Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Van Ness is the only defensive guy that I feel strongly enough about to take at 15. I’m just loathe to add yet more defensive talent to this team that Joe Barry will waste or that won’t see their full potential on this team. I’m ready to load up on offense and hopefully have another Sherman/mid-McCarthy style team that has a humming offense and a spotty defense. 

Myles Murphy got brought up a lot this week and I don’t know **** about crap, but my initial impression is that that is a guy we will absolutely waste. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

Van Ness is the only defensive guy that I feel strongly enough about to take at 15. I’m just loathe to add yet more defensive talent to this team that Joe Barry will waste or that won’t see their full potential on this team. I’m ready to load up on offense and hopefully have another Sherman/mid-McCarthy style team that has a humming offense and a spotty defense. 

Myles Murphy got brought up a lot this week and I don’t know **** about crap, but my initial impression is that that is a guy we will absolutely waste. 

Trade down seems like the best option, IMO.  Outside of JSN, I am not enamored with any offensive player at 15 either.  I could probably get over taking Robinson, Gibbs, or one of the TEs.  They will probably end up being productive.  But it seems like spending a heck of a premium for the return.  Kind of like taking Bubba Franks in the first.  Yeah, he was pretty good.  But was he really worth a first round pick?

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How do we feel about Jalen Carter after the release of the dash cam?

How do we feel about Washington as his name was brought up by the officer as being someone who also drove at very high speeds?  (It doesn't sway me either way on him.)

BTW...I can't view the dashcam video.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Got a Cliff's Notes version of what happened?

Without knowing this, I still think he fails the knucklehead test.  But he is pretty damn good.

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The reality of the situation is football wise his rapid decline in shape from Georgia's last regular season game to the playoffs and off-season workouts is more alarming than the legal situation.

You certainly can't feel great about his character watching it however.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I feel like he doesn't make it past the 6th pick. Either the Seahawks or Lions grab him at pick 5 or 6.

The NFL is littered with guys who raced cars. It is littered with guys who have been arrested. It is littered with guys who were not forthcoming with police officers. 

Truth be told, most GMs do not care unless it were to become a PR nightmare with their fanbase. This hardly raises an eyebrow. Sadly, two people lost their lives, but kids race cars all the time regardless of the danger. 

I agree with @Packerraymond, it's more concerning how he has taken care of himself since the end of last season. Maybe some of it has to do with him feeling guilty. Don't know but those are the concerns NFL GMs are pondering. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

This is about the worst scenario I can think of. Taking two TE's by pick 46. 

Solidify the position for the next 6+ years while making our offensive skill players twice as good as last year. Two guys elite at what they do and they compliment each other really well. 

Kincaid in the slot with Watson on the outside and Washington in the Lewis role would go a long way to helping us make Love comfortable.  Would be unreal in the red zone too. 

I understand not liking back to back TEs but to call it worse case scenario getting an elite defensive prospect and two of the top 3 TEs in a year touted as being great for TEs seems like a stretch. 

It's a huge weakness on the team and we can't help it much with free agents. Instantly makes the room one of the most promising in the league while giving Love a security blanket in Kincaid and extra lineman in Washington. 

Matt would drool over the possibilities it would allow on offense. 

Edited by PackFan13

4 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Yeah I'd sure suck to sure up the position for the next 6+ years while making our offensive skill players twice as good as last year. Two guys elite at what they do and they compliment each other really well. 

Kincaid in the slot with Watson on the outside and Washington in the Lewis role would go a long way to helping us make Love comfortable.  Would be unreal in the red zone too. 

I understand not liking back to back TEs but to call it worse case scenario getting an elite defensive prospect and two of the top 3 TEs in a year touted as being great for TEs seems like a stretch. 

It's a huge weakness on the team and we can't help it much with free agents. Instantly makes the room one of the most promising in the league while giving Love a security blanket in Kincaid and extra lineman in Washington. 

Matt would drool over the possibilities it would allow on offense. 

Great plan "shore up" one of the least valuable positions in football with two premium picks. In a draft where you get quality at that position through round 4. All the while neglecting other positions which need attention that are far more difficult to fill and much more valuable to the team's success. 

At least you got an EDGE defender so credit for that. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Great plan "shore up" one of the least valuable positions in football with two premium picks. In a draft where you get quality at that position through round 4. All the while neglecting other positions which need attention that are far more difficult to fill and much more valuable to the team's success. 

At least you got an EDGE defender so credit for that. 

Yah know?  I'm doing to defend this position a little bit.

Our TE room is garbage.  Pure garbage.  If we take a defender with our first pick, I've got little issue trying to snag Kincaid and then Washington.

Kincaid is the second best receiving option for us in this draft...if you want immediate production.  He's a big slot, or movement TE.

We know that Washington is a schematic slam dunk.

While I don't love the idea of back to back TE's....I can get behind that combo if we address EDGE early.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Yeah, Jalen Carter is a 24th-32nd high risk/high reward pick now.

For the same reasons Ray outlined.

Given the information we have today, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Carter makes it out of the top 6, much less to 24. If he makes it to 13 or 15 (wherever we are drafting) and we don't take him, it will be like passing on Randy Moss all over again. 

You know who we took instead of Moss? Vonnie Holliday because he was "Packer People," right@beekay414.