Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jaxon-smith-njigba-wr-ohio-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

I pretty much agree with everything Cummings says here. JSN, while not being a gamebreaker, is a sure fire pro WR with little to no risk of flaming out. Day 1 chain mover and someone that's going to consistently put up production. His ceiling is Davante Adams. If that's too "low" for you to invest 15 in, then I simply can't help you. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're going to have to protect Hyatt. They stack him like this all the time so the DBs can't get their hands on him. I'd be happy to take a chance on that explosion and speed at 45, no way in hell at 15.

I swing for the fences IF (big IF) I go WR at 15. I don't really care THAT much about being day 1 ready. Give me the elite ceiling guy to pair with Watson and try to strike lightning in 2024+

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jaxon-smith-njigba-wr-ohio-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

I pretty much agree with everything Cummings says here. JSN, while not being a gamebreaker, is a sure fire pro WR with little to no risk of flaming out. Day 1 chain mover and someone that's going to consistently put up production. His ceiling is Davante Adams. If that's too "low" for you to invest 15 in, then I simply can't help you. 

He plays more like Wes Welker than Davante Adams

(half kidding - JSN has more downfield ability than Welker did, but I don't see that as a ln elite or high ceiling trait for him)

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I swing for the fences IF (big IF) I go WR at 15. I don't really care THAT much about being day 1 ready. Give me the elite ceiling guy to pair with Watson and try to strike lightning in 2024+

To me QJ is far more that guy than Hyatt.

• Like 4

Just now, incognito_man said:

He plays more like Wes Welker than Davante Adams

(half kidding - JSN has more downfield ability than Welker did, but I don't see that as a ln elite or high ceiling trait for him)

I'm talking production wise. He's not the same player as Davante but he's going to win in the same ways Davante wins. You can't teach JSN's agility, route running and body manipulation. He just has it when it comes to doing all the little things that make someone special. 

Hyatt's issue is he's a one trick pony.  He can take the top off a defense, but his route tree is seriously lacking.  He's not a cut guy, he's a track guy with straight line speed.  

If your looking for a guy defenses have to account for deep, he's your guy, but can he handle press coverage?   

He's not much of an across the middle, shake and bake guy, he's a WR you set out wide and shoot off the track starter pistol.  He does have good hands.

If your looking to run the ball, Hyatt and Watson outside will keep the secondary occupied.  That's for sure.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Lot of you need to hit the JSN tape again. 

The body style isn't Adams, but he sure as hell can be Stefon Diggs.

Diggs is a better play style comparison, sure. I just say Davante because he's someone we all watched weekly become someone that won without top end speed. He was never a take the top off threat but he was still a bonafide #1 and he did it as a technician more so than an athlete. 

Anybody that says JSN's upside is low just doesn't understand the WR position and likes the shiny speed guys. They'd take Troy Williamson over Adam Thielen. 

EDIT - This isn't me saying Davante isn't athletic either. Just mean that he became what he is by being a technician and understanding the little things. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Diggs is a better play style comparison, sure. I just say Davante because he's someone we all watched weekly become someone that won without top end speed. He was never a take the top off threat but he was still a bonafide #1 and he did it as a technician more so than an athlete. 

Anybody that says JSN's upside is low just doesn't understand the WR position and likes the shiny speed guys. They'd take Troy Williamson over Adam Thielen. 

To say he has no vertical game upside when his ball tracking over the shoulder is in an entirely different stratosphere from anyone else in this class is nuts to me. That corner end zone catch vs Utah is simply absurd.

I'm not even some JSN stan, he's not even my WR1, I just recognize he's going to be a QBs best friend. 

We already have an absolute freak, we don't need 2. Get me someone who gets open and always catches the ball.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

To say he has no vertical game upside when his ball tracking over the shoulder is in an entirely different stratosphere from anyone else in this class is nuts to me. That corner end zone catch vs Utah is simply absurd.

I'm not even some JSN stan, he's not even my WR1, I just recognize he's going to be a QBs best friend. 

We already have an absolute freak, we don't need 2. Get me someone who gets open and always catches the ball.

Oh his ball tracking and sideline awareness is second to none in this class. If he ran a 4.3 40, he's borderline generational. The only knock on his game is his long speed. 

He's literally the perfect compliment to Watson. He just does so much well that I don't understand how people are seeing what they are seeing. 

He's my WR1 by far

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Elite body control, elite hands, elite ball skills, elite route running...

Oh wait, he doesn't have elite speed, so he's not going to be very good.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

• Like 2

If this discussion resembles the discussion in the Packers war room, there's no way they'll take a pass-target in the first round.  Too many reasons no for each. 

Over the last 20+ years, the Packers have drafted four guys on offense: two QB's, and two OT's (Bulaga and Sherrod).  

I assume Gute will do like he and his respected TT mentor did:  If you don't need a QB, go defense or get a 300-pound lineman.  

• Like 1

Just now, MaximusGluteus said:

Elite body control, elite hands, elite ball skills, elite route running...

Oh wait, he doesn't have elite speed, so he's not going to be very good.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

4.3 40 = high upside dontchya know. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Oh his ball tracking and sideline awareness is second to none in this class. If he ran a 4.3 40, he's borderline generational. The only knock on his game is his long speed. 

He's literally the perfect compliment to Watson. He just does so much well that I don't understand how people are seeing what they are seeing. 

He's my WR1 by far

I'm a Zay Flowers stan, I just suppress it because #thresholds

• Like 1