Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

6 hours ago, craig said:

I'm thinking the 2nd-round strategy appeals best to me? The 3rd-round approach might be great; but it may also be that the top guys might all be gone by then?  And even if the media-6 aren't exhausted, Gute might not scout all of them as highly.

Given that Whyle may be the Packers later pick at TE (let's say the 2nd pick in round five), then it could well be the Packers get TE Musgrave with the Jets pick at #42/#43 for a nice double-dip to shore up their weakest position group.

14 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

6.7 tight ends (1.5) - 0.7 per year

8 offensive guards (2) -1.2 per year

10 centers (1) - 0.7 per year

12 to 16 safeties (2 or 1.5) - 1.7 per year

19 running backs (1) - 1.4 per year

22.5 OTs (2) - 3.2 per year

20.4 to 25.5 wide receiver (2.5 or 2) - 3.6 per year

21.2 to 26.5 cornerbacks (2.5 or 2) - 3.8 per year

24 DT/NTs (1.5) - 2.6 per year

29.5 DE (2) - 4.2 per year

40 quarterbacks (1) - 2.9 per year

Adjusted for players/field as mentioned (number of personnel per snap estimated)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

As positional groups go, what is the weakest group this year? Seems like wr, dt dont have much depth. safety lacks top tier talent but i like some of the 3rd/4th round guys.

Safety, for me, without a doubt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

As positional groups go, what is the weakest group this year? Seems like wr, dt dont have much depth. safety lacks top tier talent but i like some of the 3rd/4th round guys. 

Daniel Jeremiah ranked the positions a few days ago and had off the ball LB and safety as the weakest two positions in the draft. That is consistent with ranking from others like Bleacher Report that also did the rankings. 

• Like 1

This could have it's own thread, but I'll put it here with all the other draft stuff.

So, how about people here letting us know their favourite prospects.

Here are a seven of mine.

Edge Lukas Van Ness. Size/speed/power is all very much in the Packers wheelhouse. Needs consistency. Round 1, may be gone at 13 or 15.

TE's Washington and Musgrave, * one mostly for blocking and the other mostly for pass catching , get both in round two (42 and 45).

WR A.T.Perry Tall, very smart, great route runner, needs work on securing the ball. Round 3.
Also like Safety Sydney Brown, but though very athletic,  his short, dense frame (5'10", 211 lbs) may not meet minimum thresholds for the Packers. Of course if they could afford him (and are ok with his height) there is always vet safety Budda Baker (who wants out of Arizona).

RB Israel Abanikanda. Has the size Green Bay covets (5'10", 217). Has the speed and wiggle. Needs to improve vision. Round 4 (hopefully). I like undersized RB Keaton Mitchell plenty (5'8", 180 lb), maybe more than Abanikanda, though he is a different kind of RB, sub 4.4 speed and can leave tacklers grasping air, with his cuts. He'd look good if he's there for a round 5 pick (and the Packers have had him in for a visit) - he would be exciting in the GB backfield.

* Looks like Whyle could be one of the TEs for the Packers, so my dream of a Washington/Musgrave duo seems only the very vaguest of dreams.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

So, how about people here letting us know their favourite prospects

I will play your little game.  I am going to skip the higher rated prospects, and go for some deeper dives.  Here are ten of "my guys" that are a little less talked about, I think.

Keaton Mitchell.  Usually I hate small players.  I looked at him after the Packers brought him in for a visit.  I don't see an every down back, but I do see a return of the Tyler Ervin/Tavon Austin role in the offense if he is added.  He has legit speed and elusiveness.

I like a lot of WRs that should go later.  Of the higher rated WRs, most don't tick the size box the Packers usually go for, so we have to dig deeper.  I think my favorites are Bryce Ford-Wheaton, Matt Landers, Jadon Haselwood, and Justin Shorter.  

I don't know if Zach Kuntz is under the radar, but he is a mammoth, and I like having him as a lottery ticket.

If we miss out on the top edge prospects, I like Isiah McGuire (yeah, I'm a homer) and YaYa Diaby as guys that can develop into contributors.  I also like the size that Zach Harrison brings to the table, whether that is an end or a rusher, I don't know.

At safety, I like Daniel Scott.  He is bigger than most in this class, was a team captain, and I believe he plays on all special teams units.  He also is a good enough athlete to not be concerned that he will be physically overmatched very often.

And if anyone can point me in the direction of this year's Zach Tom, Allen Babre, or that lumberjack dude, that is my favorite OL.  Cody Mauch is built too much like Dean Lowry to be one of my guys.

3 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

PFN mocks are too fun. Rodgers for 42 this year. Saints offered 29 and 40 for 15. The board was pretty bad at 15.

29. Dalton Kincaid TE Utah

40. Zay Flowers WR Boston College

42. Darnell Washington TE Georgia

45. Will McDonald IV EDGE Iowa State

78. Blake Freeland OT BYU 

116. Chase Brown RB Illinois

123. Jonathan Mingo WR Ole Miss

170. Trey Dean S Florida

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Remember when the one guy a few years ago just kept trading and had like 30 seventh round picks?  LOL

6 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This could have it's own thread, but I'll put it here with all the other draft stuff.

So, how about people here letting us know their favourite prospects.

QB Clayton Tune

RB Kendre Miller, Roschon Johnson

WR Jonathan Mingo, Grant DuBose

TE Luke Schoonmaker

OT Nick Saldiveri

IOL Anthony Bradford, Jon Gaines

DL Mazi Smith, Jerrod Clark, Scott Matlock

EDGE Myles Murphy, Isaiah Foskey, D.J. Johnson

LB Isaiah Moore

CB D.J. Turner, Julius Brents, Kei'Trel Clark

S Jason Taylor