Big Nasties - IDL Discussion

MOSteelers56

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Ah man, you guys had to spoil the fun and bring up Aaron Donald. Kancey doesn’t need to be AD to be a good prospect, that’s a silly expectation.

Yeah they’re naturally gonna get compared because of the size and school. And there’s some similarities, but Donald had a much stronger build and punch. Kancey can be very good, but the comps are a bit much. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah they’re naturally gonna get compared because of the size and school. And there’s some similarities, but Donald had a much stronger build and punch. Kancey can be very good, but the comps are a bit much. 

Yeah, it’s inevitable - but Donald was such a one-off prospect and player that any comparisons feel irrelevant. FWIW, you do rarely see Kancey get overpowered even if his lack of stature in the lower half is apparent. He’s got this Von Miller elasticity that made him an effective run defender, where his quickness makes it hard for blockers to hit him cleanly.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah, it’s inevitable - but Donald was such a one-off prospect and player that any comparisons feel irrelevant. FWIW, you do rarely see Kancey get overpowered even if his lack of stature in the lower half is apparent. He’s got this Von Miller elasticity that made him an effective run defender, where his quickness makes it hard for blockers to hit him cleanly.

Dude that sucks crazy. I was literally just thinking about how to describe him and I swear on my son’s life my thought was “he’s like the Von Miller of interior players.”

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 7:36 AM, INbengalfan said:

I was thinking a faster Geno Atkins myself.  

He reminded me of a recent teammate of his, Rashad Weaver.  Weaver moved around inside a bit, and I thought he played like a tweener.  Got lots of penetration in the line (more than Kancey) but didn't do much with it once he was in the backfield.  Kancey doesn't penetrate as well, and he's a little slower, but he's bigger, and stronger than Weaver.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I would have Kancey play 3-4 OLB if weighs around 270. That's around the average weight of some of the top pass rushers like Nic Boss, Brandon Graham, Frank Clark, etc...

I think he'd make an easy transition and would be more impactful from day 1.

Possibly, but I thought the same thing about Donald in his college career when he was listed at 265 not sure if that was his SR or JR year.  Obviously that never happened and honestly putting on weight with pure muscle is not that hard if one works at it.  It would be harder to handle him on the inside than the edge I feel, and he never was a edge guy at Pitt correct?  And if Kancey is 280 at the combine it would be foolish to put him as a OLB if he can handle himself on the inside.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Possibly, but I thought the same thing about Donald in his college career when he was listed at 265 not sure if that was his SR or JR year.  Obviously that never happened and honestly putting on weight with pure muscle is not that hard if one works at it.  It would be harder to handle him on the inside than the edge I feel, and he never was a edge guy at Pitt correct?  And if Kancey is 280 at the combine it would be foolish to put him as a OLB if he can handle himself on the inside.

He's listed at 270 but gaining 10 pounds isn't that hard. I've watched some of his games and while he has quickness, he'd be a situational player til he bulked up. 

On 2/7/2023 at 10:23 PM, armsteeld said:

I would have Kancey play 3-4 OLB if weighs around 270. That's around the average weight of some of the top pass rushers like Nic Boss, Brandon Graham, Frank Clark, etc...

I think he'd make an easy transition and would be more impactful from day 1.

What?!?! No way. He is too short to play on the edge. Leverage and first step quickness are his best attributes and are perfect for playing on the interior. He doesn’t get pushed around at all in the run game. There is zero need to move him out to DE or OLB. He is a 3-tech who can occasionally play at the Nose/1T.

• Like 1