Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

4 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Add Bijan to that too. TE can be addressed in the 2nd

Absolutely not. Risk is too high, and you can find serviceable RBs off the street.

Im shocked Yosh didn’t get claimed . Didn’t he have a pretty good season despite playing RT for the 1st time this year? I’ve always thought he played well for us.

54 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Absolutely not. Risk is too high, and you can find serviceable RBs off the street.

Im shocked Yosh didn’t get claimed . Didn’t he have a pretty good season despite playing RT for the 1st time this year? I’ve always thought he played well for us.

2nd round pick and having to write a decent contract that you think GB wouldn't match.  Is Yosh better as a player than a prospect that could be added in the draft for cheaper?

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

The Packers will never, ever select a fantastic round peg for their square holes. I don’t let myself breathe any air into the Nolan Smith idea, though I’d be very enthusiastic if I am wrong about Gute et al on that one.

Our TE problem is what it has always been. We’re too smart to pick one early and we’re late to the party after the run has begun. Hello Richard Rodgers 2, whoever you may be. 

I think Smith is very much in play for the Packers at 15. Gutes drafts players to fit the coach's schemes and that never should have been louder for fans then last year when they selected Quay Walker with the 20th overall pick. Walker would never been selected if Pettine or others were the DC, but with Barry's defense ILB is a focal point. All the big Edge players were a product of what Pettine wanted, why the Smith brothers were signed, and Matthews was the round peg/square hole guy. Yet Matthews was signed by the Rams to go play in Barry's defense. Barry was asked the Edge question when he was hired and said his defense worked with either, it wasn't important to have one or the other type. 

They could select a large or small Edge, but it won't be scheme driven. The player selected will be selected because he is the better player and that just might be Smith this year.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

2nd round pick and having to write a decent contract that you think GB wouldn't match.  Is Yosh better as a player than a prospect that could be added in the draft for cheaper?

I’d take a quality tackle over a 2nd round tackle prospect .

38 minutes ago, R T said:

I think Smith is very much in play for the Packers at 15. Gutes drafts players to fit the coach's schemes and that never should have been louder for fans then last year when they selected Quay Walker with the 20th overall pick. Walker would never been selected if Pettine or others were the DC, but with Barry's defense ILB is a focal point. All the big Edge players were a product of what Pettine wanted, why the Smith brothers were signed, and Matthews was the round peg/square hole guy. Yet Matthews was signed by the Rams to go play in Barry's defense. Barry was asked the Edge question when he was hired and said his defense worked with either, it wasn't important to have one or the other type. 

They could select a large or small Edge, but it won't be scheme driven. The player selected will be selected because he is the better player and that just might be Smith this year.   

I know jack **** about Smith...but a question that came to me while reading along was if he could be pushed around at the next level. Apparently he's got speed and toughness in spades....but it concerns me if that can be negated by an inability to get past (or off) blockers.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

He's a Top 5 player in this draft and the best RB to come out in the last decade. Dillons contract is up after this year, and Jones will have a year remaining at 29 years old. We can move on from both next season if desired. 

May be a year too early to address RB, but considering the talent level we're talking about with Bijan, the state of the room next year, and there could definitely be worse picks than a RB. I'm all for adding blue chip players regardless of position

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I know jack **** about Smith...but a question that came to me while reading along was if he could be pushed around at the next level. Apparently he's got speed and toughness in spades....but it concerns me if that can be negated by an inability to get past (or off) blockers.

He's 238, Brian Burnes was 235 coming out of college. Smith also earned a 90+ run defense grade the past two seasons, he is not a liability defending the run game. 

• Like 1

If we look at past history, Gutsey drafts key positions a year before they are needed. What will be missing next year? Aaron Jones is not going to be a Packer next year. Too big of hit to the cap space. Is Dillon the workhorse back to replace him? No, so a running back will be selected. Will it be Robinson, the back from Texas A&M or the back from Pittsburgh? Those three seem the logical choice in likeness to what Jones does.

I have no idea, but Robinson is very likely going to be there at 15 and be the BPA, and fill a need later.

4 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

He's a Top 5 player in this draft and the best RB to come out in the last decade. Dillons contract is up after this year, and Jones will have a year remaining at 29 years old. We can move on from both next season if desired. 

May be a year too early to address RB, but considering the talent level we're talking about with Bijan, the state of the room next year, and there could definitely be worse picks than a RB. I'm all for adding blue chip players regardless of position

Which combo is better..

Bijan (1st ) + Warren McClendon/ Warren Carter/ Tyler Steen (4th)

Or

Broderick Jones/ Paris Johnson / Wright (1st)  +  Abanikanda/ Chase Brown / Roschon Johnson/ Zach Evans(4th)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’d take a quality tackle over a 2nd round tackle prospect .

Calling him a quality tackle is a loose description and very much up for debate. When factoring in money I think 32 GM's would disagree with you about taking him over a 2nd round prospect.  

Smith is an enigma, why because when I hear experts talk…he’s never mentioned. This is only based on local sports shows and NFL XM radio. I just find it strange after his combine performance, he should be the in the top 15, but he’s not….

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Which combo is better..

Bijan (1st ) + Warren McClendon/ Warren Carter/ Tyler Steen (4th)

Or

Broderick Jones/ Paris Johnson / Wright (1st)  +  Abanikanda/ Chase Brown / Roschon Johnson/ Zach Evans(4th)

The second one. The context of my original reply never said differently.