GDT: Cowboys @ Vikings - Dak Prescott vs. Kirko Chainz (Get your popcorn ready)

Tony7188

On 11/18/2022 at 11:37 AM, vike daddy said:

didn't Rush sort of show that to our defense last year, not Cousins?

QBs get most of the credit when they win and most of the blame when they lose. Last year, Rush also outplayed the 84 million, fully guaranteed dollar man. This year, Dak and the defense took Kirk's chains:

Edited by Tony7188

On 11/21/2022 at 8:00 PM, matt79511 said:

Okay, so I did the math and I have Dak at 5-20 vs. “good teams” (10+ wins) from 2017-2021. We can’t count this year since we don’t know what anyone’s final record will be- the Vikings could lose out for all we know, but so could any team Rush beat or Dak lost to. The main contention from Dak detractors is that his rookie year was a fluke, so let’s stick to the 5 years in between then and now.

2017: 2-3 (Ws vs KC and @ PHI, Ls vs LAR, @ ATL and vs PHI)

2018: 2-4 (Ws vs NO and vs SEA*, Ls @ SEA, @ HOU, @ IND and @ LAR*)

2019: 0-5 (Ls @ NO, vs GB, vs MIN, @ NE, vs BUF)

2020: 0-3 (Ls @ LAR, @ SEA, vs CLE)

2021: 1-5 (W @ NE, Ls @ TB, @ KC, vs LV, vs ARI, vs SF*)

*playoff games

So… uh, yeah, it hasn’t exactly been great recently. And I guess Slam’s 2-15 figure was actually right not counting playoff games. But let’s add some nuance.

2019 finally got Garrett fired, that year was just ridiculous in terms of knowing exactly what kind of Cowboys team we were getting before the end of the first quarter- we did beat the snot out of 9-win PHI and LAR teams, before losing @ PHI when it counted.

2020 gets an INC in my book- Covid year, coaching transition, abysmal defense, and y’know, the foot injury. I think it would be harsh to blame Dak for those losses, he was our whole damn offense that year until he got hurt.

2021 is the tricky one. Dak definitely played well in that Tampa game, but not so much in those next four losses. Football Outsiders scored him as the least consistent QB in the league last season. That’s the thing with Dak- just consistency. Some days he has it, like yesterday, and some days he doesn’t, like last Sunday- and the Vikings are better than the Packers, right? Unless- get this- team record isn’t actually the only way to evaluate quality…

I just think it’s an oversimplification to make it about good teams vs bad teams, but he might only have this season to dispel that narrative. Because his cap hit will *soon be* kind of untenable.

Here’s my take re: his salary and how/if he’s worth it- there’s a baseline competence required at QB to annually contend for a .500+ record and the postseason. That’s what Dak and his peers in the 7-12 QB range (maybe up to 15 but probably not- that’s when you start getting into scheme specific guys like Goff and Garoppolo) can give you. We will debate forever how much that’s worth against the cap- I just don’t think cycling between QBs on rookie or cheap veteran deals is a realistic team building strategy. Dallas is, like, 2nd to Cleveland or 3rd to them and Chicago for most starting QBs since 2000. Do we want to be *more* like those franchises than we already are?

edit: one more thing- Matt Stafford was like 1-40 or something absurd against playoff teams before getting shipped off to LAR and immediately winning the Super Bowl. I’m not saying we’re the Lions, but maybe context matters a little bit?

Well written, honestly.

My only point to add is that folks put way too much fixation upon the QB. Did the Dallas Cowboys lose, or did Dak Prescott?

Now I'm not saying he played well or wasn't a factor. But was he the only factor? In that TB game, poor guy saw Greg Z miss how many kicks he put them in position for? In the 2019 Vikes game, although I watched from a hospital bed (still can't believe @DaBoysthought I was dead, haha), I remember that defense letting the team down over, and over, and over. I remember Dak to Amari being golden, torching defenses for YAC...and then the line, and Zeke, unable to punch it in and an aged Witten unable to get his hands up in time for a shoulda been goal line game sealer. 

Was Dak a factor in those losses? YES! But the entire team was not helping. The squad was on a major rebuild right under our noses for 2-3 seasons, and it's starting to finally show it's fruit now. The D has matured, the blocking is quality again, and our young OC looks every bit the part this last month of an actual experienced veteran playcaller. Dak no longer has to make 3 or 4 wow plays a drive, but can stick to 3 or 4 plays wow plays a GAME. Which is a much more successful recipe for SBs than Josh Allen leading the team in rushing and passing and throwing 45 times, or Mahomes having to run for his life 10 times a game and somehow make a miracle throw each time. Those are NOT sustainable models of success for winning a trophy(well, MVP ones, sure) especially come December and January. Running the ball, rushing the passer? That IS.

I Said it before...keep your Josh Allen and Mahomes. Love watching them. But Don't want them. Those guys will chase rings forever. And maybe Elway it at the end of a career when the GMs get em the right pieces. No, no, give me Dak and this D and Pollard and Zeke and this OL every game of the season over that flashy MVP QB. Cause this is what wins the big one. I would love a DCowboy player win an MVP...but I only really care if the TEAM wins a ring. Then screw the MVP race.

• Like 1