Dan Snyder Is Selling the Washington Franchise

MKnight82

My thought on the future name is probably something like 80% likelihood it remains Commanders, maybe 15% that they revisit and go with the fan favorite (Redwolves), a slim 5% that the new owner goes with a different choice based on his preference, and a firm 0% chance it ever goes back to being Redskins. 

I expect that the league is going to put its foot down about a name change. They will not want a team to go through a third name change/rebranding within 5 years if it can be avoided. “Commanders” is a lame name, but I imagine the league would strongly prefer that the new owner just try to make it work, rather than going back to the drawing board yet again and creating even more instability in that way. I think we’re stuck with it, and a big thank you to Dan and Ron for that. 

I would imagine that the new owner will have carte blanche to re-work the uniforms, logo, mascot, etc. Getting rid of all that amateurish stuff would be a nice consolation gift if we can’t get rid of the name.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

My thought on the future name is probably something like 80% likelihood it remains Commanders, maybe 15% that they revisit and go with the fan favorite (Redwolves), a slim 5% that the new owner goes with a different choice based on his preference, and a firm 0% chance it ever goes back to being Redskins. 

I expect that the league is going to put its foot down about a name change. They will not want a team to go through a third name change/rebranding within 5 years if it can be avoided. “Commanders” is a lame name, but I imagine the league would strongly prefer that the new owner just try to make it work, rather than going back to the drawing board yet again and creating even more instability in that way. I think we’re stuck with it, and a big thank you to Dan and Ron for that. 

I would imagine that the new owner will have carte blanche to re-work the uniforms, logo, mascot, etc. Getting rid of all that amateurish stuff would be a nice consolation gift if we can’t get rid of the name.

If I was paying $7 billion dollars for something I would want to name it whatever the hell I want.  It’s not like the commanders brand brings any value anyways.

• Like 6

Every day that goes by, I lose more and more faith. Yes, I know this takes time, but Dan hiding behind the EB hire is scaring me. Then he'll say he didn't get any offer he liked and just end up not selling. I've also read that he wants to keep a portion of the team for "his families legacy". Like your legacy couldn't be worse, you should want your families name completely torn from this franchise and try to make everyone forget you ever owned them. 

1 hour ago, Scott Land said:

Every day that goes by, I lose more and more faith. Yes, I know this takes time, but Dan hiding behind the EB hire is scaring me. Then he'll say he didn't get any offer he liked and just end up not selling. I've also read that he wants to keep a portion of the team for "his families legacy". Like your legacy couldn't be worse, you should want your families name completely torn from this franchise and try to make everyone forget you ever owned them. 

I mean, he really has no choice. He doesn't have the money to keep the team. This is why he's selling. He can't pay back the loan and build a stadium. He's gone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daboyle said:

Interesting note from the article: Allen & Company also handled the two most recent sales of NFL franchises, those involving the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos. 

I was just coming in to post this. This is awesome news. Thanks for posting.