Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Started getting into the OTs tonight. I think I like Darnell Wright more than any of them. What am I missing? He looks like a top 5-10 guy to me. 

Struggled at LT, feet are just OK, length is just adequate. When he gets his hands on a guy, it's over. Just depends on your type. Dancing bear he is not, but a gap scheme RT? He's the best I've seen in a few years. Don't think he's GBs type though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Started getting into the OTs tonight. I think I like Darnell Wright more than any of them. What am I missing? He looks like a top 5-10 guy to me. 

He's at minimum the 2nd best OT in the class.

BUT the class isn't top heavy.  I like Jones' upside IF he figures it out.  He needs a lot of work though because he's a mess technically.  He was able to make it work most of the time due to his athleticism but when he lost it was really ugly.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Struggled at LT, feet are just OK, length is just adequate. When he gets his hands on a guy, it's over. Just depends on your type. Dancing bear he is not, but a gap scheme RT? He's the best I've seen in a few years. Don't think he's GBs type though.

I thought he had elite length? Over 34" arms I thought I saw. And I thought his feet looked kinda nifty actually. That looked like a plus for him at RT anyway. I wish we had agility numbers for him.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I thought he had elite length? Over 34" arms I thought I saw. And I thought his feet looked kinda nifty actually. That looked like a plus for him at RT anyway. I wish we had agility numbers for him.

Yeah his length is fine.  He moves REALLY well, and then you realize he's 330 and it's like WTF.  He recovers really, really nicely, and he's actually pretty crafty with his hand fighting, too.  One area where he needs work is in space, but it's due to the fact that he goes full tilt and overruns his blocks a lot because he's trying to murder people.  Once he reels that in and plays under control, he's going to be a nightmare in space.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

33 5/8" I believe, not a red, but not in the green either. 

Nifty is a good word for his footwork. He's not a dancing bear type like Jones or Johnson, but he's good for a 330 pounder.

This is what you're drafting Wright for, watch him hit that LB with violence.

In a lot of ways Wright is like Washington the TE from Georgia to me. Not really feeling it at 15, would love him at 45 but that's a pipe dream.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Nifty is a good word for his footwork. He's not a dancing bear type like Jones or Johnson, but he's good for a 330 pounder.

In a lot of ways Wright is like Washington the TE from Georgia to me. Not really feeling it at 15, would love him at 45 but that's a pipe dream.

He looks explosive to me. Imagine having him in front of Love for the foreseeable future and then trade Yosh to recoup the cash and some draft capital.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He looks explosive to me. Imagine having him in front of Love for the foreseeable future and then trade Yosh to recoup the cash and some draft capital.

I'd have no problem with GB taking him at 15.  If nothing else he could start at RG on day 1 and then slide over to RT once Bakh moves on and Tom takes over at LT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I'd have no problem with GB taking him at 15.  If nothing else he could start at RG on day 1 and then slide over to RT once Bakh moves on and Tom takes over at LT.

I don't know much about OL play, but when I watch Darnell Wright it makes me want him in my OL room.

37 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Read like what people were saying about Teven Jenkins pre-draft a couple of years ago.  

1 minute ago, R T said:

Read like what people were saying about Teven Jenkins pre-draft a couple of years ago.  

Very similar prospects. Though Jenkins did go where OL prospects go to die in Chicago. I had a mid 20s grade on Jenkins too, though aren't some of his NFL struggles medical related?

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I could see a scenario in which we don't like the offensive players available at 15, trade into the low twenties and take Wright. 45 seems unlikely for him as of now though.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't like taking RBs in the first.  But if Jahmyr Gibbs is there in the second, I am all for it.

Trade  down 5 spots if JSN is gone and take  Bijan, he a once a decade RB talent.