Random mock drafts

Louis Friend

53 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Tyree Wilson is not worth the #6 pick for me. Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Jalen Carter, Will Anderson, Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez are the top 6 guys in this draft. To stay at #6 and draft someone else is a waste of value. If you are enamored with Wilson, move down. Yes, he has long arms. Doesn't make him a can't miss prospect. 

Kancey is not a first round pick for me. I've stated this multiple times. I know people are looking for another DT after Carter but there isn't the value in the first round at that position after Carter. Kancey is undersized and despite playing for Pitt, He's not Aaron Donald. He's a day two guys. 

Jahmyr Gibbs is a good RB but there is better value at #48 than him. 

Sanders is a blah pick for me. Don't hate it, don't love it. Considering what else he's done with the mock, could have gotten a better player to make up the difference. 

Shoonmaker is a day 3 talent. I don't care that he's from Michigan. I hate reaching for guys. It's a pet peeve. People want the Lions to draft a TE so badly and yet they take a day 3 guys when there will literally be 20 guys better than him in the first two days. 

If this is how the draft plays out, I will be HIGHLY disappointed. He did not HIT on any pick. Not one. I understand sometimes you whiff, but you can't have an entire draft of whiffs. 

How would you compare Tyree Wilson to Ezekiel Ansah when he came out? Same, better, worse? Just curious as Ansah was taken 5th iirc and he was a project as well.

6 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

How would you compare Tyree Wilson to Ezekiel Ansah when he came out? Same, better, worse? Just curious as Ansah was taken 5th iirc and he was a project as well.

I loathed the Ansah pick. I was dead set against it. He was raw as hell and barely played football. He should have NOT been a first round pick let alone top 5. Tyree Wilson is a much better player coming out of college. He knows the game and has gotten better every year. But his biggest flaw IMO is his reaction time. He doesn't have a natural feel for the game. He processes things slowly. Thats not something you can teach. Either you have it or you don't and he doesn't. He'll make a suitable situational pass rusher, but he's not stud EDGE like Will Anderson, Aidan Hutchinson, The Bosas, or the like. I'd have no problem taking him at #18, but he's not the guy at #6. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I loathed the Ansah pick. I was dead set against it. He was raw as hell and barely played football. He should have NOT been a first round pick let alone top 5. Tyree Wilson is a much better player coming out of college. He knows the game and has gotten better every year. But his biggest flaw IMO is his reaction time. He doesn't have a natural feel for the game. He processes things slowly. Thats not something you can teach. Either you have it or you don't and he doesn't. He'll make a suitable situational pass rusher, but he's not stud EDGE like Will Anderson, Aidan Hutchinson, The Bosas, or the like. I'd have no problem taking him at #18, but he's not the guy at #6. 

I think this is a very fair assessment.

23 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Tyree Wilson is not worth the #6 pick for me. Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Jalen Carter, Will Anderson, Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez are the top 6 guys in this draft. To stay at #6 and draft someone else is a waste of value. If you are enamored with Wilson, move down. Yes, he has long arms. Doesn't make him a can't miss prospect. 

Kancey is not a first round pick for me. I've stated this multiple times. I know people are looking for another DT after Carter but there isn't the value in the first round at that position after Carter. Kancey is undersized and despite playing for Pitt, He's not Aaron Donald. He's a day two guys. 

Sanders is a blah pick for me. Don't hate it, don't love it. Considering what else he's done with the mock, could have gotten a better player to make up the difference. 

Shoonmaker is a day 3 talent. I don't care that he's from Michigan. I hate reaching for guys. It's a pet peeve. People want the Lions to draft a TE so badly and yet they take a day 3 guys when there will literally be 20 guys better than him in the first two days. 

If this is how the draft plays out, I will be HIGHLY disappointed. He did not HIT on any pick. Not one. I understand sometimes you whiff, but you can't have an entire draft of whiffs. 

Interesting perspective.

I like Wilson and Kancey - both have solid pressure rates in the draft class (both were near the tops). Wilson's athleticism and elite physical traits do help him in being productive at the next level. None of these guys are can't miss - they all have flaws. 

• Young - Size
  • Stroud - Plays outside of the pocket
  • Andreson - First step quickness
  • Witherspoon - One year of production, play style could lead to injury due to size
  • Gonzalez - Not as instinctual/playmaking as you would expect given his athletic traits

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

all straight your opinion. you forgot to include facts, stats, examples to back up your opinon...

6. Jalen Carter DT Georgia-BPA, biggest need on the roster, no brainer.

18. Nolan Smith EDGE Georgia- Love the idea of pairing up Carter and Smith again. Doesn't get alot of sacks, but gets a lot of pressure and the highest stop % among edge rushers in the draft. 

48. Jack Campbell LB Iowa- Top all around linebacker. Great in coverage, what we desperately need. 

55. Julius Brents CB Kansas State- Big corner who would learn well with Sutton and CJGJ. 

81. Luke Wypler OC Ohio State- Very athletic center who I think could end up playing all 3 interior OL positions. 

152. Andrew Vorhees OG USC- Big G who lots of upside. Got injured at the combine but sitting behind Jonah, Vaitai, and Glasgow for a year wouldn't hurt him to recover. 

159. Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green- One of my favorites in the draft. Love his value. He and Carter inside would be dynamic. 

183. Ronnie Bell WR Michigan- Lions have reportedly met with Bell quite a bit. Had a nice comeback season for the Wolverines after the knee injury in 2022. Can play outside or in the slot. Could replace Cephus/Kennedy on the end of the WR depth chart.

194. Jake Moody K Michigan- Best leg in the draft. Not a bad use of the 9th pick used by the Lions. 

***Lions sign Teddy Bridgewater after the draft***

2023 Detroit Lions roster:

Roster:

QB- Jared Goff/Teddy Bridgewater/Nate Sudfeld

RB- David Montgomery/D'Andre Swift/Craig Reynolds

WR- Marvin Jones Jr/Josh Reynolds

LT- Taylor Decker/Matt Nelson

LG- Jonah Jackson/Andrew Vorhees

OC- Frank Ragnow/Luke Wypler

RG- Halapoulivaati Vaitai/Graham Glasgow

RT- Penei Sewell/Matt Nelson

TE- Brock Wright/James Mitchell/Shane Zylstra

SLOT- Amon-Ra St. Brown/Ronnie Bell

WR- Jameson Williams/Ronnie Bell/Kalif Raymond

DE- Nolan Smith/James Houston/Charles Harris

DT- Alim McNeill/Isaiah Buggs

DT- Jalen Carter/Karl Brooks/Josh Paschal

DE- Aidan Hutchinson/John Cominsky/Romeo Okwara

LB- Malcolm Rodriguez/Derrick Barnes or Julian Okwara

LB- Alex Anzalone/Jack Campbell/Jalen Reeves-Maybin

NB- C.J. Gardner-Johnson/Will Harris

CB- Jerry Jacobs/Emmanuel Moseley

S- Tracy Walker/C.J. Gardner-Johnson

S- Kerby Joseph/C.J. Moore

CB- Cam Sutton/Julius Brents

K- Jake Moody

P- Jack Fox

LS- Jake McQuaide

Cut:

WR Quintez Cephus

CB Chase Lucas

DT Benito Jones

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

6. Jalen Carter DT Georgia-BPA, biggest need on the roster, no brainer.

18. Nolan Smith EDGE Georgia- Love the idea of pairing up Carter and Smith again. Doesn't get alot of sacks, but gets a lot of pressure and the highest stop % among edge rushers in the draft. 

48. Jack Campbell LB Iowa- Top all around linebacker. Great in coverage, what we desperately need. 

55. Julius Brents CB Kansas State- Big corner who would learn well with Sutton and CJGJ. 

81. Luke Wypler OC Ohio State- Very athletic center who I think could end up playing all 3 interior OL positions. 

152. Andrew Vorhees OG USC- Big G who lots of upside. Got injured at the combine but sitting behind Jonah, Vaitai, and Glasgow for a year wouldn't hurt him to recover. 

159. Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green- One of my favorites in the draft. Love his value. He and Carter inside would be dynamic. 

183. Ronnie Bell WR Michigan- Lions have reportedly met with Bell quite a bit. Had a nice comeback season for the Wolverines after the knee injury in 2022. Can play outside or in the slot. Could replace Cephus/Kennedy on the end of the WR depth chart.

194. Jake Moody K Michigan- Best leg in the draft. Not a bad use of the 9th pick used by the Lions. 

***Lions sign Teddy Bridgewater after the draft***

Roster:

QB- Jared Goff/Teddy Bridgewater/Nate Sudfeld

RB- David Montgomery/D'Andre Swift/Craig Reynolds

WR- Marvin Jones Jr/Josh Reynolds

LT- Taylor Decker/Matt Nelson

LG- Jonah Jackson/Andrew Vorhees

OC- Frank Ragnow/Luke Wypler

RG- Halapoulivaati Vaitai/Graham Glasgow

RT- Penei Sewell/Matt Nelson

TE- Brock Wright/James Mitchell/Shane Zylstra

SLOT- Amon-Ra St. Brown/Ronnie Bell

WR- Jameson Williams/Ronnie Bell/Kalif Raymond

DE- Nolan Smith/James Houston/Charles Harris

DT- Alim McNeill/Isaiah Buggs

DT- Jalen Carter/Karl Brooks/Josh Paschal

DE- Aidan Hutchinson/John Cominsky/Romeo Okwara

LB- Malcolm Rodriguez/Derrick Barnes or Julian Okwara

LB- Alex Anzalone/Jack Campbell/Jalen Reeves-Maybin

NB- C.J. Gardner-Johnson/Will Harris

CB- Jerry Jacobs/Emmanuel Moseley

S- Tracy Walker/C.J. Gardner-Johnson

S- Kerby Joseph/C.J. Moore

CB- Cam Sutton/Julius Brents

K- Jake Moody

P- Jack Fox

LS- Jake McQuaide

Cut:

WR Quintez Cephus

CB Chase Lucas

DT Benito Jones

Hold on... You say Kancey is undersized then advocate drafting a guy that's 238lbs to play DE? Nolan Smith is NOT a 4-3 end. 

And I'm not saying I don't like him... I'd be fine with him but he'd be playing LB in Detroit not DE.

You already lost me at drafting the most overrated player in this draft at 6 but playing a sub 240lb guy at DE is just... No. 

Maybe I could see rotating to end on obvious passing downs but playing him as a full time end in a 4-3 is no bueno.

9 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Hold on... You say Kancey is undersized then advocate drafting a guy that's 238lbs to play DE? Nolan Smith is NOT a 4-3 end. 

And I'm not saying I don't like him... I'd be fine with him but he'd be playing LB in Detroit not DE.

You already lost me at drafting the most overrated player in this draft at 6 but playing a sub 240lb guy at DE is just... No. 

Maybe I could see rotating to end on obvious passing downs but playing him as a full time end in a 4-3 is no bueno.

Who said anything about full time? 

9 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

In fairness, Smith could play ILB (with a 72.7 Coverage grade) and then be used as an edge rusher on passing downs. Drew Sanders only really has 1 year of experience at ILB and otherwise is similar to Smith. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Who said anything about full time? 

Well you have him listed at DE on the depth chart which makes it seem like you intend him to play there as the full time starter. He should be listed at LB and just occasionally line up at end on passing downs.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

In fairness, Smith could play ILB (with a 72.7 Coverage grade) and then be used as an edge rusher on passing downs. Drew Sanders only really has 1 year of experience at ILB and otherwise is similar to Smith. 

That's what I said, lol. And I'd be fine with that. 

6. Jalen Carter DT Georgia

18. Bijan Robinson RB Texas

48. O'Cyrus Torrence OG Florida

55. Julius Brents CB Kansas State

81. Jonathan Mingo WR Ole Miss

152. SirVocea Dennis LB Pittsburgh

159. Luke Schoonmaker TE Michigan

183. Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green

194. Jake Moody K Michigan

*** Lions sign QB Teddy Bridgewater after draft***

Roster: