Big Nasties - IDL Discussion

MOSteelers56

Also curious if anyone has watched Jer'Zhan Newton from Illinois? A junior, but I think I read he's leading NCAA in QB pressures. 12 tfl and 5.5 sacks on the year. Listed at 6'2" 295. Can't find any video of him like I can with Karl Brooks.

Edited by Jeezla

On 11/12/2022 at 3:13 PM, Jeezla said:

Anyone watched Karl Brooks out of Bowling Green? 8 sacks and 13 TFL, but playing against bums. 6'4" 300 lbs, but lines up at DE. Looks fairly athletic. 5th year Sr.

I mentioned him last draft season, dude can play regardless of where he plays, I would love to see if he gets invited to the Senior Bowl.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I mentioned him last draft season, dude can play regardless of where he plays, I would love to see if he gets invited to the Senior Bowl.

I'll be bummed if he doesn't get a Senior Bowl invite. This dude should not be at the NFLPA Bowl or East West Shrine Bowl based on his stats and his athleticism/size combo. Hopefully he doesn't measure in with T-Rex arms.

@Ozzy have you watched him (Karl Brooks) at all?

Edited by Jeezla

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I'll be bummed if he doesn't get a Senior Bowl invite. This dude should not be at the NFLPA Bowl or East West Shrine Bowl based on his stats and his athleticism/size combo. Hopefully he doesn't measure in with T-Rex arms.

@Ozzy have you watched him (Karl Brooks) at all?

I have not watched Karl Brooks, honestly watching any MAC guys is hard because it is such a gamble.  And players look productive but it is usually because they play such crap competition.  Example Ali Fayad last year had 13 sacks and was 4th in the nation on Western Michigan, any clue where he is now?  Not in the NFL that is where and he was 4th in the country in sacks so it is tricky with guys in the MAC.

Wish they had a quality team to just sit down and watch but not sure that is the case, and I thought Northern Illinois maybe had some guys considering last year but Rudolph is hurt I think so they are pretty suspect without him and Ducker transferred...

Newton is good on Illinois, very productive from the interior but he needs more time and hopefully comes back to school for another year.  Then again they will lose basically that entire secondary outside of one guy so who knows how good they will be next year.  Maybe Newton declares as a RS SOPH.  

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, Ozzy said:

Example Ali Fayad last year had 13 sacks and was 4th in the nation on Western Michigan, any clue where he is now?  Not in the NFL that is where and he was 4th in the country in sacks so it is tricky with guys in the MAC.

Wouldn't that be based off his measurables and not the conference he played in?

On 11/15/2022 at 2:40 AM, NYRaider said:

Who are some of the better DT's that will be on the board in rounds 2-4?

Calijah Kancey, but I need to see him measure in at the combine. Some people will compare his body to Aaron Donald, but he might be 10 lbs lighter than Donald.

Edited by Jeezla

On 11/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, Ozzy said:

I have not watched Karl Brooks, honestly watching any MAC guys is hard because it is such a gamble.  And players look productive but it is usually because they play such crap competition.  Example Ali Fayad last year had 13 sacks and was 4th in the nation on Western Michigan, any clue where he is now?  Not in the NFL that is where and he was 4th in the country in sacks so it is tricky with guys in the MAC.

Wish they had a quality team to just sit down and watch but not sure that is the case, and I thought Northern Illinois maybe had some guys considering last year but Rudolph is hurt I think so they are pretty suspect without him and Ducker transferred...

Newton is good on Illinois, very productive from the interior but he needs more time and hopefully comes back to school for another year.  Then again they will lose basically that entire secondary outside of one guy so who knows how good they will be next year.  Maybe Newton declares as a RS SOPH.  

Give Karl Brooks a watch. He's not Ali Fayad. Ali Fayad was a 6'2" 245 pound DE with short arms and a 4.9 40. Karl Brooks looks every bit his listed size of 6'4" 300, and his athleticism seemed to pop on the one viewing I did. He played against UCLA week 1 and Mississippi State in week 4, so hopefully those game cut-ups get uploaded like his central mich game. He might have gotten abused in those games. I dunno. They are the only 2 teams he didn't record a TFL or sack against, but he did get a PBU and 2 hurries vs UCLA and a PBU vs Sippi St.

• Like 1

I'm really torn between Tuli and Carter for who the top prospect in this class is.  They're both outstanding.

I thought it was Carter for a long time, but I'm thinking now that it might be Tuli.  Dude was great last year and has been an absolute monster this year.

In the end it may really just come down to who does better in the combine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'm really torn between Tuli and Carter for who the top prospect in this class is.  They're both outstanding.

I thought it was Carter for a long time, but I'm thinking now that it might be Tuli.  Dude was great last year and has been an absolute monster this year.

Welcome to my train. 

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Wouldn't that be based off his measurables and not the conference he played in?

Possibly Joe Ostman, Sutton Smith, Anthony Winbush were all top 4 in the nation in sacks one year and none were good at all in the NFL and some never even got a chance.  I thought Sutton Smith could maybe be something but clearly was way too short, but he was a force off the edge in college.  

Maxx Crosby is what the best one of late I would guess.  But he was a crazy good athlete and timed out insanely well.  So yeah if one is physically gifted enough it does not matter, but playing in the MAC one can at times have inflated sack numbers because the OTs they play against are not always that great much less the QBs.  Sure Central Michigan had two OL drafted what last year but both of those guys have none done great in the NFL so far but will see how they are.  

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

Nah dude, he needs to slip to the Steelers in round 2.