Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah know?  I'm doing to defend this position a little bit.

Our TE room is garbage.  Pure garbage.  If we take a defender with our first pick, I've got little issue trying to snag Kincaid and then Washington.

Kincaid is the second best receiving option for us in this draft...if you want immediate production.  He's a big slot, or movement TE.

We know that Washington is a schematic slam dunk.

While I don't love the idea of back to back TE's....I can get behind that combo if we address EDGE early.

It is a mistake to take two TE's that early and put in context. He's trading into the 1st round in order to get Kincaid. Do you think that swap is free of charge? It is likely costing you picks 2 and 3 at a minimum, possibly a future pick as well. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It is a mistake to take two TE's that early and put in context. He's trading into the 1st round in order to get Kincaid. Do you think that swap is free of charge? It is likely costing you picks 2 and 3 at a minimum, possibly a future pick as well. 

I would very happily give up our third round pick to get the bottom of round one for Kincaid.  But, I'd also give up our third round pick for a Taco Bell chicken soft taco.  Both are going to give me the squirts, and the taco would give me some level of satisfaction.

I'm not trading two second round picks to go get Kincaid, though.  

To me, going EDGE, TE, TE is not great, but again, I can get behind it for Kincaid/Washington.

Also, not opposed to missing on Kincaid, then going grabbing Washington and waiting for a high RAS TE to develop as well, at a later pick.  Like you know, there are some good ones in the draft, potential wise.

I just feel like Kincaid is very safe bet to be a plus as a movement/receiving/slot TE.

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

I would very happily give up our third round pick to get the bottom of round one for Kincaid.  But, I'd also give up our third round pick for a Taco Bell chicken soft taco.  Both are going to give me the squirts, and the taco would give me some level of satisfaction.

I'm not trading two second round picks to go get Kincaid, though.  

To me, going EDGE, TE, TE is not great, but again, I can get behind it for Kincaid/Washington.

Also, not opposed to missing on Kincaid, then going grabbing Washington and waiting for a high RAS TE to develop as well, at a later pick.  Like you know, there are some good ones in the draft, potential wise.

I just feel like Kincaid is very safe bet to be a plus as a movement/receiving/slot TE.

Well, if you would make a new thread about how badly we do with 3rd round picks the curse would end and we'd start drafting HOFers in the 3rd round. Then you might learn to value those picks. 

Nothing against Taco Bell mind you! 

35 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Solidify the position for the next 6+ years while making our offensive skill players twice as good as last year. Two guys elite at what they do and they compliment each other really well. 

It would be shocking if they get anything out of any TE they draft this year.  It's the slowest developing position in football.  No matter who they draft at the position, Davis and Deguara are getting most of the TE snaps.  Now I'm pretty confident they'll take one with a real pick and one with a late pick, if you spend your premium picks on other positions those guys will play more snaps this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It would be shocking if they get anything out of any TE they draft this year.  It's the slowest developing position in football.  No matter who they draft at the position, Davis and Deguara are getting most of the TE snaps.  Now I'm pretty confident they'll take one with a real pick and one with a late pick, if you spend your premium picks on other positions those guys will play more snaps this year.

this is true every year.  If every year we say "let's not bother, they won't help us this year anyway", when do you ever get a good one?  

We're not going to the Super Bowl this season anyway, it's a rebuilding year?  So, maybe this would actually be a **perfect** time to draft for a position that's going to take a year?  

This was also frequently said about WR, which was perhaps one of the reasons that Gute went so many years without investing any 1st/2nd-day picks at WR, and then we ended up in a black hole.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Got a Cliff's Notes version of what happened?

Without knowing this, I still think he fails the knucklehead test.  But he is pretty damn good.

My understanding:

It was 9pm after some UGA parade and party. He was sober but knowingly raced a very drunk acquaintance. They lost control and crashed, traveling over 100mph at the time. He has a souped up Jeep Trackhawk (fast as hell). He stopped immediately and called his friends. The other person in his car called 911. 

He was not truthful with the first officer he spoke with, skirting around how close/involved he was with what happened.

The part that I'm concerned most about is that he was sober and the other party was really drunk. He definitely knew they were (he told the cop on the body cam he knew the driver was drunk). That's the literal opposite of what you should do with a drunk driving acquaintance. 

As @Packerraymondsaid, he also hasn't been disciplined in his prep since the season ended.

I feel like the only real way you end up with a really good tight end is that you take mid-round guys at good value and hope that they develop.  

Like if you look at the TE's you'd want to have on your team the names are like Kelce (3rd), Kittle (5th), Waller (6th), Andrews (3rd), Goedert (2nd), Schultz (4th), Freiermuth (2nd), Gesicki (2nd).

When teams spend first round picks on tight ends, those guys almost never get 2nd contracts from that team: Hockenson, Fant, and Hurst were all traded before they became free agents, the Bucs didn't bother extending O.J. Howard after picking up his 5th year option, Eric Ebron got released by the Lions (but played better for other teams), Tyler Eifert signed two one year "prove it" extensions with the Bengals then left, Jermaine Gresham played out his rookie contract with the Bengals then left, etc.

To find a first round tight end that actually got signed to a real extension by the team that drafted him you have to go back to 2009 with Brandon Pettigrew, who wasn't exactly setting the world on fire.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like the only real way you end up with a really good tight end is that you take mid-round guys at good value and hope that they develop.  

Like if you look at the TE's you'd want to have on your team the names are like Kelce (3rd), Kittle (5th), Waller (6th), Andrews (3rd), Goedert (2nd), Schultz (4th), Freiermuth (2nd), Gesicki (2nd).

When teams spend first round picks on tight ends, those guys almost never get 2nd contracts from that team: Hockenson, Fant, and Hurst were all traded before they became free agents, the Bucs didn't bother extending O.J. Howard after picking up his 5th year option, Eric Ebron got released by the Lions (but played better for other teams), Tyler Eifert signed two one year "prove it" extensions with the Bengals then left, Jermaine Gresham played out his rookie contract with the Bengals then left, etc.

To find a first round tight end that actually got signed to a real extension by the team that drafted him you have to go back to 2009 with Brandon Pettigrew, who wasn't exactly setting the world on fire.

There is iron in your words of death for first round tight ends, and so there is iron in your words of life for mid round tight ends. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Given the information we have today, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Carter makes it out of the top 6, much less to 24. If he makes it to 13 or 15 (wherever we are drafting) and we don't take him, it will be like passing on Randy Moss all over again. 

You know who we took instead of Moss? Vonnie Holliday because he was "Packer People," right@beekay414.

I have been the leading voice on this forum about turning around the stupid Packer People Policy.

But if the dude’s got problems with effort, that’s a completely different situation.

I don’t want a player who is ready to cash in and live off his college production. Texans tried that with Clowney in spite of the concerns there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yah know?  I'm doing to defend this position a little bit.

Our TE room is garbage.  Pure garbage.  If we take a defender with our first pick, I've got little issue trying to snag Kincaid and then Washington.

Kincaid is the second best receiving option for us in this draft...if you want immediate production.  He's a big slot, or movement TE.

We know that Washington is a schematic slam dunk.

While I don't love the idea of back to back TE's....I can get behind that combo if we address EDGE early.

This is where I've landed. In mock draft simulations, I keep winding up with two TEs before the 90th pick. Pairing Washington with one of Kincaid, Musgrave, Laporta or Kraft would be ideal.

If not, then Kuntz or Schoonmaker in rds 4-5 could be great. But no matter what, I want to walk away with two TEs from this draft. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

My understanding:

It was 9pm after some UGA parade and party. He was sober but knowingly raced a very drunk acquaintance. They lost control and crashed, traveling over 100mph at the time. He has a souped up Jeep Trackhawk (fast as hell). He stopped immediately and called his friends. The other person in his car called 911. 

He was not truthful with the first officer he spoke with, skirting around how close/involved he was with what happened.

The part that I'm concerned most about is that he was sober and the other party was really drunk. He definitely knew they were (he told the cop on the body cam he knew the driver was drunk). That's the literal opposite of what you should do with a drunk driving acquaintance. 

As @Packerraymondsaid, he also hasn't been disciplined in his prep since the season ended.

This is a "crime" that I would call dumb rather than malicious.  As far as I know, this is a single episode of dumb as well.  If this is not a recurring theme in his life, then I pretty much dismiss it.  I would feel a lot more comfortable with this guy on my team than Joe Mixon, or serial-dumb like DGB.

As far as his conditioning, I would again look for patterns.  I think teams could probably figure this out in interviews and we also have access to quite a few UGA guys in our locker room.  

Not sure if this has been posted but Jalen Carter's Agent Drew Rosenhaus has told teams Carter will not be visiting teams outside of the top 10 picks.  He has visited Philly and the Bears.   

I think it paints him into a corner, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I have been the leading voice on this forum about turning around the stupid Packer People Policy.

But if the dude’s got problems with effort, that’s a completely different situation.

I don’t want a player who is ready to cash in and live off his college production. Texans tried that with Clowney in spite of the concerns there.

Clowney's problem is he is not a pass rusher. Freak athlete was a very good player, but when you draft a guy #1 overall to get to the passer and he doesn't, failure. 

I don't know Jalen Carter well enough to say he's going to live off of his college production and call it good after getting drafted. 

At #1 overall, too much risk, at #13 or #15, you bet your *** I'm taking a chance on the most talented or second most talented player in the draft. 

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It baffles me that people can't read the sarcasm in the Packer People comment lol. I put the trademark logo on it for a reason.

I think that the "Packer People" term originally came from a time when the GM was trying to change the culture of the team to get guys who aren't just here to cash a paycheck before they move to greener pastures.

I think now we just need to recontextualize what "Packer People" means for the next culture change.  We're just not looking for loner weirdos who sit in the darkness, go on podcasts, and won't make friends with their teammates.