Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I really and truly do think it's an optical illusion. He LOOKS ploddy and slow because he's so damn big. Yet he's as agile and explosive as CBs on the clock. He takes fewer steps, with less frequency, but covers more real estate with each of them.

He looks a little gangly and uncouth at times but always maintains his balance and positioning. 

It really is just a visual illusion. He's a very very effective mover at size regardless of how he looks.

I don't feel like it is a visual illusion.  Because I'm talking about speed off of the line.  Quick twitch stuff.  He has almost none of that on the field.

However.....I saw enough in his whopping 4 minutes of highlights showing some speed down the field and when in space.  That post was an example, and there was another one, where it is true.....those long strides look lumbering but he's chewing up yards quickly.

I just don't think he's got enough quicks in those feet to get in and out of routes to create any kind of separation.  

Here is his write up....

Overview

In-line tight end with rare size and power at the point of attack to help soften defensive edges up front. Despite sloppy overall technique, Washington can be effective at moving defenders when he’s centered on his block. He must improve his footwork and hand usage, as NFL defenders will slip away from his clutches more easily if he’s unsound. He plods into his routes but catches with above-average focus and can be a handful to bring down. Washington could become a dominant run blocker with better technique, which makes me wonder if a team might give him a look at offensive tackle at some point in his career.

Strengths
  • Massive frame and shredded physique.
  • Mismatches linebackers at the point of attack.
  • Pure power to torque and displace defender.
  • Creates considerable advantage near goal line.
  • Size requires careful coverage consideration.
  • Able to adjust to off-target throws and catch in congestion.
Weaknesses
  • Footwork into block fits needs work.
  • Gets into blocks with wide hands.
  • Waist-bender and head-ducker at point of attack.
  • Angles to second level lack accuracy.
  • Stiff-kneed, limiting speed to attack seam.
  • Unable to sink and break off routes underneath.

That ain't me talking.  Most of his bolded stuff is because his feet don't work quickly, so he's not in ideal positions to block.  But when he is, look out.

You can be taught a little foot quickness, though.  At least enough to get by.

• Like 1

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/darnell-washington-b86b8808-4df7-4d79-b44e-b5b28ab3d284/

There is a lot of upside...I'm just quoting the stuff that relates to quick, stop/start stuff.

"Put Washington in situations that remove the constant stopping, breaking, and changing directions."

"While he is athletic for his size, Washington is not an overly explosive player. He should not be viewed as a natural separator versus tight-man coverage. Washington does not break in and out of his breaks with optimal fluidity."

Here is a summary...

"I believe to get the best out of him, his routes should be attacking the seams and across the middle of the field off hard play-action. He is a zone-beater that can find soft spots to settle into. Washington does bring outstanding potential in the red zone as a blocker and receiver. He has the potential to develop into a reliable passing option and TE1 for an offense, but a TE2 at worst."

Why are we talking about separation for a 6'7 man with 34" arms? He's already separated from every ILB and DB in the NFL by merely existing on this earth at 6'7 with 34" arms. When you're evenly matched with a DB, you must separate horizontally, when your standing reach is probably around 9 foot something, you can separate vertically. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why are we talking about separation for a 6'7 man with 34" arms? He's already separated from every ILB and DB in the NFL by merely existing on this earth at 6'7 with 34" arms. When you're evenly matched with a DB, you must separate horizontally, when your standing reach is probably around 9 foot something, you can separate vertically. 

Because our QB will be sacked before he gets vertical and even with an NFL safety.

And if he needs to stop/start to get open against an ILB underneath, he'd better learn to box out.  Which he will.

But hey, it's just some draft site opinions about him and how to use him correctly.

Obviously he can back shoulder and run a go route.  In his 4 minute highlight reel, he caught a few of those while being pretty much blanketed.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Because our QB will be sacked before he gets vertical and even with an NFL safety.

And if he needs to stop/start to get open against an ILB underneath, he'd better learn to box out.  Which he will.

But hey, it's just some draft site opinions about him and how to use him correctly.

Obviously he can back shoulder and run a go route.  In his 4 minute highlight reel, he caught a few of those while being pretty much blanketed.

I'm not saying a vertical route, I'm saying throw the ball high. With his arms extended there isn't a DB on the planet who can reach with him.

In the NFL you're rarely truly "open" it's about finding the window to fit the ball. With Washington, get the ball up and he's always open. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not saying a vertical route, I'm saying throw the ball high. With his arms extended there isn't a DB on the planet who can reach with him.

In the NFL you're rarely truly "open" it's about finding the window to fit the ball. With Washington, get the ball up and he's always open. 

I agree.  He should be able to present a large target in a zone.  He has amazingly strong and soft hands.

Course, the past has conditioned me to knowing that....

• We do not throw into the middle of the field.
  • We do not throw contested balls.

Things could and should be very different this year.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

@vegas492 I give you **** but I agree about not taking Washington until round 2.  I MIGHT consider him at the end of round 1 if I trade back to the end of the round and there's not much else there that I really like.

I think anything before about pick 22ish would be bad value. 20s are ok value, anything after that is gonna start to be good value.

• Like 1