Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

Keep reading the knock on JSN is he "routinely" gets caught from behind.   Don't agree with that narrative but the upshot of that....he IS routinely out in front of whoever is trying desperately to keep up with him  

:Few interesting stats regarding JSN from his full 2021 season:

13 games 95 receptions 1606 yards 9 TD's

• Kyler McCord and/or Jack Smith played in at least 5 of his 13 games and he didn't even play past the 3rd qtr in those contests
  • Of those 95 receptions - 67 resulted in a 1st down or TD
  • Only 12 total incompletions when targeting JSN
  • Only 6 of 95 completions were for 5 yds or less
  • Of the 35 10 yards or less, 9 resulted in a first down or TD
  • 60 receptions >10yards  44>15  29>20  21>25  15>30  8>40  4>50 (two more at 49) 1>75
  • Registered an "explosive play" (20 yds or greater) in 11 of his 13 contests
  • Ohio St played 5 teams ranked in the Top 20 over their final 6 games '21.   In those 5 games JSN had 51 receptions, 815 yards and 5 TD's

30% of his receptions resulted in explosive plays, nearly half of his touches resulting in 15+ yard gains.   Ya'll can spend your time watching highlights and lamenting how he got caught from behind cuz he's just too slow, I'm busy marvelling at watching yet another 20 yard gain or 1st down/TD while the defense scrambles to keep up

Good post .. JSN is a player.  He'd be a perfect fit for the Packers.  He'd be an elite slot and a great go to guy for Love. 

36 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, is there really another viable take out there right now? Have heard nothing about character IRT Wright and he made 42 starts in 4 years so the medical question is probably ruled out. The only thing he's been knocked for is his weight/endurance. Last two seasons he's either tied or lead the team in offensive snaps.

I would image all the visits is because teams are trying to get a grip on his maturity level. He got into it with some guy doing draft analysis, called the guy a d*ckeater and threatened him with violence. Some fans will laugh and think that is nothing, but if the dude is snapping over that it very well could be the tip of the iceberg. Teams want to know if he is going to boil over on coaches and/or teammates. Need to weight investing high draft capital on a question mark. No team wants to draft Isaiah Wilson 2.0. 

Edit: Will strike a part of this comment because a tweet did not say that or such tweet was deleted.  

Edited by R T

1 minute ago, R T said:

I would image all the visits is because teams are trying to get a grip on his maturity level. He got into it with some guy doing draft analysis, called the guy a d*ckeater and threatened him with violence. Some fans will laugh and think that is nothing, but if the dude is snapping over that it very well could be the tip of the iceberg. Teams want to know if he is going to boil over on coaches and/or teammates. Need to weight investing high draft capital on a question mark. No team wants to draft Isaiah Wilson 2.0.  

https://www.outkick.com/darnell-wright-tennessee-nfl-draft-viral-direct-message-dm-twitter-reporter/

Where'd he threaten him with violence?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The article I read said something along the lines that he told the guy he would **** him up if they ever crossed paths and then deleted it, I don't know because I haven't seen any of it. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of teams have concerns about him off the field.  

3 minutes ago, R T said:

The article I read said something along the lines that he told the guy he would **** him up if they ever crossed paths and then deleted it, I don't know because I haven't seen any of it. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of teams have concerns about him off the field.  

I've read the guy's tweets. There was no mention of a threat of violence.

Bolded is your assumption based on nothing but a visit list.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I've read the guy's tweets. There was no mention of a threat of violence.

Bolded is your assumption.

Whatever works for you is fine, I don't care if people think it is no big deal or not. That is your prerogative. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

For argument sake, let's keep the Packers at 15. Nobody in the top ten drops.

Your choices: Wright-RT

Porter-CB

Mayer-TE

Murphy-Edge

Johnson-WR

Torrence-OG

Smith-Edge

LVN-Edge

Robinson-RB

Who do you pick? My first reaction is the Packers take Murphy. He He's 6-5/268#s and a 4.5 forty guy. Since I'm always wrong except maybe twice over the past 10 years....I think the guy Gutsey wants, the guy whose name is on that post-it note, the guy he's never mentioned is NOLAN SMITH-EDGE RUSHER from UGA.

I know he doesn't fit the big and strong profile like Gary, but he's 2 inches shorter than Will McDonald from Iowa St. yet he's almost the same weight and Green Bay is interested in McDonald . Smith was very effective in stopping the run but his speed and athletic ability is second to nobody. I didn't like Burns when Green Bay took Gary. Similar build as Smith but not as quick. It seems to me that the team envisions Smith like they did CMII.

Anyway, it's not something I know for sure except that it's a zig when you expect a zag and that is what Gutsey likes doing.

I had a look through the Packers top 30 visits list so far and I noticed something interesting, only 1 WR has been brought in for a visit. Completely different to us bringing in 7 last year.

You would've thought WR was still a position of weakness and needs further draft investment so surely looking at WRs would be a priority.

Last year we didn't bother bringing in any of the top 1st round WRs such as London, Olave, Williams and Wilson for a visit probably because as 1st round prospects we already knew enough about them but instead we brought in a number of "2nd round" tiered WRs for a look and sure enough a number of them were available for our 2nd round pick, almost as if we were deliberately targeting the 2nd round to draft a WR.

If the Packers follows the same pattern then either we targeting a WR in the 1st round or we're not prioritising a WR later in the draft this year.

This year our focus on top 30 visits has been on EDGE, OL, SAF and TE. Especially TE with 5 brought in so far. If last year is anything to go by then it sure feels like we're targeting a TE on the 2nd round.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, R T said:

You are welcome to chase those numbers down if you like, but history tells us that the higher the visit numbers the more questions there are about the prospect. The flipside is examples of super clean prospects like Josh Downs who hasn't take a single visit and has none scheduled.  

Citation needed. You're the one making a claim, not me.

1 hour ago, R T said:

I've brought this up before and it was ignored, but does any one question why Wright is going to have over twenty 30-visits before the draft? There are 3 reasons why teams bring players in for 30-visits and none of them is to announce to the world they really like that player and would like to draft them. There is either a medical issue, a character issue or for players that are borderline draftable it is a recruitment visit. Teams are scrambling to get a handle on something with Wright before draft, he more than likely is not a clean prospect. 

Wright ended up with 14 visits according to SI. Could be due to his ranging grades, teams like Dallas and Buffalo had him in. The Saints had him in and they don't have a 1st rounder. Then Philly, Bears and Packers all had him in and are picking top 15.

Guys like Skoronski, Johnson and Jones aren't visiting with teams that late in the draft.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Citation needed. You're the one making a claim, not me.

I don't need to chase down something for you, history tells us year after year that a high volume of 30-visits is a risky prospect. If you chose to ignore that fact, go ahead. I personally don't care if you buy it or not, just threw it out there as food for thought.