Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

I believe Murphys role is primarily a business/NFL political role handling projects and spearheading the direction of the franchise.  I dont think he gets involved in the day to day roster moves of the organization but wants to be informed on major decisions (Rodgers Ext).  Probably wants to know major trade ideas, but won't interfere with what Gute wants to do.  Just trying to avoid another Hadl type trade.  I think for the mostpart he stays out of their decisions, but wants to be informed.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I was spot on about the Rodgers outcome and will be proven spot on about how Murphy's departure will mark a return to a more traditional business side only replacement. I also had LaFleur #2 on the Packers list of McCarthy replacements long before any candidates emerged publicly but because their top target chose not to pursue the job before interviews even began, it's all anyone remembers. People will remember what they want to remember. I can't control that. I'm not afraid to tell people what's coming.

When was the last time a team moved on from a player coming off either an All Pro or MVP season in the last 20 years?  Teams simply don't just move on from QBs coming off MVP seasons.  That's a quick way for EVERYONE to lose their job.

Yeah, I remember you being adamant that Matt Campbell was going to be our HC.

• Like 2

Murphy openly stated the change in structure that made coach, GM, and chief negotiator 3 separate silos that answered to him. He made himself the final arbiter when the any of the 3 sides was in disagreement with another. That a clear departure from the structure the Packers had held since the hiring of Ron Wolf. One in which the GM was the final say on all with a coach and contract negotiator that answered to him. Short memories are a sight to behold.

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Murphy openly stated the change in structure that made coach, GM, and chief negotiator 3 separate silos that answered to him. He made himself the final arbiter when the any of the 3 sides was in disagreement with another. That a clear departure from the structure the Packers had held since the hiring of Ron Wolf. One in which the GM was the final say on all with a coach and contract negotiator that answered to him. Short memories are a sight to behold.

Yes.  And we saw how it worked when McCarthy was openly disgruntled with TT's refusal to part ways with draft picks for win-now talent.  There's no perfect power structure, and the sooner you realize that the better.

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Sources....

Is this Peter Bukowski?!!?

No, it's the guy who guaranteed 1717237 times last year that Love would be gone this past summer. He's back with more inside knowledge for us plebs, just bask in the glory of it and don't question it ok?

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

When was the last time a team moved on from a player coming off either an All Pro or MVP season in the last 20 years?  Teams simply don't just move on from QBs coming off MVP seasons.  That's a quick way for EVERYONE to lose their job.

Yeah, I remember you being adamant that Matt Campbell was going to be our HC.

Murphy was enamored with Matt Campbell at the stage when all candidates were on the peripheral. No one in the organization ever expected a guy coaching at Iowa State to not even so much as interview for the chance to coach the Green Bay Packers. The list I shared had 1) Matt Campbell 2) Matt LaFleur and 3) Dan Campbell. And I exclaimed then and there that MC would be the next Packers coach on the admittedly false assumption that the job would be his if he wanted it. And why the hell wouldn't he? Based on what I heard, MC would have had to poop his pants and then roll around in the mess he made during his interview, to not get the job. When MC chose to commit to Iowa State, it was LaFleur who filled the role of the candidate the team became enamored with after interviews. So much so, that they canceled a 2nd round of interviews that Gute assumed was coming next. That's not saying Gute wasn't on board with hiring MLF, just that it was Murphy who pushed to shut things down right then and there.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You still follow his trash TMZ website?

I like the layout better than any other news site.

I check it frequently for updates.

Don’t like him at all, but I like how he calls out certain aspects of Rodgers/Packers dynamics.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

Murphy was enamored with Matt Campbell at the stage when all candidates were on the peripheral. No one in the organization ever expected a guy coaching at Iowa State to not even so much as interview for the chance to coach the Green Bay Packers. The list I shared had 1) Matt Campbell 2) Matt LaFleur and 3) Dan Campbell. When MC chose to commit to Iowa State, it was LaFleur who filled the role of the candidate the team became enamored with after interviews. So much so, that they canceled a 2nd round of interviews that Gute assumed was coming next. That's not saying Gute wasn't on board with hiring MLF, just that it was Murphy who pushed to shut things down right then and there.

Matt Campbell was probably 1A or 1B for most HC jobs.  Him being atop the Packers' wishlist wasn't a surprise.  LaFleur was also a heavily rumored name for HC gigs, even after his only year in Tennessee as OC.  Can Campbell was really the only "surprise" on the list of names you mentioned, and that's because he wasn't viewed as much of an X's and O's guys more a "rah rah" type of HC.  Campbell pretty much had his choice of any HC opening in CFB, and probably would have been the front runner for most NFL gigs if he was willing to make the jump.

And if there really was a "3 silos" in place, if any of the "3 silos" objected to ending the interview process after the first round why would they have done what they did?  They were concerned that LaFleur would blow another team's FO away, and he'd be hired away before they had the opportunity to hire him.  Let's use logic here.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I like the layout better than any other news site.

I check it frequently for updates.

Don’t like him at all, but I like how he calls out certain aspects of Rodgers/Packers dynamics.

It honestly reminds me of Walter Football tbh.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Matt Campbell was probably 1A or 1B for most HC jobs.  Him being atop the Packers' wishlist wasn't a surprise.  LaFleur was also a heavily rumored name for HC gigs, even after his only year in Tennessee as OC.  Can Campbell was really the only "surprise" on the list of names you mentioned, and that's because he wasn't viewed as much of an X's and O's guys more a "rah rah" type of HC.  Campbell pretty much had his choice of any HC opening in CFB, and probably would have been the front runner for most NFL gigs if he was willing to make the jump.

And if there really was a "3 silos" in place, if any of the "3 silos" objected to ending the interview process after the first round why would they have done what they did?  They were concerned that LaFleur would blow another team's FO away, and he'd be hired away before they had the opportunity to hire him.  Let's use logic here.

Gute didn't object, he simply didn't put up a fight to canceling the 2nd round he was preparing for and fully thought was coming. Make no mistake though, Murphy has been overstepping from the start. He's not a bad guy. He's not even that off base with his decisions. The real problem with the structure he's created, is the lack of direction that comes with a clear power structure and singular directive. Heck I could be convinced that having Murphy make ALL decisions might have the Packers in a better place right now. Though I doubt I ultimately would be convinced of that. Interjecting yourself here and there on the other hand is clearly disastrous.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

51 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Yes of course. Murphy was fine in the role as a business builder until he injected himself into team building. I stated it was a disaster on the day Murphy implemented it and time will show me to be correct. We're witnessing it firsthand right now. When it's all said and done, nearly everyone will see it and speak openly about it.

You mean if we dismiss the 13 win seasons, right?

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

You mean if we dismiss the 13 win seasons, right?

Nope. Don't dismiss them just as none of you will give him a pass if this plane crashes. Ultimately they didn't get the job done and now the future is on very shaky ground. The one iota of data we'll all be able to point to in deciding whether or not the silos were a good idea, is when they return the Team President role to the level of authority at which Bob Harlan so competently executed it. That will make a strong argument that the silos was a bad idea. At least it will show how it was viewed upon in the eyes of the organization. The Packers organization will at that point have said that three 13 win seasons was not enough to maintain the role that Murphy turned it into. That will speak clearly.

Btw, it wouldn't shock me at all if Murphy himself at his retirement says it's time to revert back to a structure where the silos go away and that his replacement will be business side only. I wouldn't even be shocked for him to admit he had good intentions with it but that it was ultimately a mistake. It would be an admirable comeuppance and I'd applaud him for it.

Also, everything I have ever posted here is either complete conjecture or entirely made up out of thin air. It is strictly coincidence that some of it has turned out to be accurate. I do not know a single member of the Packers executive committee and have never had any inside knowledge shared directly to me by anyone in the organization. It will be a total hoot though when Murphy retires and the team eliminates the silos and restores the President job to a background business role.