Random mock drafts

Louis Friend

16 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I think we're taking Carter at 6

He also talked about how players aren’t lazy for taking “plays off” if they are being coached that way. I don’t know that we will take him, but I don’t think he’s off the board. 

Tayne's opus? 🤔:

**Traded away '24 Minnesota's 3rd, '24 Detroit 7th**

• DET
    Christian Gonzalez
    CB Oregon
    trade icon
  • DET
    Lukas Van Ness
    EDGE Iowa
    trade icon
  • DET
    Nolan Smith
    LB/EDGE/PR Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Darnell Wright
    OT/OG Tennessee
    trade icon
  • DET
    Emmanuel Forbes
    CB Mississippi State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Keeanu Benton
    DT Wisconsin

• DET
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • DET
    Mohamoud Diabate
    LB Utah
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jaren Hall
    QB BYU
    trade icon
  • DET
    Juice Scruggs
    OC Penn State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jake Moody
    K Michigan
    trade icon

16 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

He also talked about how players aren’t lazy for taking “plays off” if they are being coached that way. I don’t know that we will take him, but I don’t think he’s off the board. 

I didn't quite get that part, why coaches would coach a player to take plays off, but maybe it has to do with conserving energy? 

7 hours ago, General Tso said:

Man, most of the guys I like aren't "worthy" of the 6th pick or 18th pick. Darnell Washington, Emmanuel Forbes, DJ Turner.

Yeah, I've felt the same way the entire draft. I don't like the top end of this draft at all. I don't see much of a difference between the top of the first and the mid-first compared to what other years have offered. I really hope we trade back for next year. I do see us able to get really good prospects and deepening our talent level, but I just don't see that elite level player.

And I know I'm going to be in the minority on this, but if we stand pat I almost like taking someone like Paris Johnson at 6 after what we have done in FA. I think it benefits the team more over the next 5 years while immediately upgrading the line by putting him at G. Make the strength of your team elite instead of great. Then go on from there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, I've felt the same way the entire draft. I don't like the top end of this draft at all. I don't see much of a difference between the top of the first and the mid-first compared to what other years have offered. I really hope we trade back for next year. I do see us able to get really good prospects and deepening our talent level, but I just don't see that elite level player.

And I know I'm going to be in the minority on this, but if we stand pat I almost like taking someone like Paris Johnson at 6 after what we have done in FA. I think it benefits the team more over the next 5 years while immediately upgrading the line by putting him at G. Make the strength of your team elite instead of great. Then go on from there.

I like Johnson after a small trade down best.

• DET
    Devon Witherspoon
    CB Illinois
    trade icon
  • DET
    Broderick Jones
    OT/OG Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Lukas Van Ness
    EDGE Iowa
    trade icon
  • DET
    Nolan Smith
    LB/EDGE Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Calijah Kancey
    DT Pittsburgh

• DET
    Michael Mayer
    TE Notre Dame
    trade icon
  • DET
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jake Moody
    K Michigan
    trade icon

Heard this thought on the radio.

What if top 3 is Stroud, Young, Richardson?

Would you consider trading with Indy to get Will Anderson? Maybe they don't like Levis or maybe you can convince them he'll be there at 6?

According to one draft value chart, would only require a 3rd, but even the low 2nd, would you do it?

8 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Would you consider trading with Indy to get Will Anderson? Maybe they don't like Levis or maybe you can convince them he'll be there at 6?

According to one draft value chart, would only require a 3rd, but even the low 2nd, would you do it?

Typically I'd say no, but if it was a swap and a third I'd be tempted. I wouldn't be upset, but I'd probably have to process it for a while as I think there is going to be good talent there in the third. And with what Holmes has done in the third, I wouldn't want to sleep on him pulling more magic out his a$$ there either.

23 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Could this be the trade that sends Okudah out? 6, Okudah, '24 3rd for 4? 🤔

If the Lions are able to stay put and pull this off, though....

**Traded away '24 1st in this one, '24 3rd from MIN**

• DET
    Will Anderson Jr.
    EDGE Alabama

• DET
    Devon Witherspoon 
    CB Illinois 
    trade icon
  • DET
    Darnell Wright
    OT/OG Tennessee
    trade icon
  • DET
    Nolan Smith
    LB/EDGE/PR Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Calijah Kancey
    DT Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • DET
    Antonio Johnson
    S Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • DET
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • DET
    Tanner McKee
    QB Stanford
    trade icon
  • DET
    Parker Washington
    WR Penn State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Ronnie Bell
    WR Michigan

• DET
    Jake Moody
    K Michigan
    trade icon
Edited by NudeTayne

TRADE

Detroit trades #6 to Tennessee for #11, Jeffrey Simmons and 2024 R4

Titans trade up to grab one of the QB's (AR or Levis) while the Lions address one of our biggest issues, IDL, with a proven player that's still young. However, we're going to need to sign him to a long-term contract which is why we're getting value back in the 11th overall pick

• #11 Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon: Despite all of the additions we've already made to the secondary, the Lions can still bolster the group with the big and athletic Gonzalez. Moseley is only on a 1 year deal and he may not be able to beat out CG, so it's not a lock that he's in line for a starting job. Jeff Okudah is probably out the door sooner rather than later. I would have looked at DL with this pick but we've already addressed that with the trade and CG was BPA. 
  • #18 Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas: This is a bit of a luxury pick. However, it feels like the Lions can do it without a ton of risk. We're a run focused team with an outstanding OL. Bijan is the best RB prospect since Saquon. We've also got David Montgomery on a 3 year deal. Instead of focusing on volume of carries, we should expect effective and explosiveness as both guy can stay fresh. D'Andre Swift is likely not going to be a Lion next year but he can be utilized as the 3rd down/COP back while he's still under contract. This will take off a ton of pressure on Jared Goff and we'll be able to control the clock while having dynamic weapons on the roster. 

TRADE

Detroit trades #152 (5th) and 2024 3rd (MIN) to New England for Mac Jones, QB

The Lions do not have a long term option at QB or a viable back up. Jones and the Patriots coaching staff have seemed to have a falling out since they decided to hire Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum to be his co-OC's (because that was going to work). The Lions would have Jones under contract for all of 2023 and 2024 while also having a 5th year option available (decision would have to be made by May 2024). Jared Goff is going to be a UFA in 2025 without a contract extension, so this would give the team flexibility in how they want to move forward at the QB position. 

#48 Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa: He's probably not going to be here but a lot of the criticism is that he's an old school LB and there are questions about his lateral ability. We'll take him here in a heartbeat. 

#55 Cody Mauch, OG/OT, North Dakota State: A versatile piece on the line, this gap toothed monster has been more athletic than originally billed/expected, even as a converted TE. He'll get a chance to compete at RG but can fill in at LG, RG and RT. He'll be given opportunities playing inline as a 6th OL and we may even get a chance to see his TE skills put to the test with Ben Johnson running the show

#81 Michael Wilson, WR, Stanford: A big body dude with a solid initial burst (1.50 10YS) and good movement skills (6.81 3C, 4.17 SS), he offers something that the Lions don't have a lot of - size. He'll be given a chance to compete for WR4. 

#183 Desjuan Johnson, DE/DT, Toledo: Johnson is a versatile piece that can play inside or out with his size. He's met with the Lions so this feels like he could be a surprise pick that adds some depth.

#194 Josh Whyle, TE, Cincinnati: Whyle is a plus blocker (76.0 PBLL; 69.5 RBLK) with some decent athleticism for the position. He's a bit lacking in size (248 lbs) but probably can afford to put on some weight. 

*Not  a deep or thorough depth chart

Trade; Free Agency; Draft

• QB - Goff, Jones
  • RB - Robinson, Montgomery, Swift
  • LWR - M. Jones, Wilson, Reynolds
  • SWR - ARSB, Raymond
  • RWR - Williams
  • TE - Mitchell, Wright, Whyle
  • LT - Decker
  • LG - Jackson, Mauch
  • OC - Ragnow
  • RG - Vaitai, Glasgow
  • RT - Sewell

The offense gets shored up with a dynamic weapon in Robinson and capable backups/future starters in Jones and Mauch. With Ben Johnson as OC, we should see this offense take another step forward as one of the best in the league. 

• DE - Hutchinson, Harris, R Okwara
  • DT - Simmons
  • DT - McNeill, Buggs
  • DE - Paschal, Cominsky, Johnson
  • MLB - Anzalone, Campbell, Barnes
  • WLB - Rodriguez, Reeves-Maybin
  • SLB - Houston, J Okwara
  • CB - Gonzalez, Moseley
  • SCB - Gardner-Johnson, Okudah, Lucas
  • CB - Sutton, Jacobs
  • SS - Joseph
  • FS - Walker

This defense has had a major overhaul, especially in the secondary. Free Agency addressed so many of the issues and it allowed Holmes to go BPA instead of being forced to try and find a fit. Utilizing the #6 pick to add Simmons AND Gonzalez is a huge get. Campbell is a future star and could take over MLB duties for AA by the end of the season. 

17 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

TRADE

Titans trade up to grab one of the QB's (AR or Levis) while the Lions address one of our biggest issues, IDL, with a proven player that's still young. However, we're going to need to sign him to a long-term contract which is why we're getting value back in the 11th overall pick

• #11 Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon: Despite all of the additions we've already made to the secondary, the Lions can still bolster the group with the big and athletic Gonzalez. Moseley is only on a 1 year deal and he may not be able to beat out CG, so it's not a lock that he's in line for a starting job. Jeff Okudah is probably out the door sooner rather than later. I would have looked at DL with this pick but we've already addressed that with the trade and CG was BPA. 
  • #18 Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas: This is a bit of a luxury pick. However, it feels like the Lions can do it without a ton of risk. We're a run focused team with an outstanding OL. Bijan is the best RB prospect since Saquon. We've also got David Montgomery on a 3 year deal. Instead of focusing on volume of carries, we should expect effective and explosiveness as both guy can stay fresh. D'Andre Swift is likely not going to be a Lion next year but he can be utilized as the 3rd down/COP back while he's still under contract. This will take off a ton of pressure on Jared Goff and we'll be able to control the clock while having dynamic weapons on the roster. 

TRADE

The Lions do not have a long term option at QB or a viable back up. Jones and the Patriots coaching staff have seemed to have a falling out since they decided to hire Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum to be his co-OC's (because that was going to work). The Lions would have Jones under contract for all of 2023 and 2024 while also having a 5th year option available (decision would have to be made by May 2024). Jared Goff is going to be a UFA in 2025 without a contract extension, so this would give the team flexibility in how they want to move forward at the QB position. 

#48 Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa: He's probably not going to be here but a lot of the criticism is that he's an old school LB and there are questions about his lateral ability. We'll take him here in a heartbeat. 

#55 Cody Mauch, OG/OT, North Dakota State: A versatile piece on the line, this gap toothed monster has been more athletic than originally billed/expected, even as a converted TE. He'll get a chance to compete at RG but can fill in at LG, RG and RT. He'll be given opportunities playing inline as a 6th OL and we may even get a chance to see his TE skills put to the test with Ben Johnson running the show

#81 Michael Wilson, WR, Stanford: A big body dude with a solid initial burst (1.50 10YS) and good movement skills (6.81 3C, 4.17 SS), he offers something that the Lions don't have a lot of - size. He'll be given a chance to compete for WR4. 

#183 Desjuan Johnson, DE/DT, Toledo: Johnson is a versatile piece that can play inside or out with his size. He's met with the Lions so this feels like he could be a surprise pick that adds some depth.

#194 Josh Whyle, TE, Cincinnati: Whyle is a plus blocker (76.0 PBLL; 69.5 RBLK) with some decent athleticism for the position. He's a bit lacking in size (248 lbs) but probably can afford to put on some weight. 

• QB - Goff, Jones
  • SWR - ARSB, Raymond
  • RWR - Williams
  • LT - Decker
  • LG - Jackson, Mauch
  • OC - Ragnow
  • RG - Vaitai, Glasgow
  • RT - Sewell

The offense gets shored up with a dynamic weapon in Robinson and capable backups/future starters in Jones and Mauch. With Ben Johnson as OC, we should see this offense take another step forward as one of the best in the league. 

• DT - Simmons
  • DT - McNeill, Buggs
  • CB - Gonzalez, Moseley
  • CB - Sutton, Jacobs
  • SS - Joseph
  • FS - Walker

This defense has had a major overhaul, especially in the secondary. Free Agency addressed so many of the issues and it allowed Holmes to go BPA instead of being forced to try and find a fit. Utilizing the #6 pick to add Simmons AND Gonzalez is a huge get. Campbell is a future star and could take over MLB duties for AA by the end of the season. 

Even if Jones is out in New England they aren't able to trade their starting QB for a bag of peanuts... And even if they would we sure as hell shouldn't do it... He isn't even worth a bag of peanuts to begin with... Maybe a pack of tic tacs at best.... No... Not even that...a single tic tac... He's worth a single tic tac. 

Also highly doubt Tennessee would do that but if they would I'd certainly be happy about it.

8 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

TRADE

TRADE

• QB - Goff, Jones
  • SWR - ARSB, Raymond
  • RWR - Williams
  • LT - Decker
  • LG - Jackson, Mauch
  • OC - Ragnow
  • RG - Vaitai, Glasgow
  • RT - Sewell

• DT - Simmons
  • DT - McNeill, Buggs
  • CB - Gonzalez, Moseley
  • CB - Sutton, Jacobs
  • SS - Joseph
  • FS - Walker

Simmons resigned, so there goes that pipe dream.