Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Our WR room is bad.  Which is different from being talentless.  We have 3 young kids with nice to great potential.  And after them, it's rough.  To make matters worse, 2 of our 3 kids had injury issues last year.

It's the lack of bodies that tells me we need more there.  And if it is in round one?  By all means, do it.  But we need two in the draft.

TE room is even worse.  We need two.

EDGE would be nice, but not quite the need as those two are.  But still one is needed for sure.

OT would be nice, but again, not quite the need as those first two positions listed.

Safety is also needed.

So the draft.  Deep on the EDGE.  Can probably get a nice one in round 2.  TE...deep class.  Round two and later.  OT...not sure I like this class outside of the top few.  WR...I'm really not loving this class outside of the top couple of players...then the others are probably 4th round or later guys.  Maybe turd round as well.

Kindda lines up for OT or WR in the first for me, as far as needs and my armchair analysis of the draft.

This pretty much sums up my analysis too.

I could also see Gute toss us a curveball and go CB in the first if he feels the value is right, but I believe he will want to give Love either a pass protector or a pass catcher if possible. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sandy said:

This pretty much sums up my analysis too.

I could also see Gute toss us a curveball and go CB in the first if he feels the value is right, but I believe he will want to give Love either a pass protector or a pass catcher if possible. 

I feel like the top 2 corners are great prospects.  They should be gone when we pick.

And if one is there?  Wouldn't hate it at all.  

Also?  We have corners.  Someone would need to be traded or make the move to safety.  And maybe that is Douglas.

But there is a way to make that selection of a CB work, it just isn't as clean as say an OT, WR or EDGE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Our WR room is bad.  Which is different from being talentless.  We have 3 young kids with nice to great potential.  And after them, it's rough.  To make matters worse, 2 of our 3 kids had injury issues last year.

It's the lack of bodies that tells me we need more there.  And if it is in round one?  By all means, do it.  But we need two in the draft.

TE room is even worse.  We need two.

EDGE would be nice, but not quite the need as those two are.  But still one is needed for sure.

OT would be nice, but again, not quite the need as those first two positions listed.

Safety is also needed.

So the draft.  Deep on the EDGE.  Can probably get a nice one in round 2.  TE...deep class.  Round two and later.  OT...not sure I like this class outside of the top few.  WR...I'm really not loving this class outside of the top couple of players...then the others are probably 4th round or later guys.  Maybe turd round as well.

Kindda lines up for OT or WR in the first for me, as far as needs and my armchair analysis of the draft.

Ah, yes. Gut's famous turd round. Where he looks for the biggest turd in the class. I wish he'd stop doing that. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Ah, yes. Gut's famous turd round. Where he looks for the biggest turd in the class. I wish he'd stop doing that. 

I wish fans would stop being idiots about whoever the player is that is drafted in the third round. 

• Like 1

Just now, R T said:

There is no curse.

I gotta go back to 2016 to find a passable player for GB in the third round and that is Fackrell.

After him?  Montravious Adams, Oren Burks, Jace Sternberger, Deguara, Amari Rodgers, Rhyan.

Okay, maybe Deguara is a passable player as well.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if you don't believe in the curse.  Because the curse believes in you.

Rhyan is going to break the curse.  I have faith.

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like the top 2 corners are great prospects.  They should be gone when we pick.

And if one is there?  Wouldn't hate it at all.  

Also?  We have corners.  Someone would need to be traded or make the move to safety.  And maybe that is Douglas.

But there is a way to make that selection of a CB work, it just isn't as clean as say an OT, WR or EDGE.

I am not the master of knowing how a CB translates to safety, but the little I have seen, I think Porter Jr, Witherspoon, or Douglas could play safety in the classic centerfield role.  It may work to pair them with a guy like Tariq Carpenter, who is built like a LB.  

It seems to me that the WR value for Packers types is in the 4th round or so.  The only early guy that truly fits the Packers is Quentin Johnston.  And I can't put my finger on it, but there is something that I don't like about him.  I see all the athletic numbers, but I don't see that guy on the field.  Or maybe I am just wearing my hater glasses.  

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What else would I be doing? Apparently, it was a poor attempt. 

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm a big fan of wordplay and I was 90% sure of where you were going with that. But there were just enough Ns and Is and Gs and As banging around to create an uncomfortable ambiguity.

Presuming that the Packers are in a rebuild--far from being "just one player away"--this may be the first draft in awhile where I will not care so much which players they select or be disappointed that a player I wanted goes off the board before their pick, e.g., losing out on a JSN was not going to be the difference between contending and not contending. Just strap in and try to enjoy the ride, it's going to be awhile.