7/224 Zane Gonzalez - Waived in '18
R7/252 Matt Rayes - Waived in '18

2/10. 

R1/1 Baker Mayfield - Nope
R1/4 Denzel Ward - This one they hit
R2/33 Austin Corbett - Traded in 2019
R2/35 Nick Chubb - Hit
R3/67 Chad Thomas - Waived in '20
R4/105 Antonio Callaway - Waived in '19
R5/150 Genard Avery - Traded in '19
R6/175 Damion Ratley - Waived in '20
R6/188 Simeon Thomas - Waived in '18

2/9

R2/46 Greedy Williams - On the one hand, he's still on the team. On the other hand, he's average at best.
R3/80 Sione Takitaki - Has played well
R4/119 Sheldrick Redwine - Waived in '21
R5/155 Mack Wilson - Traded in '22
R5/170 Austin Seibert - Waived in '20
R6/189 - Drew Forbes - Waived in '22
R7/221 Donnie Lewis - Waived in '20

1/7

R1/10 Jedrick Willis - Has been fine. But is fine enough for a top 10 pick?
R2/44 Grant Delpit - Has been bad in coverage, alright in run defense.
R3/88 Jordan Elliott - Hasn't really developed yet
R3/97 Jacob Phillips - Hasn't really been good
R4/115 Harrison Bryant - Hasn't really done anything
R5/160 Nick Harris - Depth, but also hasn't done a lot.
R6/187 Donovan Peoples-Jones - All the talent, but no production. Maybe Watson will unlock him.

I guess 1.5 out of 7? But man, that might be pushing it.

11.5/65 overall. And I may have been generous.

Edited by Striker