Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

I like Brian Branch a lot. Think his combine RAS is not really indicative. He's my #3 DB in the draft. Dude just doesn't miss tackles in the open field and has great instincts and stepped into Alabama's defense as a true freshman and was productive.

He's in the upper tiers of explosion (vert and broad) and 10yd. His long speed is not good and his COD is unknown. 

Guy had 14 TFL as the STAR in Saban's defense last year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

DL class is pretty weak after like the top 5, maybe 6 guys (Carter, Bresee, Kancey, Smith, Benton and maybe Dexter). I guess that would also depend on how teams would try to use AA and Keion White (stand-up EDGE or hand in the dirt). All those guys will likely require a 1st or 2nd round selection.

The only other notable guys for me as of today are Zacch Pickens (6'3" 291, 9.16 RAS, 7.45 3 cone), Dante Stills (6'3" 286, 8.62 RAS, 7.38 3 cone), Moro Ojomo (6'2" 289, 9.10 RAS, 7.45 3 cone), Colby Wooden (6'4" 273, 9.26 RAS, 7.49 3 cone) or someone like Jaquelin Roy whose tape looks better than they tested. A lot of those guys might get over drafted due to their testing as well. So, if you want a DL, you're going to have to invest a premium pick into one otherwise it's unlikely you're getting a viable contributor down the line. Plus, DL is a spot that doesn't really translate to early success unless they're special.

I haven't dug too deep with the DL.  But I do know that there are plenty of fat guys that, if nothing else, are big bodies to get in the way.  In my mock draft sims, a lot of times I end up grabbing a lineman late, for depth.  I usually end up with Broderic Martin from Western Kentucky, Jerrod Clark from Costal Carolina, or Cory Durden from NC State.  I don't know if any of them are good, and they may just be competition for Ford and Slayton.  

I only saw a little bit, but Kobie Turner from Wake looked pretty impressive, but he might not have the length that we want.  

After a little bit of digging, I may have found our Allen Lazard type.  Justin Shorter from Florida.  He is 6'4 229 at the combine.  Watching highlights, he is faster than he is quick.  Watching his snaps vs LSU, he is pretty good at blocking.  I wouldn't say he is great, but there is some effort there, and he has the requisite size.  

UF vs LSU:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcwlVFKMN0&ab_channel=EquableRogue

UF vs Utah:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COr9ZRdTuNU&ab_channel=DeludedYinzer

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

After a little bit of digging, I may have found our Allen Lazard type.  Justin Shorter from Florida.  He is 6'4 229 at the combine.  Watching highlights, he is faster than he is quick.  Watching his snaps vs LSU, he is pretty good at blocking.  I wouldn't say he is great, but there is some effort there, and he has the requisite size.  

UF vs LSU:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcwlVFKMN0&ab_channel=EquableRogue

UF vs Utah:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COr9ZRdTuNU&ab_channel=DeludedYinzer

You never know, but his agility numbers are just brutal. May be wrong but don't believe you will find a player the Packers drafted that is even close to that poor. 

3-cone times. 

Allen Lazard 7.11, Justin Shorter 7.35

Maybe look at Elijah Higgins?

Elijah Higgins RAS

Edited by R T

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

FYI, following the sentiment of some on here, Chris Simms has Darnell Wright as his #1 OT in this draft.

He dominated the SEC. I'm kinda surprised that he and Paris weren't fixtures in the top 5-10 picks all off-season. Clear top 2 OTs to me. Both seem like no-brainer top 10 picks. 

Then Jones and Skoronski each have questions, but I can justify a 12-20ish pick for both of them. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

You never know, but his agility numbers are just brutal. May be wrong but don't believe you will find a player the Packers drafted that is even close to that poor. 

3-cone times. 

Allen Lazard 7.11, Justin Shorter 7.35

Maybe look at Elijah Higgins?

Elijah Higgins RAS

No doubt.  Most of the WRs that I have been talking about recently are like round 6 to UDFA guys.  I probably should have made that clear.  Like, I like a lot of them, but I like them in the same way that I liked Darrius Shepherd, Juwann Winfree, Malik Taylor, etc.  Bring them in, see what they do in preseason, and if they work out PS them and maybe get them a little real PT.  I am just kind of looking for guys that fit in the possession WR role, and not necessarily spend a premium for them.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I like Brian Branch a lot. Think his combine RAS is not really indicative. He's my #3 DB in the draft. Dude just doesn't miss tackles in the open field and has great instincts and stepped into Alabama's defense as a true freshman and was productive.

He's in the upper tiers of explosion (vert and broad) and 10yd. His long speed is not good and his COD is unknown. 

Guy had 14 TFL as the STAR in Saban's defense last year.

Branch is a good player, simple as that. I like him for some of the same reasons I like JSN - he may not be the most impressive gym rat but on Sunday he's still going to win because he's going to be smarter than the guy across from him. Branch's fundamentals, instincts and awareness make him play fast on the field. If he somehow falls to the 2nd it would be tough to pass on him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

No doubt.  Most of the WRs that I have been talking about recently are like round 6 to UDFA guys.  I probably should have made that clear.  Like, I like a lot of them, but I like them in the same way that I liked Darrius Shepherd, Juwann Winfree, Malik Taylor, etc.  Bring them in, see what they do in preseason, and if they work out PS them and maybe get them a little real PT.  I am just kind of looking for guys that fit in the possession WR role, and not necessarily spend a premium for them.

Yep, aware that Shorter is a 7th round type. That is why I suggested Higgins, he is also. 

• Like 1

I don't think Wright or Paris are there at 15. Skoroniski seems more like an elite guard than a tackle from what I've seen/read. I think we need to go pass rusher with 15, ideally with Van Ness / Nolan Smith (Tyree Wilson and Anderson likely picked already) Trade up to the end of the first / start of the second to get the best pass catcher available (JSN, Kincaid, Zay,Jonston,Washington). BPA available leaning offense with the other second-round pick (OT,WR,TE) 

We need a stud opposite Gary. The pass rush was brutal to watch after he went down. 

Edited by PackFan13
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

I don't think Wright or Paris are there at 15. Skoroniski seems more like an elite guard than a tackle from what I've seen/read. I think we need to go pass rusher with 15, ideally with Van Ness / Nolan Smith (Tyree Wilson and Anderson likely picked already) Trade up to the end of the first / start of the second to get the best pass catcher available (JSN, Kincaid, Zay,Jonston,Washington). BPA available leaning offense with the other second-round pick (OT,WR,TE) 

We need a stud opposite Gary. The pass rush was brutal to watch after he went down. 

If Skoronski projects to be an elite guard then hopefully they scoop him up. Position doesn't matter to me; if the guy figures to be elite grab him. Positional value be damned

12 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

If Skoronski projects to be an elite guard then hopefully they scoop him up. Position doesn't matter to me; if the guy figures to be elite grab him. Positional value be damned

I would prefer Wright if we're gonna have a Converted Guard(he and Jenkins would be a lethal pair inside), but yeah, I can see Skor too.

2 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Van Ness / Smith gives you a potentially elite edge. I'm taking that over a potentially elite guard everytime. 

• Like 1