Big Nasties - IDL Discussion

MOSteelers56

On 1/25/2023 at 5:45 AM, goldfishwars said:

I don’t know what he is, but the Kancey kid from Pitt is gonna give evaluators some headaches. He’s not gonna meet many size thresholds, but he’s crazy explosive.

Love him. He’s my #3 DT in the class, even though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous about having a 280lb DT out there.

He gets into the OL so fast that they can’t leverage him out of his gap. He’s got a very fast getoff, a very fast first step, and fast hands/swims/rips. He has a full toolbox, aside from the size thing. I think early day 2 for him, but he could end up being a top 10 guy in redrafts very easily. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Reminds me a lot of AJ Epenesa 

Was thinking the same thing, except Epenesa was able to put OTs in skates more often. I don’t think Tuli is very good. Wouldn’t take him til the mid 3rd/4th round and that is in a weak DE class.

He can’t play 4-3 DE full time, nor can he play 4-3 UT/NT full time. I feel like he’s a base LDE that won’t get pressures unless he’s stunting or chasing. He won’t beat NFL OTs with speed or power. That’s a tough life for a DE. 

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Love him. He’s my #3 DT in the class, even though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous about having a 280lb DT out there.

He gets into the OL so fast that they can’t leverage him out of his gap. He’s got a very fast getoff, a very fast first step, and fast hands/swims/rips. He has a full toolbox, aside from the size thing. I think early day 2 for him, but he could end up being a top 10 guy in redrafts very easily. 

Honestly think Mel is onto something giving him to Philly

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

His Rhode Island tape (yeah I know!) is one of craziest things I've seen - not all speed, he's got explosive power too. PFF have him down as an over 20% of pass-rush wins, which is unheard of for an interior player.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

His Rhode Island tape (yeah I know!) is one of craziest things I've seen - not all speed, he's got explosive power too. PFF have him down as an over 20% of pass-rush wins, which is unheard of for an interior player.

Yeah he's just into your chest before you are even out of your stance as an OL. He's underrated. And I think my first snap-judgment against him was that he was going to be terrible in the run game due to his size. Not at all the case--the dude holds the POA even on double teams without any issues. He's supremely talented.

• Like 1

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah he's just into your chest before you are even out of your stance as an OL. He's underrated. And I think my first snap-judgment against him was that he was going to be terrible in the run game due to his size. Not at all the case--the dude holds the POA even on double teams without any issues. He's supremely talented.

Man just saw Kiper mocked him in the top ten. That’s nuts, seems to off every other radar to the point.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

What about Zacch Pickens?  I find myself really liking his tape.

Up & down. He is a splash play kind of DT, which worries me. Has every tool in the toolbox, but doesn't put them on display consistently. He plays with poor pad level and doesn't use his hands enough. That said, he profiles similarly to Chris Jones when he was coming out. A big lump of clay to mold for sure...no telling which way it's going to go for him though.

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Man just saw Kiper mocked him in the top ten. That’s nuts, seems to off every other radar to the point.

I was even surprised by that. Mel throws some crazy stuff out there for the sake of getting guys he likes names out into the community. I don't think he sincerely believes he'll go top 10, but I do think Kiper loves him. I mean...we love him too, but I feel like the NFL is going to knock him a little bit for not being 300+ or having the prerequisite length.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:43 AM, goldfishwars said:

Kancey is good but I did expect a bit more out of him this year honestly.  And until he runs a 4.68 40 and gets 35 reps at 225 might, I want to hold off on the top 10 stuff.  

Aaron Donald had 28.5 TFLs in his final year, Kancey had a bit over that for three entire seasons.  Would be great if he works out that well athletically but we will see about that.  No way was he as dominating in college as Donald was and because of that not sure he is worth that high of a pick unless his athletic numbers are off the charts.  

At least Kancey played better than Baldonado did on Pitt this year, he was super disappointing after such a strong year the season previous.  He still has potential but he was not nearly as productive.  That Pitt D does scheme to get sacks and TFLs despite giving up big stuff behind that.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:19 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

I feel like Aaron Donald was 280-281 when he came out too. He will help Kancey’s cause 

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

I feel like Aaron Donald was 280-281 when he came out too. He will help Kancey’s cause 

Aaron Donald is also superhuman. He's one of the strongest players in the NFL. He can get away with playing at 280ish pounds because he has the power to hold up against double teams at the POA and put 330+ pound OGs on skates with his bull rush.