Big Nasties - IDL Discussion

MOSteelers56

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Because Tuli played about every position in the USC Dline, a lot of draftniks have him as a DT.  I think he is a special EDGe player.

I haven't seen him consistently turning the edge. I don't think he's really built for that. His anchor and poa power along with the mobility make IDL or the 5 his best spots.

1 Jalen Carter

2 Keanu Benton
3 Karl Brooks
4 Kalijah Kancey
5 Bryan Bresee
6 Tuli/Ade Adebowari
8 Siaki Ika/Mazi Smith
10 Zacch Pickens/Moro Ojomo
12 Kobie Turner/Gervon Dexter
14 Dante Stills
15 Keondre Coburn/PJ Mustipher
17 Byron young/Jaquelin Roy

Haven't watched Keion White

26 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

1 Jalen Carter

2 Keanu Benton
3 Karl Brooks
4 Kalijah Kancey
5 Bryan Bresee
6 Tuli/Ade Adebowari
8 Siaki Ika/Mazi Smith
10 Zacch Pickens/Moro Ojomo
12 Kobie Turner/Gervon Dexter
14 Dante Stills
15 Keondre Coburn/PJ Mustipher
17 Byron young/Jaquelin Roy

Haven't watched Keion White

We certainly agree that of the NTs, Benton is the best. But I don't think his pass rush is consistent enough to take him near Round 1. Of course, there's a fair argument that it may get there eventually, as he improved a lot from last year to this year. I really liked Kobie Turner for where he's projected to go. He's a versatile guy who defends the run very well for his size and has the juice to be a solid-to-good pass rusher. His big weakness is his lack of length.

I still have to watch a lot of the other dudes. Young is a good run defender, but he has very limited movement skills. I didn't like Roy. Dexter is too much of a question mark for me to take him where he's projected to go. Pickens has ability, but there's still a lot of inconsistency in his game. Mazi and Ika didn't do it for me, as the Rams tend to favor NTs who can do more than eat up space. While Ika did flash a bit, it wasn't enough for me to take him where he's projected to go.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

But I don't think his pass rush is consistent enough to take him near Round 1.

There aren't 32 dudes with 1st round grades, so lots of people gonna go higher than they should. Agree that Benton is more of a mid/late 2nd, but that's still the 2nd best DT in this class imo.

Kobie Turner would be higher if he didn't measure in with midget arms. 31 and change iirc. Not that Karl Brooks and his 32 1/4 is way lengthier, but less than 32 really bugs me.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Where you hooks have Karl Brooks and Moro Ojomo ranked?

Ojomo is a dude I just watched literally yesterday. Very impressive. Have a late 2nd round grade on him, but he’s a weird tweener. Not sure if he will have an every-down position, but that might not be bad. He can play 4-3 LDE and then convert down to a 3-tech on passing downs. He’s great in both roles. Plays hard and is a great athlete. 

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

I really don't see it with Benton. Pre combine, he's got to be one of the most overrated guys in this class. Watch him vs Ohio State again and tell me why he's even in the discussion for the 2nd DT off the board.

He ragdolls people and controls the point of attack. Especially against power blocking schemes. He’s very smart and will take care of his gap without issue. He has a nice set of pass rush moves along with that run stopping ability. 

Benton vs Luke Wypler & Donovan Jackson

..on the goaline vs Illinois

He regularly gets washed by down blocks and can't handle the double team. He flashes some mobility for his size but that's it. He's Carl Davis.

Ojomo, Brooks, Ika, Zach Pickens, Tuipulotu, Scott Matlock among others all over Benton for me rn.

Edited by BrownLeader