Game #8 vs. Tennessee Titans

onejayhawk

Was unable to  watch . Kickoff at 2:20 AM over here. But Mahomes with 500 yds combined -twice as much as all TEN together - and they go to overtime? What was wrong?

Oh .. and the running backs. Truly looks like the OL got dominated ... ar least in the run game

I'm still processing how badly the OL played last night,   I don't expect them to dominate against great DL's but they got their butts handed to them in both phases last night.

It's hard to even gauge most of the offenses performance last night because everything was blown up at the line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedGold said:

I'm still processing how badly the OL played last night,   I don't expect them to dominate against great DL's but they got their butts handed to them in both phases last night.

It's hard to even gauge most of the offenses performance last night because everything was blown up at the line.

We need to get a better OL coach, Our lines have consistently been not good Hecks entire tenure here

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

We need to get a better OL coach, Our lines have consistently been not good Hecks entire tenure here

Won't disagree.      For awhile there,  I could point blame that we didn't really give him much to work with.  

Last night,  I'm not even sure it can be dialed down to scheme.   The players were just getting ran through.   Brown/Wylie I don't really expect to consistently dominate,  but even Smith should be taking a hard look in the mirror after last night.    That was ugly...  and makes it hard to even judge most of what we were trying to do on offense.

43 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Won't disagree.      For awhile there,  I could point blame that we didn't really give him much to work with.  

Last night,  I'm not even sure it can be dialed down to scheme.   The players were just getting ran through.   Brown/Wylie I don't really expect to consistently dominate,  but even Smith should be taking a hard look in the mirror after last night.    That was ugly...  and makes it hard to even judge most of what we were trying to do on offense.

Simmons is a top 5, if not top 3, DT in the NFL imo. He was going to get his wins no matter what. But Smith shouldn't have been that bad. He's definitely having some sophomore growing pains this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Simmons is a top 5, if not top 3, DT in the NFL imo. He was going to get his wins no matter what. But Smith shouldn't have been that bad. He's definitely having some sophomore growing pains this year.

+!

This is #4 in our tour of Top 10 defenses. See the Eagles vs Chiefs SB thread for another possibility.

We won this game at the line of scrimmage. In the second half, when Henry dominates, we shut him down. Late in the game, Mahomes had time to be Mahomes. They hit hard early but we ground them down. 

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

+!

This is #4 in our tour of Top 10 defenses. See the Eagles vs Chiefs SB thread for another possibility.

We won this game at the line of scrimmage. In the second half, when Henry dominates, we shut him down. Late in the game, Mahomes had time to be Mahomes. They hit hard early but we ground them down. 

Maybe along the DL.  But that is not even remotely true along the OL at any point in the game.   We won, on offense,  because Mahomes went Mahomes

The pass protection was better than it felt live. The run blocking absolutely was a problem, but that's not new. But 4 sacks and 3 QB hits on 74 dropbacks is actually above average, statistically. That's a lower sack rate than 22 NFL teams have allowed on the season. And it's lower than what the Titans have done on average on D this year. And that's not considering that they knew we were passing 95% of the time, and rushed accordingly. But, Mahomes was pressured on 17% of dropbacks, and the Titans average 23% on the season. This was actually a good game for the pass protection. It just didn't feel like it because we passed so much.