Week 12: GameDay Thread Titans (6-4) vs. Colts (3-7)

KingTitan

8 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

For me, if you didn't look at stats and asked me "is this a better QB than he was last year?" I would say YES

our O has sputtered all year. Is he the main reason we have sputtered? Not in the slightest. Has he been able to overcome it and carry us? Unfortunately, no. I have faith that he will return to dramatic leaps in stats (like from year one to two) once our O gets fixed. By that point, I hope he has the experience under his belt to become a guy that could carry us. That's not something an alex smith can do, but I think he will be on a different level than smith 

and to kind of build on my last point

I'm trying to look at it all without considering W/L, as well as not considering stats.

You wanna see better TD numbers? We've been sputtering big time in the RZ all year and I don't think any of us can say Marcus is the reason for that. It's been playcalling and execution all year both running and passing. All things need to be in tune and we aren't -- as we see with missed holes, route miscommunication, poor blocking.

For a few weeks last year, our O looked like a well-oiled machine. We've yet to recreate that, but if a Year 2 Mariota can do stuff like that in an offense running on all cylinders, not all hope is lost. He's been throwing picks, yea, but I can't sit here and say that he's been missing passes all over the field all year and has regressed as a passer since 2016.

16 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

and to kind of build on my last point

I'm trying to look at it all without considering W/L, as well as not considering stats.

You wanna see better TD numbers? We've been sputtering big time in the RZ all year and I don't think any of us can say Marcus is the reason for that. It's been playcalling and execution all year both running and passing. All things need to be in tune and we aren't -- as we see with missed holes, route miscommunication, poor blocking.

For a few weeks last year, our O looked like a well-oiled machine. We've yet to recreate that, but if a Year 2 Mariota can do stuff like that in an offense running on all cylinders, not all hope is lost. He's been throwing picks, yea, but I can't sit here and say that he's been missing passes all over the field all year and has regressed as a passer since 2016.

We're 14th in scoring percentage inside the RZ, while only being 24th in RZ opportunities per game. Third down conversion, first downs per game, we're doing much worse in those categories than we do in RZ efficiency. I think it's fair to say it's more of a problem that we can't move the football well enough to get as often as we'd need or like to in RZ scoring opportunities, rather than say we can't score once we're there.

2 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

We're 14th in scoring percentage inside the RZ, while only being 24th in RZ opportunities per game. Third down conversion, first downs per game, we're doing much worse in those categories than we do in RZ efficiency. I think it's fair to say it's more of a problem that we can't move the football well enough to get as often as we'd need or like to in RZ scoring opportunities, rather than say we can't score once we're there.

Interesting -- we've definitely taken a jump in RZ TD scoring the past few weeks. Is there a stat out there that lists our average 3rd down distance?

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Also what about Daquan Jones? lol 
He was mentioned by someone wondering what his worth was....  He had a good game. Flashed. 

He flashed against a bad OL can he do I consistently & I’ll proudly eat crow & admit I was wrong. Yesterday was his best game I can remember as a titan did he have like 2 sacks 

38 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Interesting -- we've definitely taken a jump in RZ TD scoring the past few weeks. Is there a stat out there that lists our average 3rd down distance?

I don't think there is (and now I kind of hope there isn't, because I could've saved me a few minutes of doing some type of work on this and just google it instead), but there's an advanced NFL stats website that lets you set up your search to include for number of plays on a specific down (such as 3rd down) and you can choose for parameters such as distance to go being higher (or lower) than x. And, well, you can basically use that to determine the number of plays on a specific down and distance to go, which you can then do for all of them, add them all up and get their average. Which is 6.66, if my math did not fail me. Couldn't tell you what it is for the other 31 teams in the league, though.

54 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

He flashed against a bad OL can he do I consistently & I’ll proudly eat crow & admit I was wrong. Yesterday was his best game I can remember as a titan did he have like 2 sacks 

Well it's not about eating crow. Because I think it was fair criticism of him. Call him out again. Lol

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

For me, if you didn't look at stats and asked me "is this a better QB than he was last year?" I would say YES

see, i can't agree with this. i'm seeing poor play out of marcus that i simply haven't seen in years prior. there are the flashes of brilliance we've come to expect, yes, but he's more inconsistent as a passer than he's been since his rookie year.

34 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

see, i can't agree with this. i'm seeing poor play out of marcus that i simply haven't seen in years prior. there are the flashes of brilliance we've come to expect, yes, but he's more inconsistent as a passer than he's been since his rookie year.

He’s high, this is easily Marcus worse year. He’s skittish in the pocket, footwork is sloppy on throws at times, he starring his targets down & his interceptions makes you wonder Is he talking to Vince young while going through his progression ??

36 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

He’s high, this is easily Marcus worse year. He’s skittish in the pocket, footwork is sloppy on throws at times, he starring his targets down & his interceptions makes you wonder Is he talking to Vince young while going through his progression ??

I wish I was on that loud!!

Ive said it in other threads -- it's a slight difference in QB from last year, but it's a smarter QB. He had a lot of dumb throws that weren't picked last year that are now getting picked. But he's throwing the ball away a lot more, no fumbles, improved accuracy. All without a run game and consistent OL play. 

He is constantly being asked to throw in tight windows, due to scheme. WR play is down from last year ... the O as a whole is a mess and in shambles. But he has not regressed as a QB imo

30 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I wish I was on that loud!!

Ive said it in other threads -- it's a slight difference in QB from last year, but it's a smarter QB. He had a lot of dumb throws that weren't picked last year that are now getting picked. But he's throwing the ball away a lot more, no fumbles, improved accuracy. All without a run game and consistent OL play. 

He is constantly being asked to throw in tight windows, due to scheme. WR play is down from last year ... the O as a whole is a mess and in shambles. But he has not regressed as a QB imo

He is given a lot of defined reads.  Like @deeluxx3 says..it's almost like he HAS to throw it there. Again not a bright spot for the offense. Exhibit A is the pass to Walker yesterday. It was pretty much the only place he could throw the ball if he was going to throw it. 
He made a ridiculous throw. On the flip side, some of his INTs aren't a matter of trying to fit it into a tight window. It has been just some bad throws, along with his line or WR not doing him favors. 

Summary.....
He will be ok.

Last year... it was crazy how many of his turnovers were returned for TDs... I mean... it was a freak of nature stat... higher than any I had seen.

This year is similar in a different aspect.  His accuracy has been improved... but his mistakes... his bad passes... are all being picked off.  In the last two games alone, he's had 19 incompletions... a very good 67.2 comp % (would be top 5 in the NFL this season)... and 6 of those 19 incompletions were picked off... that's almost 1 of every 3... a 10.3 int % to be exact.  Ryan has completed 67.5% of his passes this year... at that rate of ints per incompletions, he'd have 37 ints this year. 

Marcus int % prior to the Steelers game was 2.6%, still high... would have him tied with Dalton just outside the bottom third of the league... but not horrible.  After the 10.3 from the past two games, he now sits at 3.9%... tied for 2nd worst in the league (tied with Watson, with Kizer the the only qualifying QBs worse than them).  

I'm sure there's an example or two... but I can't think of a single pass of his that should have been intercepted end up as a drop.  The Chargers dropped at least two of Bortles passes that should have been picked off... it happens almost in every game.  The second pick of Mariota yesterday could have been dropped... but with the way the ball's bounced for Mariota especially these last two games... it was picked off by another player off the bobble.

By the same token... all QBs experience drops... its part of the NFL.  But has any QB this year had as many perfectly placed TD passes dropped in the end zone?  These aren't passes that a WR got one hand on... or that they dove for... these have been passes that hit them in stride with no defender on them. 

There's been some bad luck that has hurt Mariota's stats.  He's made some bad throws... but his accuracy looks better this year than it did even last year.  And like Dee said above, he's doing this with an inconsistent run game that has put more of the burden on Mariota's shoulders.

Archived