Big Nasties - IDL Discussion

MOSteelers56

10 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

What?!?! No way. He is too short to play on the edge. Leverage and first step quickness are his best attributes and are perfect for playing on the interior. He doesn’t get pushed around at all in the run game. There is zero need to move him out to DE or OLB. He is a 3-tech who can occasionally play at the Nose/1T.

James Harrison was too short as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Falling in love with Ade Adebawore as a DT.

All set to put him as the Browns top target and then Jim Nagy puts it out there that he could be coveted in the 1st round.

Just watched some tape, as I was unfamiliar. Honestly not seeing it. He has a decent first step for sure and is strong to hold up, but he has a hard time disengaging and gets stuck on blocks, even if he puts the defender on skates. It’s weird. He also has no pass rush plan and while he does a great job of resetting the line of scrimmage, he just kind of stands in place if he’s stonewalled off the ball. I don’t think he’s gonna be bad, but 1st round? Not seeing it. 

43 minutes ago, jebrick said:

James Harrison was too short as well.

James Harrison played that position his whole life. He wasn’t a DT convert. Also, Kancey is a big guy. He isn’t 300, but he is far too big to play OLB effectively. Idk why anyone would want to move him when he’s been amazing playing the interior. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Just watched some tape, as I was unfamiliar. Honestly not seeing it. He has a decent first step for sure and is strong to hold up, but he has a hard time disengaging and gets stuck on blocks, even if he puts the defender on skates. It’s weird. He also has no pass rush plan and while he does a great job of resetting the line of scrimmage, he just kind of stands in place if he’s stonewalled off the ball. I don’t think he’s gonna be bad, but 1st round? Not seeing it. 

He doesn't always finish as well as he starts and not as efficient getting off the block as you'd always like...but he does show ragdoll ability with his hands. Explosive push off the snap shows up but it's the combination of that and the overall mobility that's special at his size. He could realistically play any front 7 position.

3 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

He could realistically play any front 7 position.

This would be his most useful attribute, but I wouldn’t spend a 1st rounder on that alone. As a Browns fan, no thanks. Not sure he gives you something you don’t already have. Benton is significantly better right now if we’re going for DT. And gimme Nolan Smith or Felix Anudike-Uzomah over Ade. Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I'm actually avoiding too much Senior Bowl this season.  Practice reps made me fall in love with some guys that just didn't have it in the past, and guys like Patterson, who I'm 99% certain is a stud, looked like crap this year, so if a dude doesn't have it on tape, I'm not gonna let the Senior Bowl play me again.

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Another light guy but he did dominate at the Senior Bowl in one on ones

Senior bowl practices are like watching a highlight tape. It showcases individual ability but the games are where you see if what was learned in practice translates to the game. Most of the time it doesn't. AA game film is underwhelming.

Just now, armsteeld said:

Senior bowl practices are like watching a highlight tape. It showcases individual ability but the games are where you see if what was learned in practice translates to the game. Most of the time it doesn't. AA game film is underwhelming.

You’re stating the obvious. I just highlighted one area he did well. I don’t view him as a top prospect at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

What?!?! No way. He is too short to play on the edge. Leverage and first step quickness are his best attributes and are perfect for playing on the interior. He doesn’t get pushed around at all in the run game. There is zero need to move him out to DE or OLB. He is a 3-tech who can occasionally play at the Nose/1T.

I've seen games where Calijah was blocked so badly that he was facing the Safeties as he was manhandled by a double-team. He can't consistently handle duo blocks like that all game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

This would be his most useful attribute, but I wouldn’t spend a 1st rounder on that alone. As a Browns fan, no thanks. Not sure he gives you something you don’t already have. Benton is significantly better right now if we’re going for DT. And gimme Nolan Smith or Felix Anudike-Uzomah over Ade. Just my opinion. 

I think he finds a home and gets better there. I'll wager as an interior lineman. Stout with long arms, violent hands..along with his ability to burst and chase?

Imo he's a leaner Grady Jarrett.

43 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

More or less.. although some really hit. Deebo, Terry McLaurin, Marcus Davenport and Kupp dominated practices hinting they might be better pros than college players.

Completely disagree his games are underwhelming. His poa power, hands and mobility are impressive on film.

Edited by BrownLeader

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I've seen games where Calijah was blocked so badly that he was facing the Safeties as he was manhandled by a double-team. He can't consistently handle duo blocks like that all game.

What games are those? I’m not saying it didn’t happen—I’ve seen a ton of Pitt games and never saw that. He was always beating dudes out of the blocks & getting into their chests before they could set the double or get into his chest. Again, haven’t watched every single rep he’s taken, but I’ve seen nothing like that. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

What games are those? I’m not saying it didn’t happen—I’ve seen a ton of Pitt games and never saw that. He was always beating dudes out of the blocks & getting into their chests before they could set the double or get into his chest. Again, haven’t watched every single rep he’s taken, but I’ve seen nothing like that. 

I mean, he got pretty handled most of the game by Tennessee's OL, but that's fine.  As a DL, you only need to win like a dozen reps total to make a huge impact on a game.  I don't care if he gets blocked badly by double teams 95% of the time, because that means he's beating double teams 5% of the time, which is very desirable in my mind.

• Like 1