Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I don't think anyone is questioning that. Did this carry over from Olave and Wilson last year? I mean, if JSN gets knocked for it, shouldn't they too?

The threat JSN offered in the slot at OSU should have factored into the eval of Wilson and Olave, yes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cousin Eddie said:

What does the number of posts have to do with this? You think Hyatt will bust, I think JSN will. I will root for either of them if the Pack pick them.

Make that 57 posts.

I thought post count is irrelevant at first, too. But it actually does provide context. Someone with a higher post count is more likely to have a "known" position or previously provided reasoning for a decision in one of their many previous posts. 

So if someone with very few posts makes a statement with no supporting evidence, it's far more likely to get called out.

Not saying it's the coolest response, but my mind ultimately arrived at the conclusion that post count may be relevant data when assessing the veracity of someone's opinion.

This Cousin Eddie is skeptical about JSN. So am I. Everyone knows why we some are skeptical. We share the same concerns—if one can name something you don’t really care about as a concern.  Those who are not skeptical of JSN just seem so annoyed at our lack of faith. That’s cool. It’s the season for such fervor—believers vs apostates. Sez me anyway, and my post count demands you respect my authority. Or at least validate my parking.

For all his lack of posting this Cousin Eddie is not a Vikings fan. Plus, I assume he doesn’t still wear leisure suits. That makes him waay cooler than my actual Cousin Eddie.

12 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

This Cousin Eddie is skeptical about JSN. So am I. Everyone knows why we some are skeptical. We share the same concerns—if one can name something you don’t really care about as a concern.  Those who are not skeptical of JSN just seem so annoyed at our lack of faith. That’s cool. It’s the season for such fervor—believers vs apostates. Sez me anyway, and my post count demands you respect my authority. Or at least validate my parking.

For all his lack of posting this Cousin Eddie is not a Vikings fan. Plus, I assume he doesn’t still wear leisure suits. That makes him waay cooler than my actual Cousin Eddie.

I'm taking liberal use of your username here but I need you to tell me why Alexander Holtz sucks @Forge

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I'm skeptical, and I have him as the #1 WR in this draft and think he'd be a good fit with the Packers. I don't think he'd be considered in the top 15 in a normal year. That 1.65 10yd split is brutal, and his long speed is below average. I don't care what time they manufactured at his Pro Day. He got run down from behind repeatedly on tape by college CBs. He has a lot of Jarvis Landry in his game.

5 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Die hard Packer fan and no leisure suits. Unless there are some insiders posting on this forum, we are all just armchair GM's.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:46 AM, R T said:

Not sure how much that is saying, the over/under in Vagas is 4.5. They are saying JSN, Flowers, Addison and Johnston have a strong likelihood of going and now bet on if another goes or not. I would bet not. 

Yeah, but an O/U is set to get even money, not necessarily to be "right" and schlubs like us ALWAYS overvalue the "sexy" positions (QB, RB, WR) when looking at a draft 

This year feels like a "boring" first round to me (lots of D and OL after the top 3-4 qbs go early) and most of the skill positions will fly off the board in day 2.

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Still 12 days to go so maybe I'll change my mind on a few of these, but I think I've settled on my top 10 most likely picks for the Packers at 15 (assuming no trade up or trade down), separated into 3 groups:

Notable players not included because I consider them gone well before 15: Anderson, Wilson, Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Carter

Group 1 -> Guys I doubt make it to 15 but would be at the top GB's board if they do: 

1. Paris Johnson (OT) - I think the Packers will view him as the prize OL in the draft and would pounce on him as Bak's replacement for 2024. This year, he would instantly start at RT or even RG if they want competition there. 
  2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (WR) - it's been discussed, but there isn't a better plug-n-play weapon for Love than JSN.  
  3. Lukas Van Ness (EDGE) - Guessing Packers view him slightly above Murphy as the top EDGE guy after the two top guys are gone (Anderson/Wilson). I think other teams will feel the same way though, and I doubt he's there at 15. 

Group 2 -> Guys I suspect have at least a 50% or better chance of being available at pick 15 and would be the most likely options on the board: 

1. Myles Murphy (EDGE) - If LVN is gone, Murphy becomes the obvious pick at EDGE in my opinion. Fits the Packers' EDGE profile and has most of the athletic traits Gutey likes. 
  2. Broderick Jones (OT) - I have him above Wright in terms of what I think the Packers would want in an OT at pick 15. Jones probably isn't plug-n-play this season like Paris or maybe even Wright, but he's still a long-term option for replacing Bak and Wright likely is not. That's why Jones gets the nod. 
  3. Darnell Wright (OT) - Part of me still has trouble seeing the fit for Wright in GB's run scheme, and they typically avoid OTs as heavy as him. That being said, if they think he's a scheme fit, there are worse choices than getting a guy who you can probably just plug in as your starting RT for the next 8-10 years. 
  4. Brian Bresee (DL) - Bresee doesn't get talked about much, but his athletic profile is too on point to think he's not going to be high on Gute's board. DL is still a sneaky need after losing 2 guys this off-season and we really don't have a guy like Bresee on the roster. I wouldn't love this pick, but I think he's firmly in play at 15. 

Group 3 -> Sleeper picks at 15 (Guys I think GB will be higher on than most other teams) 

1. Adetomiwa Adebawore (EDGE/DL) - unless I missed it, no one is really talking about AA being a top 15-20 pick, but as I mentioned on here a few days ago, I think Gute is probably absolutely salivating over this guy. He destroyed the combine and gives off some Gary vibes in terms of his athletic profile. The only question I have about AA is his fit given that he's under 6'2", which is short, especially for EDGE. Moreover, he may be too light to play DE in our defense. Still, nothing at all would shock me if Gute goes rogue again and drafts a guy at 15 who isn't showing up in any media mocks. 
  2. Keion White (EDGE/DL) - I mocked White to GB at 15 in the first mock I did right before the combine. Since then, you haven't heard much about the guy, and like AA, he's not really showing up in many first round mocks, especially as high as 15. Yet, I found it very interesting that he was invited to the draft, a sign that there's at least a decent expectation he's going in round 1. He's another super athlete who, unlike AA, has the prototypical size Gute would covet at EDGE, or as a hybrid type player. Don't be shocked if White is our guy. 
  3. Michael Mayer (TE) - unlike AA and White, a decent number of media mocks have had GB taking Mayer at 15. Still, he's a "sleeper" pick for me because of his position and the narrative that GB won't draft a TE in the first round. While this is likely true, I am having trouble finding a guy that Matt LaFleur wouldn't pound the table for more than Mayer (maybe other than JSN). We all saw Gute go against the grain last year and draft Walker, presumably because Barry wanted that piece on defense. Is it impossible to imagine that Gute would do the same thing this year and give LaFleur his guy? Mayer is a complete TE, something LaFleur's offense covets and something he's never had since being hired. He's not a super athlete but he's the most complete TE in the draft and I wouldn't be shocked if Gute ended up turning in that card, especially if LaFleur is in his ear. 

Notable names who didn't make the cut: 

1. Peter Skoronski (OL) - I like Skoronski and he could very well be gone by 15 anyways, but I don't think the Packers would take him over the other OL options due to the fact that he's probably best suited for OG. I just don't think the Packers will value that as high on their board. 
  2. Nolan Smith (EDGE) - I'm not convinced the Packers have Smith as high on their board as some might think. I think he's too light (even with Barry's past of playing with lighter EDGE guys in LA). My guess is that that he's well behind LVN and Murphy on the board, and maybe even behind AA and White. In fact, if the Packers did go with a "speed" EDGE guy, I'm not convinced they would choose Smith over McDonald. I think McDonald will be the better pro. 
  3. Joey Porter (CB) - I'm guessing he's probably the top CB on the Packers' board after Gonzalez and Witherspoon, but I'm not convinced the Packers will go that route. While CB depth is always nice, I would see drafting Porter as a sign the Packers are looking to move on from Stokes as a starter and I don't think that's the case. Alexander is entrenched at least for a few more years on one side and likely Stokes on the other (with Sul as well). I don't think GB uses another 1st round on a boundary CB. 

Well done.

When pick 15 comes around I think Gute will take one of these four:

LVN, Murphy, Bresee or Wright.

Know it's not sexy; but I'm pulling for Bresee because of intangibles. 

• Like 2