Blow it up! Off-season wishes/ideas

one_of_a_kind24

I’m fascinated to see what Jason Licht does this offseason. He has a couple interesting situations going on

1.) Jamel Dean is the best corner on the team. The problem is he’s a free agent, he’s not elite(top 12 though) and you just paid Davis 15 mill per year. He’s gonna want the bag, so you’re gonna pay? Are you gonna pay 2 non elite Corners 15 plus a year? Not to mention AWJ who is actually elite is gonna want a new contract. 

2.)What do you do with Devin white? One week he looks like a top 5 LB, the next a scrub, do you let him walk?

3.)Mike evans has 1 year left on his deal, you gonna extend him? But for how much? You just paid Godwin 20 a year and Gage is making 10 million. So let’s say you give him over 20 year, you’re gonna invest 50 plus million in a WR core with no one is top 5 at their position, the lead guy being 29?

I think JL is gonna engage in what is called a soft rebuild year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

I’m fascinated to see what Jason Licht does this offseason. He has a couple interesting situations going on

1.) Jamel Dean is the best corner on the team. The problem is he’s a free agent, he’s not elite(top 12 though) and you just paid Davis 15 mill per year. He’s gonna want the bag, so you’re gonna pay? Are you gonna pay 2 non elite Corners 15 plus a year? Not to mention AWJ who is actually elite is gonna want a new contract. 

2.)What do you do with Devin white? One week he looks like a top 5 LB, the next a scrub, do you let him walk?

3.)Mike evans has 1 year left on his deal, you gonna extend him? But for how much? You just paid Godwin 20 a year and Gage is making 10 million. So let’s say you give him over 20 year, you’re gonna invest 50 plus million in a WR core with no one is top 5 at their position, the lead guy being 29?

I think JL is gonna engage in what is called a soft rebuild year 

I think it goes even deeper. Lavonte David, Mike Edwards, Jamel Dean, Sean Murphy-Bunting, Scotty Miller, Nick Leverett (erfa), Aaron Stinnie, Tom Brady are all FA next year(23) with Mike Evans, Donovan Smith, Devin White, Antoine Winfield Jr., Ryan Succop(24) 

While our secondary is vastly imporved to what it was a few years ago, in 2023 we will only have 4 players in the entire secondary under contract and 2 defensive lineman with just Kyle Trask as our QB.  

So I worry unless we can get people to take team friendly contracts, which I think will be hard after the season we're having, we'll need to rebuild while Brady and other players are taking up about 45 million in dead cap with void years next year alone which would leave us about 4 mill over the cap as of right now.

8 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

I think it goes even deeper. Lavonte David, Mike Edwards, Jamel Dean, Sean Murphy-Bunting, Scotty Miller, Nick Leverett (erfa), Aaron Stinnie, Tom Brady are all FA next year(23) with Mike Evans, Donovan Smith, Devin White, Antoine Winfield Jr., Ryan Succop(24) 

While our secondary is vastly imporved to what it was a few years ago, in 2023 we will only have 4 players in the entire secondary under contract and 2 defensive lineman with just Kyle Trask as our QB.  

So I worry unless we can get people to take team friendly contracts, which I think will be hard after the season we're having, we'll need to rebuild while Brady and other players are taking up about 45 million in dead cap with void years next year alone which would leave us about 4 mill over the cap as of right now.

I forgot about Wirfs. He’s the best player on the team and the best player in the league at his position. He’s a free agent after next year and I’d be shocked if they let him go. He and AWJ are the only guys  I would be shocked if they weren’t on the roster 3 years from this date.

I think what Licht does the next 12-18 months will decide the Bucs long term future 

Edited by CP3MVP

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, CP3MVP said:

I forgot about Wirfs. He’s the best player on the team and the best player in the league at his position. He’s a free agent after next year and I’d be shocked if they let him go. He and AWJ are the only guys  I would be shocked if they weren’t on the roster 3 years from this date.

I think what Licht does the next 12-18 months will decide the Bucs long term future 

Our cap situation is hell. Wirfs will immediately have his 5th year option picked in this upcoming offseason but Winfield will be going into a contract year. I expect Dean to be Franchised. 

- I wouldn't be surpised if Devin White is shopped for a trade this offseason. I can see us working out a deal to keep David if he still wants to be here. 

- I think Donovan Smith will finally be let go this offseason. I think the contract is too big and cap decisions are going to be made. 

- This will also be Brates lasst year in Tampa unless he takes another cut. 

- Shaq Barret will also be someone to keep an eye on. I'm not sure if the Bucs shop him or cut him if his cap it isn't too significant. 

A lot of Buc fans don't want to hear Rebuild - but it's going to happen in my opinion. I just hope Jason Licht knows what he's doing in terms of finding the next QB. Kyle Trash isn't the guy. Neither is Blaine. lol. I also don't believe he's gotten a fair shake at hiring Head Coaches except for BA. I think he was tied into HAVING TO HIRE Koetter and Bowles - which ownership gave into BA to keep the move in house. While the Glazers were afraid to lose Koetter to SF in 2015-2016 when they had him in for multiple interviews. I think we interviewed Sean McDermott that year too lol 

1 hour ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Our cap situation is hell. Wirfs will immediately have his 5th year option picked in this upcoming offseason but Winfield will be going into a contract year. I expect Dean to be Franchised. 

- I wouldn't be surpised if Devin White is shopped for a trade this offseason. I can see us working out a deal to keep David if he still wants to be here. 

- I think Donovan Smith will finally be let go this offseason. I think the contract is too big and cap decisions are going to be made. 

- This will also be Brates lasst year in Tampa unless he takes another cut. 

- Shaq Barret will also be someone to keep an eye on. I'm not sure if the Bucs shop him or cut him if his cap it isn't too significant. 

A lot of Buc fans don't want to hear Rebuild - but it's going to happen in my opinion. I just hope Jason Licht knows what he's doing in terms of finding the next QB. Kyle Trash isn't the guy. Neither is Blaine. lol. I also don't believe he's gotten a fair shake at hiring Head Coaches except for BA. I think he was tied into HAVING TO HIRE Koetter and Bowles - which ownership gave into BA to keep the move in house. While the Glazers were afraid to lose Koetter to SF in 2015-2016 when they had him in for multiple interviews. I think we interviewed Sean McDermott that year too lol 

I forgot about Shaq. He’s a really nice player but he’s a clear step behind the truly elite pass rushers in this league. I remember having to explain to some Bucs fans how he was nowhere close to dudes like Nick Bosa or TJ Watt or Myles Garrett when they kept saying “but but 19.5 Sacks bro” lol

39 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I forgot about Shaq. He’s a really nice player but he’s a clear step behind the truly elite pass rushers in this league. I remember having to explain to some Bucs fans how he was nowhere close to dudes like Nick Bosa or TJ Watt or Myles Garrett when they kept saying “but but 19.5 Sacks bro” lol

I feel like Shaq turns it on and off some times. For a guy thats getting paid like an elite pass rusher - he disappears and his get off can be lazy. He performed big time to get the bag. But since we handed him that deal - he disappeared in games when he was needed the most. 

3 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I feel like Shaq turns it on and off some times. For a guy thats getting paid like an elite pass rusher - he disappears and his get off can be lazy. He performed big time to get the bag. But since we handed him that deal - he disappeared in games when he was needed the most. 

One of the big reasons the rams and saints(prior to this year funny enough😆) owned Tampa in 2020/2021 is because he couldn’t do anything against their offensive lines. He would get consistently stonewalled and TB would have to bring the blitz to get home which led to disasters. 

Pending on how we finish, I see a real scenario where this roster could be gutted in the offseason in an attempt to acquire picks to rebuild. 

That means William Gholston, Donovan Smith, Shaq Mason, Cam Brate, and possibly Lavonte David will all be gone. 

I can see us dangling Devin White, Lazy Fat Lenny, and Carlton Davis on the trade block as well. 

Why not roll with Trash to start in 2023 knowing if he is Trash - you land a great chance at getting Williams at QB from USC. 

• Like 1

Needed some time to think about this season.  If Brady somehow returns in '23, I believe Bowles survives and a new OC is hired.  However, if Brady is gone, and they miss the playoffs (I have no interest in watching a 1st rd matchup with Dallas), I am struggling to understand how Bowles returns.  To tank for '24?  So the team should just punt on this QB class because the HC has no track record of developing a young QB.  I'm not smart enough to know if there is another Josh Allen from Wyoming at QB in this draft. I'll even throw in Lamar Jackson from Louisville picked at 32.  I certainly don't want Bowles anywhere near a rookie QB.  Todd Bowles is the defensive version of Norv Turner.  Excellent coordinators, mediocre HCs. The 2 SB wins came from offensive minded HCs.  If this is the end of the Brady, it was fun and a success.  The Glazers need to close the book completely.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Needed some time to think about this season.  If Brady somehow returns in '23, I believe Bowles survives and a new OC is hired.  However, if Brady is gone, and they miss the playoffs (I have no interest in watching a 1st rd matchup with Dallas), I am struggling to understand how Bowles returns.  To tank for '24?  So the team should just punt on this QB class because the HC has no track record of developing a young QB.  I'm not smart enough to know if there is another Josh Allen from Wyoming at QB in this draft. I'll even throw in Lamar Jackson from Louisville picked at 32.  I certainly don't want Bowles anywhere near a rookie QB.  Todd Bowles is the defensive version of Norv Turner.  Excellent coordinators, mediocre HCs. The 2 SB wins came from offensive minded HCs.  If this is the end of the Brady, it was fun and a success.  The Glazers need to close the book completely.

I think Levis has the most "Josh Allen-esque" potential

But the end result will also need a good offensive minded coach to nurture that potential out. Allen was super inaccurate year 1 and needed the coaching. 

I don't like many of these QBs in this draft so far but I haven't done a deep dive yet into scouting.

I do agree that Brady might come back but the only way I see that happening is with some coaching shake-up.

4 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I think Levis has the most "Josh Allen-esque" potential

But the end result will also need a good offensive minded coach to nurture that potential out. Allen was super inaccurate year 1 and needed the coaching. 

I don't like many of these QBs in this draft so far but I haven't done a deep dive yet into scouting.

I do agree that Brady might come back but the only way I see that happening is with some coaching shake-up.

The irony of Josh Allen was BUF moved up into the Bucs pick to draft him.  Bucs traded down and got Vea.  They were not going to draft him because of Jameis being drafted.

I have no faith in Bowles to be able to modernize the offense with drafting a mobile QB. 

The Glazers listened to BA about succession and it did not work.   

15 hours ago, ravishingone said:

The irony of Josh Allen was BUF moved up into the Bucs pick to draft him.  Bucs traded down and got Vea.  They were not going to draft him because of Jameis being drafted.

I have no faith in Bowles to be able to modernize the offense with drafting a mobile QB. 

The Glazers listened to BA about succession and it did not work.   

💯

We need a new staff post BA era (that includes a firesale on all BA links/previous coaches)

Preferably an offensive minded staff