Zach Wilson

biggie.

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

Teams are so desperate to miss out on the “next Mahomes” that any guy with a big arm who can make cool “off platform throws” is getting over-drafted 

Without them understanding the fact that 

1. When Mahomes started he had Hill/Kelce/Watkins to lean on who were pretty much open every play in 2018

2. Mahomes actually learned how to read defenses and became an incredibly smart between the ears QB in year 2 and got even better in year 3 in that regards which is why he's not just a flash in the pan who caught everyone off guard once. 

So many people see "oh he can make flash throws off balance" and think he's going to be a stud. That's just a very large benefit and luxury. You need to have the base down. If you lack pocket presence and can't read a defense, all the crazy throws in the world don't mean ****. You don't win a game because you can do that. You win because you did the right thing most of the time and then maybe made something out of nothing on a handful of plays you really needed that should have been dead. You'll never get to that point if you aren't reading defenses well most of the game and keeping things on the level

• Like 2

I’m not sticking a fork in him just yet, but the two games vs NE this year reminded me a lot of the “seeing ghosts” game from Darnold. Getting similar vibes where you’re looking at someone with talent that isn’t putting it together on the field. 

Wilson's failure was instantly predictable. He hit every single "do not draft" profile. One year wonder, archaic offense, talent level so far above the competition that mistakes became successes. His entire film is bad process, good result, which should terrify every and any evaluator, he showcased no real NFL ability other than physical skillset which, sorry, everybody in the NFL is also big strong and fast. 

He had the exact same issues under pressure in college, but since he was only pressured so few times in college everybody dismissed it, but that was always going to backfire. Wilson's never demonstrated that he's capable of functioning *within* an offense, he only works off-script which would be one thing if he didn't also need to be off-script while also facing absolutely no pressure or tertiary pressure at all. Couple that with his horrendous work ethic, total inability to take accountability throughout college and into the pros, penchant for mistakes, and not showing a single solitary inkling of improvement in any area and you have a recipe for an all time catastrophic bust like he's shaping up to be.

There's absolutely nothing he does well at the NFL level, it was a joke to take him 2nd overall then and it only looks so much worse in hindsight. The only actual question of his career now is not even about him, he's done, cooked, don't need to think about him anymore. The actual question is will Joe Douglas have the stones to admit his mistake and cut bait, because there's no upside to hanging on to an already spent asset that only provides you negative equity. You either move forward with a different QB or you compound the mistake by sticking with him.

Even if Fields never amounts to much, and given where he is, the chaotic nature of his situation, the lack of talent all that, very well could, the Jets will look back at taking Wilson over him with regret for a long time, because there's absolutely no way that he's not a better quarterback right now and honestly potentially MARKEDLY better than he is as a Bear in a real NFL offense with real NFL players. That's not even getting into Jared Goff basically nuking their franchises entire future winning a meaningless game against a hapless replacement level QB who was traded not 7 weeks later. Everything about him is pure NY Jets incompetence all the way down. And the only sign to me that they might be trying to be a new organization, to actually change the culture, is to cut bait on the mistake and move forward.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He had the exact same issues under pressure in college, but since he was only pressured so few times in college everybody dismissed it, but that was always going to backfire. Wilson's never demonstrated that he's capable of functioning *within* an offense, he only works off-script which would be one thing if he didn't also need to be off-script while also facing absolutely no pressure or tertiary pressure at all. Couple that with his horrendous work ethic, total inability to take accountability throughout college and into the pros, penchant for mistakes, and not showing a single solitary inkling of improvement in any area and you have a recipe for an all time catastrophic bust like he's shaping up to be.

He’s shaping up to be exactly what Josh Rosen would have been had the Cardinals stuck with him after Y1. They both check the exact same boxes (Wilson maybe has the better physical skills, Rosen was the more “pro ready” of the two).

47 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Somewhere in there you need some sort of actual production in a normal environment. Outside of the pandemic season, Wilson was a largely forgettable college QB.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been drafted, just that he shouldn’t have been the #2 pick in the draft. 

That’s completely fair, but unfortunately that’s where guys with those attributes get drafted.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

That’s completely fair, but unfortunately that’s where guys with those attributes get drafted.

Tbh the difference is Mahomes had 3 years of consistent tape and improvement and that he wasn't just all tools, while none of these all tools "**** it I'll do it live" guys have worked out even remotely.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He’s shaping up to be exactly what Josh Rosen would have been had the Cardinals stuck with him after Y1. They both check the exact same boxes (Wilson maybe has the better physical skills, Rosen was the more “pro ready” of the two).

Rosen at least while never improving in college ran a real offense with real competition, you can see the throughline, Wilson ran a mickey mouse offense against accountants in a year where half the players didn't play and there was nobody in the stands, and even THEN he never actually looked all that impressive! 

I never saw it, I'll never understand it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Name me the last one with THIS bad of a college resume. Darnold had some solid moments at USC, Mayfield was a beast at Oklahoma - heck, Rosen made UCLA pretty relevant.

I guess it would be Josh Allen? Who ultimately was the 3rd QB taken?

2 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

So it begins. That “No” comment may have been the nail in the coffin for him in that locker room.

I don't know how you say no to that question lol 

As a QB, that should be default programming

• Like 4