Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

What 40 time would kill him for you? It would have to be in the 4.7 or so range for me.  We know that he doesn't have the long speed, even his highlight videos show that.  But he has near perfect acceleration and COD.  I don't covet him at 15, but I don't think that I would be super disappointed either.  

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

He's a tight end with limited production in college whose best trait is blocking.  If someone takes him in the first, you're glad about it because that means a non-tight end is going to fall one slot further.  

The TE class is pretty deep.  The Packers aren't going TE in the first, too many bigger needs.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Honestly thought they cut him for all the good he’s done them.

He had 5 sacks. 

Yeah but he punches women. He's exactly what we need for our attitude on D!!!

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Is any position important in the NFL?

This made me smile actually.

But words are important unfortunately. I said they’re overrated, not unnecessary. I didn’t say they were unimportant.

They’re overrated.

Preston Smith and a healthy Gary is more than enough in today’s NFL if you have an interior rusher.

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah but he punches women. He's exactly what we need for our attitude on D!!!

You joke about it, and I would draw the line at players who punch a woman, but defenses don’t win Super Bowls without a good handful of thug mentality players.

Chris Jones spends his weekends racing and making it rain in strip clubs and gambling. Kenny Clark LARPS with Mike Daniels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

This made me smile actually.

But words are important unfortunately. I said they’re overrated, not unnecessary. I didn’t say they were unimportant.

They’re overrated.

Preston Smith and a healthy Gary is more than enough in today’s NFL if you have an interior rusher.

So a top 15 pick and a higher priced FA is all you need? I'd argue the opposite, the escape to the alleys is becoming more and more a necessity for your QB. You need EDGE guys that can win upfield and enclose the pocket. 

A nice interior rush is great, but can be mitigated if you don't collapse the pocket on the edge.

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What 40 time would kill him for you? It would have to be in the 4.7 or so range for me.  We know that he doesn't have the long speed, even his highlight videos show that.  But he has near perfect acceleration and COD.  I don't covet him at 15, but I don't think that I would be super disappointed either.  

I think he would be great for the Packers. They need a guy who can get open on any play and be a volume WR. A technician in the middle. That's him.  My concerns are the Packers don't take WRs in the first, and his hamstring issues most of last year.   He's perfect for what they need, but there are risks there.  Cold weather and hamstring issues don't mix.  He'd be Loves best friend in the slot, just don't think the Packers go there with having other needs. I really like him though.

Edited by NFLGURU

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So a top 15 pick and a higher priced FA is all you need? I'd argue the opposite, the escape to the alleys is becoming more and more a necessity for your QB. You need EDGE guys that can win upfield and enclose the pocket. 

A nice interior rush is great, but can be mitigated if you don't collapse the pocket on the edge.

I don’t deny that, but the availability of good EDGE talent compared to good interior pass rushers makes going for an IDL a priority.

It’s an element of team building that’s vastly overlooked.

In the year 2000, how many receivers compared to the ones out there today? Christian Watson in 2000 would be probably the most exciting thing to happen ever in the history of ever. But rule changes and a mass influx of talent at the position let’s guys like Diggs last until the 5th round.

The same thing is happening at EDGE.

Can you remember a period in the NFL where there was the equivalent of the Bosas, Garrett, Jones, Crosby, Watt, Parsons, Burns, Gary, Hunter, Young?

I’m legit asking and I’m not even that interested in this. Like always, I have a thought, I state it more to be proven wrong and if I’m not proven wrong I keep going with it.

I mean just going back to the changeover between Favre and Rodgers, we’re looking at Aaron Kampman being the most exciting pass rusher we’d had in a while.

It feels like EDGE rushers are getting significantly easier to find.

I would counter "edge guys are easier to find" with "good offensive linemen are harder to find."  Since colleges tend to run more quick passing offenses with wide sets the "fundamentals" aren't as fundamental as they used to be- guys come into the league needing to learn a lot more than they did 15 years ago.

Like Zach Tom being good is perhaps the most exciting pick Gute has made so far.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don’t deny that, but the availability of good EDGE talent compared to good interior pass rushers makes going for an IDL a priority.

It’s an element of team building that’s vastly overlooked.

In the year 2000, how many receivers compared to the ones out there today? Christian Watson in 2000 would be probably the most exciting thing to happen ever in the history of ever. But rule changes and a mass influx of talent at the position let’s guys like Diggs last until the 5th round.

The same thing is happening at EDGE.

Can you remember a period in the NFL where there was the equivalent of the Bosas, Garrett, Jones, Crosby, Watt, Parsons, Burns, Gary, Hunter, Young?

I’m legit asking and I’m not even that interested in this. Like always, I have a thought, I state it more to be proven wrong and if I’m not proven wrong I keep going with it.

I mean just going back to the changeover between Favre and Rodgers, we’re looking at Aaron Kampman being the most exciting pass rusher we’d had in a while.

It feels like EDGE rushers are getting significantly easier to find.

Well yes, IDL who can dominate are rarer, but you can't force them to be available. There's Carter in this draft and that's it. That's how it's been the last few years, doesn't make EDGE overrated, they're still just as important, just easier to find.

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well yes, IDL who can dominate are rarer, but you can't force them to be available. There's Carter in this draft and that's it. That's how it's been the last few years, doesn't make EDGE overrated, they're still just as important, just easier to find.

If they are easier to find, the importance declines some.  

Scarcity alters importance.  See top tier QB for more 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If they are easier to find, the importance declines some.  

Scarcity alters importance.  See top tier QB for more 

There has to be a supply for there to be a demand, if you're talking Carter vs Anderson for teams at the top? I agree. Once Carter goes off the board there are loads of EDGE players better than the next IDL.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, incognito_man said:

Because you don't like any of the IDL prospects?

Because unless we can get our hands on a guy like Jalen Carter I see more value on drafting ER with our 15th pick, since you can still find value in IDL in day 2 picks, whereas that's much harder with ER.

• Like 1