Fire Dennis Allen

gen. manager

This hire has been awful. I could be proven wrong but I just don’t see it. The robotic, emotionless way of operating just isn’t it. There’s a reason why some people remain assistants rather than the head man. This guy can’t do it. 7 games in, I’ve seen enough. Give him until mid season next year and pull the plug. Give the next head coach a chance at a first round pick unless you can get 1 for Sean Payton in the upcoming draft. And Mickey Loomis should be on the hot seat as well. 

I generally give the benefit or doubt, but I'm rapidly losing it.

Sure, there are lots of injuries (this is a fact), but to my point several weeks ago, all of the mistakes are evidence of lack of focus, not lack of talent.

Our turnover differential is the worst in the league, which means players aren't in the right positions (coaching)

We barely beat the 3-3 Falcons, Lost to the 3-3 Buccs, Lost to the 1-5 Panthers, Lost to 2-3 (at the time) Bengals, Lost to the 2-4 (at the time) Cardinals, and barely beat the lowly Seahawks. The only "good loss" was to the Vikings who are kicking some butt.

Penalties, dropped passes, fumbled balls, horrible line play (on both sides), blown coverages... Is this even the same team as last year??

My favorite DA line from the Cardinals game was:
Interviewer - What did you say to Andy Dalton about his 2 pick 6's at the end of the half?
DA - I just told him to keep doing what he's doing.
Me - WHAT???!!!! The worst answer ever!! What did he really say? And if that's what he really said, we've got the wrong guy.

You can tell when a coach isn't the right one, and I think we all know, now.

3 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I generally give the benefit or doubt, but I'm rapidly losing it.

Sure, there are lots of injuries (this is a fact), but to my point several weeks ago, all of the mistakes are evidence of lack of focus, not lack of talent.

Our turnover differential is the worst in the league, which means players aren't in the right positions (coaching)

We barely beat the 3-3 Falcons, Lost to the 3-3 Buccs, Lost to the 1-5 Panthers, Lost to 2-3 (at the time) Bengals, Lost to the 2-4 (at the time) Cardinals, and barely beat the lowly Seahawks. The only "good loss" was to the Vikings who are kicking some butt.

Penalties, dropped passes, fumbled balls, horrible line play (on both sides), blown coverages... Is this even the same team as last year??

My favorite DA line from the Cardinals game was:
Interviewer - What did you say to Andy Dalton about his 2 pick 6's at the end of the half?
DA - I just told him to keep doing what he's doing.
Me - WHAT???!!!! The worst answer ever!! What did he really say? And if that's what he really said, we've got the wrong guy.

You can tell when a coach isn't the right one, and I think we all know, now.

That halftime interview paired with him being emotionless on the sideline every game have soured me on him completely. He has absolutely no fire whatsoever. He had passion on the sideline as the DC. All you see from him now is the same robotic, stoic expression. 

• Like 1

Just now, JMG5 said:

That halftime interview paired with him being emotionless on the sideline every game have soured me on him completely. He has absolutely no fire whatsoever. He had passion on the sideline as the DC. All you see from him now is the same robotic, stoic expression. 

I agree.

I am "hoping" we see a different team when our key contributors are back in the lineup. There's no substitute for "on field" leadership, which we're severely lacking, aside from Cam Jordan. We need Lattimore, Winston, Thomas etc...

One thing that does worry me is that I believe because the job is so unattractive, he may get 3 years to fix this. At least 2.5 years. No QB, terrible cap situation and a team with a terrible training staff. This won’t be an easy fix. And there’s a weird chance, because this team does have talent, they’ll give the front office enough hope to keep him around longer than they should. 

• Like 1

So I missed the Cardinals game not realizing it was a Thursday game so I don't know how that game played out, but the rest of the games seem so weird.  It's like pretty much everyone of those games were winnable, even with considerable injuries to our players, but they just seem to drop the ball and lose.  It's quite vexing.  I'm not sure if replacing DA would actually fix the issues going forward or not.  It might just be one of those years where you see a team lose more games than you would expect based on normal expectations in these situations and end up a great team next year, similar to some teams that win more games than expected and then have a huge letdown the following year.

Either way I think that the Saints will have a chance at a decent QB in the second round.  I think Hendon Hooker, the Tennessee QB, might be available in the early 2nd round due to the fact that he's already 24 years old, 25 when the draft happens.  Drafting an older QB like that won't be in the 1st round unless you're the Browns but he could be a great options for the Saints at the top of the 2nd with their 1st pick.  Good enough that he could come in and stabilize the QB position for a few years with their bevy of skill position players and take some pressure off of the defense.

• Like 1

I can't really put my finger on it, but here's what I can see, I can see that our players seem to not have focus. I have said that over and over, and I won't stop saying it.

I watched the Sunday night game with the Dolphins, their first-year head coach, and their energy. Every receiver was making contested catches. They didn't drop anything! I said to myself, man, if our receivers acted like that, we would be undefeated right now. 

I'm speculating that Dennis Allen doesn't know how to get these guys fired up. they are just not taking to him. I don't know who they are wanting to play for, but it doesn't seem to be DA. 

I don't think that makes Allen a bad person, just maybe not head coach material.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 4:59 PM, gen. manager said:

One thing that does worry me is that I believe because the job is so unattractive, he may get 3 years to fix this. At least 2.5 years. No QB, terrible cap situation and a team with a terrible training staff. This won’t be an easy fix. And there’s a weird chance, because this team does have talent, they’ll give the front office enough hope to keep him around longer than they should. 

I disagree the job isn't attractive. This is a talented roster. Look at what Daboll is doing in NY with what I think is a far less "talented" roster. If you get a good HC in here, this team can easily win 10 games even with Dalton/Winston. I still think the defense can turn this season around. Our offense has been good, if the defense can even be 80% of what it was last year, we will be okay.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kingram said:
On 10/21/2022 at 4:59 PM, gen. manager said:

I disagree the job isn't attractive. This is a talented roster. Look at what Daboll is doing in NY with what I think is a far less "talented" roster. If you get a good HC in here, this team can easily win 10 games even with Dalton/Winston. I still think the defense can turn this season around. Our offense has been good, if the defense can even be 80% of what it was last year, we will be okay.

Yeah, the only thing "unattractive" about the New Orleans job is the lack of a franchise QB and the necessary draft pick to try to draft one high this year.  The OL has 2 young studs firmly entrenched with Penning likely to be the 3rd.  Ruiz is starting to come around, though still a project.  The skill positions are loaded with MT, Olave, Kamara for long term and even Landry for a potential few years.  The defense is also damn good with it's biggest weakness probably being the safeties.

I’ve lived through the 2.5 years of DA with the Raiders. Sounds like he’s the exact same lousy coach as before. He went 8-28 for a reason. Most nfl circles blamed that on the Raiders inability to draft and organization at the time. However, he made no adjustments , very uninspirsting character, puzzling decisions and players saw right through him

You’ll be better off firing him at The end of the season. Don’t let another offseason in his hands. DA won’t get better. 

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 2

I’ve watched almost no saints ball this year, I despise the team for pursuing Watson and I would have liked to see Allen fired just for that bull****… the CJGJ trade was the twist of the dagger…

that said, it’s like DA is just trying to emulate Payton.

As a DC he was high energy. Scream-celebrating with players, violent mid-air chest bumps, almost unhinged moments when the game was on the line and Allen looked animalistic and ravenous on the sidelines.

Now he’s just deadpan. Doesn’t look like he cares, just scowls and stares. It’s clear he’s just copying Payton, without being a genius on one side of the ball.

Allen lost the spark that made him a fan favorite, and I think it was a conscious decision to try to copy Payton.

Edited by Dome

I’m pretty neutral on Allen at this juncture. Hard to even get a good read on him as I don’t believe his coaching or play design is among the bigger reasons why our record is what it currently is.

Another year of getting demolished with injuries hasn’t helped. On offense alone we lost our LT before the regular season, our QB has injured numerous parts of his body, Kamara got hurt week 1 and missed a couple games, Thomas has missed the past 4+ games, Landry has missed the past 4+games, Andrus Peat has missed a couple games, Deonte Hardy is on IR. We aren’t even half way through the season and have had 6 offensive starters miss multiple games.

Despite all these injuries, we somehow have been in pretty much every game this season. In the losses we have had players make silly errors such as costly (uncharacteristic) fumbles or unnecessary penalties (some questionable calls by the refs as well) that have killed our chances late in games. That in my opinion isn’t on Dennis Allen. That is simply players not executing a gameplan properly. 

The good news is that these are easily correctable issues instead of it being a lack of roster talent, which isn’t really correctable this season. The rest of our division is doing us favors by playing poorly. We could come out of this weekend’s game tied for first in the NFC South, which seems like a minor miracle given how our season has gone this far.

Honestly...Division is there for the taking, and it seems like the Saints might've taken a big step over the mini-bye. The defense is very much back and should only get better with Lattimore coming back. Dalton is definitely the best option moving forward and once again, the Saints might have themselves a franchise changing draft class.

If Penning is a legit starting LT we absolutely crushed this draft. Chris Olave, Trevor Penning and Alontae Taylor all look like potential cornerstone players.

• Like 1