Time to Fire LaFleur, Gute, and Murphy And Burn The House Down

LLcheesehead12

14 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

Matt LaFleur is awful on his two minute drill play calling and clock management.

What the **** was that?

I can see MLF's thought process. He didn't want to give Dallas another 30 seconds to get down the field into FG range for the win, which is what would have happened if you throw incomplete on first or second down.

It was 3rd and 1 with 0:30 left. I would have ran and planned on going for it on 4th down just to run out another play. But clearly MLF had a play action call that he liked, so I get the thought process.

Cold game but the heat is back on him now.  Granted the players were low energy most of the game, and being on a short week with no bye week this late in the season ... That is tough sledding.  I hate our schedule.

But still ... LaFleur hired Barry, and Barry got schooled by a non elite offense tonight.  One thing is for sure you can't count on the defense to pull us across the finish line this season.  LaFleur has one more opportunity I think to get us back into the playoff race by beating Philly in the next one.  A tall, but not impossible task.  If he doesn't ... axe him and his lousy DC.

Simply insane that you’re trying to go on one last short contract with Rodgers to win a ring and you hire someone obviously worse than Mike Pettine to try to get you there. You hire the equivalent of the assist manager of a Best Buy to put a defense on the field. 

I'll say this though ... I'm pretty close to adding Darnell Savage to the Gute bust picks list.  For a vet like him now in year four to keep missing assignments and getting lost in coverage out there, that's bad.  A rookie like Quay Walker I can understand.  ILB is tough for a rookie.  But Savage needs to be doing better than this at this point.  Almost worse than HHCD.

Well said! The truth does set us free. His trajectory should be pointing upwards based on his physical ability and years of experience. But it's not. And his coaches appear helpless to improve his play, more readily play him in better positions or even sit him down to get his attention. Maybe it's just the way I was coached several eons ago...but I just am not seeing any Green Bay coach get in some player's face about a dumb mistake. Maybe he needs some ayahuasca too?

5 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I'll say this though ... I'm pretty close to adding Darnell Savage to the Gute bust picks list.  For a vet like him now in year four to keep missing assignments and getting lost in coverage out there, that's bad.  A rookie like Quay Walker I can understand.  ILB is tough for a rookie.  But Savage needs to be doing better than this at this point.  Almost worse than HHCD.

With Savage you have to decide how much of Savage's play is on him and how much is on the scheme he has to  operate in.  You don't want to commit another Casey Hayward mistake and watch a player shine in another teams backfield (which in Casey's case, was the Chargers). The Packers need to be on the Amos side of a deal, not the Clinton-Dix side.

One sign of a bad coordinator, is failing to scheme things that emphasise what any given player does do well and minimise giving them assignments where they do not do well. Not everyone can be a do-everything player. 

It takes a better analyst than me to determine who carries the bulk of the blame, between Barry and Savage. I'd be tempted to put more blame on Barry, but that is just my gut feeling and not really backed up by analysis.

PS. Since typing this comment I've read a piece on CheeseheadTV by Will Ferreira saying much the same, though he was commenting on the whole of the backfield.
(See 'Why an in-season defensive coaching change is the right move').

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

With Savage you have to decide how much of Savage's play is on him and how much is on the scheme he has to  operate in.  You don't want to commit another Casey Hayward mistake and watch a player shine in another teams backfield (which in Casey's case, was the Chargers). The Packers need to be on the Amos side of a deal, not the Clinton-Dix side.

One sign of a bad coordinator, is failing to scheme things that emphasise what any given player does do well and minimise giving them assignments where they do not do well. Not everyone can be a do-everything player. 

It takes a better analyst than me to determine who carries the bulk of the blame, between Barry and Savage. I'd be tempted to put more blame on Barry, but that is just my gut feeling and not really backed up by analysis.

PS. Since typing this comment I've read a piece on CheeseheadTV by Will Ferreira saying much the same, though he was commenting on the whole of the backfield.

Scheme or player? Sometimes it's unclear, sometimes not. One clip posted by someone here shows the Titans' TE lined up in the slot. Savage is across from him. When the ball is snapped the TE takes off downfield. Instead of covering him, Savage charges the line of scrimmage leaving the TE wide open for a big gain. Was that scheme or player? I'm putting it on player. Packers were playing man-to-man and Savage must have thought it was zone. Half way through his 4th year, Savage shouldn't be making those kinds of mistakes. Now maybe zone was called and Savage missed a read that changed it to man-to-man. Who knows, but Savage seems to be making the bulk of the mistakes.

As far as playing to the player's strength, on that play, Savage has plenty of speed to run with any TE. 

On 11/19/2022 at 2:35 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Oh no question Barry has blame.  I hope his butt gets booted out of here by season's end.

But I just feel like Savage doesn't have good instincts.  Like I said, rookie safeties I don't expect as much of those instincts to materialize right away.  But 4th year players, that bar has to be set higher agnostic of scheme I feel like.

On 11/19/2022 at 7:56 AM, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Scheme or player? Sometimes it's unclear, sometimes not. One clip posted by someone here shows the Titans' TE lined up in the slot. Savage is across from him. When the ball is snapped the TE takes off downfield. Instead of covering him, Savage charges the line of scrimmage leaving the TE wide open for a big gain. Was that scheme or player? I'm putting it on player. Packers were playing man-to-man and Savage must have thought it was zone. Half way through his 4th year, Savage shouldn't be making those kinds of mistakes. Now maybe zone was called and Savage missed a read that changed it to man-to-man. Who knows, but Savage seems to be making the bulk of the mistakes.

As far as playing to the player's strength, on that play, Savage has plenty of speed to run with any TE. 

Yup, covering what I said in that his instincts are bad, or at least subpar for what I expect out of a 4th year FS.

And that's no defense of Barry.  His scheme is all around is bad, but players with bad instincts who fail to diagnose where plays could go make everything worse.

• Like 1