The Soup Thread

skywindO2

Vietnamese pho - no seasons necessary, good at any point of the day. Chicken broth, vermicelli noodles, white and dark meat chicken, fresh mint leaves, fresh bean sprouts, raw jalapenos, a dash of hoisin, a dash of soy sauce, a dash of fish sauce, liberal amounts on sirracha - I've eaten literal gallons of this stuff this year alone, and it tastes just as good now as it did the first time I ate this stuff back in HS.

I live in a spot where I am (at most) a quarter mile away from four different pho places, it's possibly 1/5th of my overall "going out to eat" budget - I've had pho for every meal one day, and that was a glorious day.

Pro tips: Any pho place with the word "Saigon" is legit. Their pho is going to be very good. Any pho place with the word "bich" is God-tier good. 

• Like 1

The only "Soup" i like is Cream of Chicken, with a ton of cheddar cheese grated into it.  And dumped over rice.  When i'm feeling sick basically.

Or Tomato soup w/Macaronis in it, and a Good *** Grilled Cheese Sammich to dip in it.

Any and all other Soups are a waste of my time.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Vietnamese pho - no seasons necessary, good at any point of the day. Chicken broth, vermicelli noodles, white and dark meat chicken, fresh mint leaves, fresh bean sprouts, raw jalapenos, a dash of hoisin, a dash of soy sauce, a dash of fish sauce, liberal amounts on sirracha - I've eaten literal gallons of this stuff this year alone, and it tastes just as good now as it did the first time I ate this stuff back in HS.

I live in a spot where I am (at most) a quarter mile away from four different pho places, it's possibly 1/5th of my overall "going out to eat" budget - I've had pho for every meal one day, and that was a glorious day.

Pro tips: Any pho place with the word "Saigon" is legit. Their pho is going to be very good. Any pho place with the word "bich" is God-tier good. 

I wanna get into Pho, and there's like 5 different places within a mile of where i'm at.  But I've had some bad experiences and i hate paying real money for what amounts to like...some idiot made cup o' noodles and put some stuff in it.

It's also just not something that gets me real fired up as part of my "going out to eat budget".  Like it's just noodle soup.

Edited by Tugboat

I love soups. The ones I make the most often are Portuguese soup (kale, sausage, and potatoes), tomato soup, egg drop soup, and what I call Legend of Zelda soup (fish stock, butternut squash, and goat cheese).

Miso soup is nice too, when I’m in the mood for it and have a plan for what to do with all the leftover kelp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But I've had some bad experiences and i hate paying real money for what amounts to like...some idiot made cup o' noodles and put some stuff in it.

If this is your take on pho... then you need to set all five of the locations around you on fire. They've hurt you and you deserve retribution.

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If this is your take on pho... then you need to set all five of the locations around you on fire. They've hurt you and you deserve retribution.

I mean, this is my take on Pho independent and prior to moving to this place surrounded by them.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The only "Soup" i like is Cream of Chicken, with a ton of cheddar cheese grated into it.  And dumped over rice.  When i'm feeling sick basically.

Or Tomato soup w/Macaronis in it, and a Good *** Grilled Cheese Sammich to dip in it.

Any and all other Soups are a waste of my time.

Ok, don't burn anything down. I found the problem, and it's not the pho places.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Best friend is Vietnamese. Its the key benefit.

I am a big Ramen fan myself.  Where I live doesn't have enough or any spots that serve it but I've been to a few shops and my god.

Soupa Saiyan was incredible to me in Orlando but that could be nostalgia.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

Ok, don't burn anything down. I found the problem, and it's not the pho places.

Elaborate.

Like explain why "soup" doesn't suck?  Identifying the best soups and narrowing it down to those, isn't a liability.  It's a positive sillset.