The Disneyland/World Thread

NickButera

Just got back from Disneyland, we're Disneyland-aholocis. We go ever year. And every year we find new things to do, tips, hints, etc. If there's a lot of you out there that go to world/land, it would be nice to have an updated tip thread. Our next trip is Thanksgiving 2023. 

For instance: 

Dont:

Stay at the paradise pier hotel. It's under construction and 95% of it is shut down. They have limited elevators and their new system doesn't work well. We got stuck on the 3rd floor for 20 minutes and missed early entry. Absolutely no Disney experience. (However we did inform them of how bad it was and they gave us 50% off our next stay at The Disneyland hotel) 

Buy water at the park. It's $4 a bottle. Get a pack down the street from a store. Or Disney gives them out poolside. 

Do:

Plan a trip next year. It's their 100th anniversary and will be doing special things all year, like special fireworks shows. 

Stay at a Disney hotel. You get entrance 30 minutes before everyone else. This is new since August. We hit up 6-10 rides between early entry and rope drop, before 10am. When it got busy we hit the food, non-ride stuff, character appearances, parades, pictures, etc. Went back for a pool afternoon and came back to the park at 5 when the dinner rush leaves and hit up more rides all night. It was amazing. 

If you stay on a club level (it cost a bit more) you get free food (meals) all day long, bottled drinks too, this can easily pay for itself as food is one of the most expensive things and you can skip meals if you do pools afternoons or evenings)

Be willing to go down the road for food or shopping. The nearby Target has TONS of Disney stuff, including matching clothes, etc. Some things are better bought not at the park. 

Hit Star wars, Spiderman, etc other lightning lane paid experience at rope drop. You won't have to pay for the lightning lane, just get in the regular line and you'll get in very fast. Crowded lines start around 10am and beyond. You don't even have to run like most crazy's, just walk and you'll get right on. 

Let the staff know about anything that bothered you, was truly inconvenient, etc. Their customer service is world-class. 

Tell the shops in Disneyland you want the items you bought saved at the front gate. They'll send them there to hold for you. 

Buy the $10,000 R2D2 remote control droid. I want to see it. Please. 

• Like 3

I was in Disneyworld this past July/august.   If you go to Epcot, do whatever you  can to get on the Guardians of the Galaxy ride.  I’m not a huge rollercoaster person, but that ride was awesome.  It’ll go forwards and backwards, but the cart you’re in will also spin 360 degrees.  A lot of fun.

We did a lot of the all you can eat restaurants too:

-  Liberty Tree Tavern (magic kingdom):  Best meal of the trip.  Think Thanksgiving on steroids.  All you can eat turkey, pot roast, garlic mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, Mac n cheese, and I’m probably forgetting some.  Then their dessert is some cookie skillet thing that was phenomenal.  After many hours of walking through the heat, humidity, and craziness that comes with Disney this meal hit the spot like none other.

-  Chef Mickeys (I forget the hotel - contemporary?):  All you can eat breakfast buffet.  Food sucked, but if youve got kids they get to meet Mickey, Minnie, goofy, Pluto, and Donald Duck so that’s cool I guess.  But it’s like $45 per adult.

- Whispering Canyon Cafe (wilderness):  all you can eat barbecue restaurant.  Brisket, pulled pork, sausage links, pulled chicken, chicken, etc.  Very good food, close second to liberty tree tavern.  The wait staff here tends to be intentionally sarcastic/rude with their guests as a part of their shtick, so be prepared for that and be willing to give it back to them.  If you ask for ketchup, they will announce to the whole restaurant that you need ketchup and you will end up with like 15 bottles of ketchup at your table.

Ohana (Polynesian):  Another all you can eat breakfast, but i thought the food was far superior to chef mickeys.  If you’re looking for a good breakfast and don’t care about meeting the characters, go to Ohana.

Im sure I’ve got more thoughts, just can’t think of them now.  I also married into a crazy Disney family and was not prepared for my first visit there with them.  I will never financially recover from that trip.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:55 PM, NickButera said:

Plan a trip next year.

We’re actually planning on goin in May - my wife is finishing her Masters’ program in May and actually going to walk the stage at Fl Inst of Tech, so we’re going to take a week to celebrate with the kiddos.

I’ll probably ping you closer to the date to get an idea on what to do. Thanks!

I went to Disney World 4 years ago and Disney Land 2 weeks ago. I think I'm set for life. Definitely very little desire to go back to either one any time soon. There are way better ways to spend money on a vacation than giving it to the mouse.

Required viewing for any Disney park fanatic:

Edited by skywindO2

Also my favorite part of my trip to Disneyworld was getting seats at the bar at Trader Sams. 

And an additional, and maybe controversial Disney opinion, Rise of the Resistance is a fun experience, and very impressively engineered, but ultimately it's a pretty boring ride. The Avatar Flight of Passage is much better.

Edited by skywindO2

23 hours ago, ET80 said:

We’re actually planning on goin in May - my wife is finishing her Masters’ program in May and actually going to walk the stage at Fl Inst of Tech, so we’re going to take a week to celebrate with the kiddos.

I’ll probably ping you closer to the date to get an idea on what to do. Thanks!

I highly recommend Universal Studios over Disney. But that’s just me. 

• Like 1

Been to every Disney park in the world. I can see why some would hate them. Hong Kong's is the worst of the bunch. Quite enjoy Shanghai's as it's also reasonably priced. Wife and I can stay in the Disney hotel, get concierge service and fast passes, and do a 2-day park pass for about 600 dollars.

Have only done the LA park with a friend of the family that is part of Club 33 so my opinion is swayed by never waiting in line there.