The Soup Thread

skywindO2

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Kind of a funny chuckle now that I'm grown up. On certain special occasions, mom would make "cream of tomato soup", where she would add a can full of milk instead of a can full of water.

https://www.kroger.com/p/pacific-organic-roasted-red-pepper-tomato-soup/0005260304184

This is my go-to for grilled cheese and tomato soup dinners 

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Recipe me 

Ill list it off the top of my head and edit when I look at the recipe. At work right now.

This is for 7 people because I count as 3.

Seafood -

Need 2 claws and 2 tails of lobster (mostly for me and the wife) or can just do tails, your preference.

large shrimp - 1 lb-2lbs (kids and wife)

1 lb small scallops (all of us)

Dutch oven you put 2 onions (quartered), 1.5-2 lbs of tomatoes (I like mixing heirloom and grape tomatoes since I always grow both), 3 carrots cut into chunks, 2 stalks of celery (chunks), 1 head of garlic, 1 halved lemon, 1-2 diced red peppers. Douse it in olive oil, add salt and pepper, parsley, smoked paprika, 1 stick of butter, and 1 teaspoon of celery seeds. Roast at 300 for 40 mins. Melt a half stick or so of butter and add some garlic to it, cook for about a minute and take off the heat completely. Mix in some old bay seasoning, then put all the seafood in that pan and mix. You're not really cooking the meat here, just getting a good seasoning all over it.

Take it out and then  put the lobster, shrimp and scallops and put it right on top of the veg in the dutch oven. Pour the butter garlic mix all over, lid or foil back on top, then put it all back in the oven for 15 mins or so, tails should be red. I look at 10 mins if I think about it but they're never quite done. While that gets put in take the pan and put the shrimp shells in it, 1/3 cup brandy or cognac, and 3 cups of veg stock or broth. Cook until you are getting the dutch oven out in 10 mins. 

Remove the dutch oven and then remove all the seafood on top, take everything but the lemon and put all the roasted veggies in the blender. Garlic needs put in there after squeezing it all out too. Add the sauce you just made (strain the shrimp shells out) and blend until it's pretty smooth.

Add a little heavy cream after you pour your bowls to thicken it and cool it down, add the seafood to each bowl, and if you want to add herbs go for it. I don't but kids think it gets fancier with it.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Tell Pulp Fiction GIF

Again, fat man with a family, mind the portions.

Dutch oven again, dice 2 onions and saute in olive oil. Salt and pepper (don't be stingy), and then add 2-3 peeled and diced apples (fuji, other sweet ones would work too I'd bet) and 5 sweet potatoes that were peeled and diced. 10-15 minutes and they'll be soft. Add 3-4 cloves of minced garlic, some graded ginger, 2 tsp of smoked paprika, 1/3 cup (or more, I prefer to drink any more than the 1/3) of applejack brandy (Laird's is great). Cook it for a while then add a 4 cups of veg stock. Cook for 30 mins or so on a good simmer. Let it cool for a bit. Now you're going to blend it all until its smooth.

Here's my twist. You can add 1-2 cups of heavy cream or coconut, but I like to add 2 cups of Jack Daniels(wrong name) eggnog since it is a holiday soup for us. I really like it for a cheap premade eggnog. Add it to the blender once it is already blended smooth, give it a quick spin to mix it all together and then serve.

With the rest of the eggnog I add some to the maple/brown sugar carrots at the end to make a thick, delicious sauce syrup.

Edit - It's Southern Comfort Eggnog. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Soup?

Y'all and your good blood pressure. Enjoy while you can. **** has too much sodium (or at least go for healthier alternatives). 

I miss NE clam chowder

Only the canned stuff has absurd amounts of sodium.  Make it from scratch and you control the sodium content like any other food.

• Like 4