Broncos waive RB Melvin Gordon III; signed by Chiefs to practice squad

MikeT14

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Edmonds already got injured...so did Mike Boone...so did Javonte Williams. They are going to be playing Murray/Mack who they brought in off the street. Reminds me of the Ravens RB room a year or two ago.

Either way this was long overdue. Felt like Gordon fumbled 1 out of every 10-15 touches for 3 years.

More like 1 out of every 5.

He makes Tatum Bell look like he has ball security 

https://www.totalprosports.com/general/broncos-fan-melvin-gordon-fumble-video/

Edited by BullsandBroncos

13 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

More like 1 out of every 5.

He makes Tatum Bell look like he has ball security 

https://www.totalprosports.com/general/broncos-fan-melvin-gordon-fumble-video/

Dont you dare disrespect the greatest Madden RB of all time like that

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How did the Broncos benefit from releasing him at this point in the season though?

By not having the ball hit the ground once per game and he is borderline washed as a runner regardless. We're not talking about prime Tiki Barber fumble issues here and Latavius Murray who quit his job at Subway to come play has looked better than Gordon

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How did the Broncos benefit from releasing him at this point in the season though?

A guy who fumbles that much is a complete liability, and Gordon has no ST experience to speak of - so he brings negative equity to the team, that roster spot is virtually worthless right now.

Freeing it up to bring in a swing OL or a DB who can play gunner would be a better use of that roster spot.

Just now, ET80 said:

A guy who fumbles that much is a complete liability, and Gordon has no ST experience to speak of - so he brings negative equity to the team, that roster spot is virtually worthless right now.

Freeing it up to bring in a swing OL or a DB who can play gunner would be a better use of that roster spot.

They have almost zero RB depth behind Murray, he had 5 fumbles on 115 touches and has never been that terrible with ball security during his time in Denver.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

…he had 5 fumbles on 115 touches and has never been that terrible with ball security during his time in Denver.

5 fumbles in a half season is a LOT. No doubt they’ve talked to him, studied his film, given him tips on how to correct it - and it’s not working. So something has to give: Either he’s declining at a rapid rate and this is a symptom of that decline, or he’s not taking the issue seriously enough and not working to improve it (which is worse). Either way, something has to give.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They have almost zero RB depth behind Murray

I’d argue Gordon wouldn’t really be good depth behind Murray. You can find cheaper, more consistent depth on someone’s PS at this point.

Gordon is only a discussion point because he scored a bunch of fantasy points and the common fan can correlate this to good performances. Truth be told, he’s always been a tad overrated.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’d argue Gordon wouldn’t really be good depth behind Murray. You can find cheaper, more consistent depth on someone’s PS at this point.

Gordon is only a discussion point because he scored a bunch of fantasy points and the common fan can correlate this to good performances. Truth be told, he’s always been a tad overrated.

He has put up 1,000+ yards and 10+ touchdowns in 5 of the last 6 seasons with the only exception being 2019 where he had 900 yards/9 TD. He has been one of the most productive RB's in the league over the course of his career. They were upset he fumbled against us but they regained possession of the ball. I agree that he's not a world beater by any stretch but he's still worth a roster spot, imo.

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He has put up 1,000+ yards and 10+ touchdowns in 5 of the last 6 seasons with the only exception being 2019 where he had 900 yards/9 TD.

It’s not 5 of the last 6 seasons, though. It’s right now, and he’s nowhere near those figures. Physical decline is a real thing, and it happens REALLY quickly. He’s averaging 3.5 YPC right now, too - you’re acting like he’s the same player he was 5 of the last 6 seasons; If you stop relying on stats and actually watch him trying to play… you’ll see that guy you are talking about is gone.

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He has been one of the most productive RB's in the league over the course of his career.

But RB is a position that quickly declines and is easily/cheaply replaceable. What he did last 2/3/4/5 years has zero bearing on what he’s doing this year.

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They were upset he fumbled against us but they regained possession of the ball. I agree that he's not a world beater by any stretch but he's still worth a roster spot, imo.

Why? He’s proven to be a liability this year, which is all that matters - THIS year. This is not a loyalty based profession, this is a results based profession; If you’re not producing, nobody needs you.

What has he done THIS season to warrant a roster spot? I don’t care about last season (or any seasons before that) because last season is done.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Why? He’s proven to be a liability this year, which is all that matters - THIS year. This is not a loyalty based profession, this is a results based profession; If you’re not producing, nobody needs you.

What has he done THIS season to warrant a roster spot? I don’t care about last season (or any seasons before that) because last season is done.

He has literally been more efficient than Murray in basically every metric as both a runner and a receiver. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He has literally been more efficient than Murray in basically every metric as both a runner and a receiver. 

How long has Murray been there? Like, three weeks? No Training Camp, no OTAs, no practices and they’re pretty close in efficiency metrics? Well, I hope so - he’s only been working with this team for the duration of the offseason as well as the entire year to date. Gordon knows the playbook, knows the nuances of the team around him - Murray doesn’t and is still performing at a similar level.

No football player just walks in off the street, digests a playbook and immediately meshes with their side of the ball, y’know.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

How long has Murray been there? Like, three weeks? No Training Camp, no OTAs, no practices and they’re pretty close in efficiency metrics? Well, I hope so - he’s only been working with this team for the duration of the offseason as well as the entire year to date. Gordon knows the playbook, knows the nuances of the team around him - Murray doesn’t and is still performing at a similar level.

No football player just walks in off the street, digests a playbook and immediately meshes with their side of the ball, y’know.

I don't think any RB would thrive in that system/offense to be honest. At this point of the season I still personally just don't see the value in releasing Gordon especially considering Murray's durability issues and the fact that they've already lost two RBs to injury this year.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I don't think any RB would thrive in that system/offense to be honest.

Fair.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

At this point of the season I still personally just don't see the value in releasing Gordon especially considering Murray's durability issues and the fact that they've already lost two RBs to injury this year.

Denver is probably waving the white flag at this point - give younger bodies a chance, start phasing out people who were not going to be a part of the 2023 team. Gordon was definitely on the outside looking in next year, and his performance didn’t warrant sticking around - give his roster spot to a PS guy or someone you need to evaluate, get a head start on that self scouting.

21 hours ago, biggie. said:
21 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Same. I can’t wrap my head around a rb that ran for 2600 yards and 30 td in a season getting drafted at all. 

Wisconsin prides themselves in being an o-line factory.

Best RB prospect we have had ever except Taylor. Melvin was not a normal Wisconsin RB.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1