Random mock drafts

Louis Friend

55 minutes ago, Raves said:

As a Saints fan I love the 2nd round of this draft and on PFF Simulator I've been offering/receiving #48 and #55 for our 2024 1st round pick and #148.  Although the simulator does the trade, do you think the Lions would, or would you guys accept that?

No, I wouldn't. The NFC North is open for the taking and we need to add pieces to our roster in order to win the division and/or make a run at the playoffs (or into the playoffs). We can find starting caliber players in those spots for the short and long-term. Adding a pick in 2024 (cool) by trading away two 2023 2nd round picks (not cool) is kicking the can down the road into 2024. There's really no reason to do that. Now if we get a 2024 1st in a trade down from #6 or #18, then I'd take it as long as we're not giving up key/essential pieces to build the roster for this year. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Raves said:

As a Saints fan I love the 2nd round of this draft and on PFF Simulator I've been offering/receiving #48 and #55 for our 2024 1st round pick and #148.  Although the simulator does the trade, do you think the Lions would, or would you guys accept that?

I would not do that trade tbh.  We are in a spot that we need to add players to win now.  If our D improves we have a pretty dangerous team.  So moving two top 55 players this year for a pick next year doesn't make sense.  I love adding future firsts, but would rather do it in a trade down from 6 or 18 than to move two picks this year that high.  But the value feels right, just not for our situation. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would not do that trade tbh.  We are in a spot that we need to add players to win now.  If our D improves we have a pretty dangerous team.  So moving two top 55 players this year for a pick next year doesn't make sense.  I love adding future firsts, but would rather do it in a trade down from 6 or 18 than to move two picks this year that high.  But the value feels right, just not for our situation. 

So here is a scenario then.  What if the Saints don't have a player at a position of need at #29 but the Lions have someone there, would #29 for #48 and #55 be out of the question?  Sure you lose out on one additional guy that could help win now, but you get a more premium guy that you preferred?  Perhaps one of the better CBs if you went with other needs with your first 2 picks?

20 minutes ago, Raves said:

So here is a scenario then.  What if the Saints don't have a player at a position of need at #29 but the Lions have someone there, would #29 for #48 and #55 be out of the question?  Sure you lose out on one additional guy that could help win now, but you get a more premium guy that you preferred?  Perhaps one of the better CBs if you went with other needs with your first 2 picks?

The only way that trade makes sense is if a premium player at a premium position the Lions coveted dropped to 29. Really unlikely, but possible.

11 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

The only way that trade makes sense is if a premium player at a premium position the Lions coveted dropped to 29. Really unlikely, but possible.

How about someone like Deonte Banks or some other CB?  I'm mainly looking at CBs in this regards as the Saints would probably look at taking a premium DE or even OT moving Penning inside for the future and I've done several mocks where a lot of CBs or the smaller DEs like Nolan Smith, who I don't think the Saints would draft since they like their DEs in the more 4-3 traditional DE size, but no DTs OTs etc available which means reaching for a player or looking to trade down.

38 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'd be more open to 29 and 148 for 48 and 55.  Thats still a loss on the trade value chart by nearly 100 points.  29 and 114 is closer (our picks = 770, NO's is 706) and I think I would do that if we feel there is someone there we really want and want the extra year of control.     

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raves said:

How about someone like Deonte Banks or some other CB?  I'm mainly looking at CBs in this regards as the Saints would probably look at taking a premium DE or even OT moving Penning inside for the future and I've done several mocks where a lot of CBs or the smaller DEs like Nolan Smith, who I don't think the Saints would draft since they like their DEs in the more 4-3 traditional DE size, but no DTs OTs etc available which means reaching for a player or looking to trade down.

I can't say anyone specifically other than in the off chance that Richardson falls (sounds crazy but Willis did last year and Lamar Jackson did as well).  There are other DE's, LBs, CBs, S's, or even interior OL that we could target there with the extra year of control. We may even fall in love with McKee and want the extra year but not sure I would want to do that for him.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Raves said:

How about someone like Deonte Banks or some other CB?  I'm mainly looking at CBs in this regards as the Saints would probably look at taking a premium DE or even OT moving Penning inside for the future.

It’s hard to speculate without knowing the players Detroit drafted at 6 and 18. If the Lions passed on CB with those picks it’s possible. I’m not sure if the difference between Banks and the remaining corners warrants moving up for him. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

It’s hard to speculate without knowing the players Detroit drafted at 6 and 18. If the Lions passed on CB with those picks it’s possible. I’m not sure if the difference between Banks and the remaining corners warrants moving up for him. 

The only way I could see it is if something like Carter at 6, the top CBs are all gone so Broderick Jones (guard who will transition to tackle either next year or 2025) at 18 happens. Then if they love a CB or edge guy above the others at pick #29 then maybe. 

8 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd be more open to 29 and 148 for 48 and 55.  Thats still a loss on the trade value chart by nearly 100 points.  29 and 114 is closer (our picks = 770, NO's is 706) and I think I would do that if we feel there is someone there we really want and want the extra year of control.     

I'll counter that there's no reason Detroit needs to lose a trade that they are giving two high picks for. They could do 48/55 for 29/116(?) and the gap is closer than the later pick. Fwiw, the Saints still win the value by a little.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Raves said:

The only reason that I would want the Lions to consider trading up is if they did find a QB prospect that they liked who was slipping toward round 2 OR a guy that would be a Derek Carr-esque player who would be taken high in round 2 and they wanted to secure a 5th year option. If Tanner McKee has sold himself to the Lions and had a really good draft process slotting in at QB5, maybe you pull the trigger toward the bottom of round 1 to lock him in. 

It's another situation of "not what I want/would do" but it's where I can understand why Holmes might make such a move. 

• Like 2

Did a draft on Fanspeak to try some different rankings, although they were similar to PFF. But I like the result. 

6: R1 P6 CB Devon Witherspoon - Illinois

18: R1 P18 QB Anthony Richardson - Florida

48: R2 P17 EDGE Adetomiwa Adebawore - Northwestern

55: R2 P24 LB Jack Campbell - Iowa

81: R3 P18 C Steve Avila - TCU

152: R5 P17 CB Jakorian Bennett - Maryland

183: R6 P6 TE Zack Kuntz - Old Dominion

194: R6 P17 LB Aubrey Miller Jr. - Jackson State

Gets Richardson with the 5th year.  Adds a starter at CB, DE, and LB.  A potential RG/backup C to replace Brown.  And development CB and TE with insane athleticism and my favorite late round LB to develop who can cover. If we get a QB, this would be the ideal scenario.  

In free agency I would make sure we resign Cominsky and Buggs.  Add another DT like David Onyemata or Sheldon Rankins and hope maybe we can get something out of Levi finally but wouldn't count on it.  Bring back Williams at RB and Elliott at S.  Sign another CB and WR (Chark or someone cheaper like Mack Hollins/Paris Campbell/Deandre Carter) and I think we would be in a good spot to win now and set up well for the future.  

• Like 2

5 round mock . So he fell on pff, and I did it then didn't like it afterwards:

6: CJ Stroud - I know most want him to start right away, but I think I'd let him ride it out for the year, then trade Goff. I know there are good arguments the other way, but I think we can go deep in the playoffs now and that chance increases with Goff under center. This could also be the argument not to draft him... I get it.

18: Lukas Van Ness (I didn't really care for any of my options here, it was between Van Ness and Robinson). Van Ness intrigues me. I'd rather trade down in this scenario, but my earliest trade was going to be like 43. Didn't want to go down that far. Kancey was also there, but I'm not sure I like Kancey.

48: Adetomiwa Adebawore - when you have this many vowels in your name, you know you are going to be a nightmare on defense

55: Dayian Henley - Campbell went at pick 47. This is my consolation.

81: Luke Wypler - I want an IOL, and he was the highest ranked on pff's board.

153: Zack Kuntz - I like him in the later rounds.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

5 round mock . So he fell on pff, and I did it then didn't like it afterwards:

6: CJ Stroud - I know most want him to start right away, but I think I'd let him ride it out for the year, then trade Goff. I know there are good arguments the other way, but I think we can go deep in the playoffs now and that chance increases with Goff under center. This could also be the argument not to draft him... I get it.

18: Lukas Van Ness (I didn't really care for any of my options here, it was between Van Ness and Robinson). Van Ness intrigues me. I'd rather trade down in this scenario, but my earliest trade was going to be like 43. Didn't want to go down that far. Kancey was also there, but I'm not sure I like Kancey.

48: Adetomiwa Adebawore - when you have this many vowels in your name, you know you are going to be a nightmare on defense

55: Dayian Henley - Campbell went at pick 47. This is my consolation.

81: Luke Wypler - I want an IOL, and he was the highest ranked on pff's board.

153: Zack Kuntz - I like him in the later rounds.

I don't love it without finding a DB anywhere but I also don't hate it.  I'd probably grab a DB instead of Henley, just because I think Anzalone/Rodrigo/Barnes are better than what we have at CB right now.  Adding DL is always a positive IMO and you grabbed a couple with a lot of upside.  Would definitely need to hit free agency hard to fill in holes and upgrade at CB and maybe S at least until Walker recovers.  

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't love it without finding a DB anywhere but I also don't hate it.  I'd probably grab a DB instead of Henley, just because I think Anzalone/Rodrigo/Barnes are better than what we have at CB right now.  Adding DL is always a positive IMO and you grabbed a couple with a lot of upside.  Would definitely need to hit free agency hard to fill in holes and upgrade at CB and maybe S at least until Walker recovers.  

That’s pretty much how I felt about it when I was done. There were never really any dbs I liked when picking. Witherspoon (my favorite) and Gonzalez were picked at 3 and 4. That’s how stroud fell.

6. Jalen Carter DT Georgia- After today's trade and rumors the Cardinals are open to trading their pick, this is more likely than it was a couple weeks ago. Immediate beast inside next to Hutch and frees up our Ends.

18. Bijan Robinson RB Texas- I'm not a fan of taking a first round RB, but this is how my board fell and none of the trades presented were good value. This allows us to possibly trade Swift if he does not step up. I'd still resign Jamaal Williams. 

48. Cody Mauch OT North Dakota State- RG is an immediate need but Mauch is a damn good OT and could help replace Decker soon. Would love to see him with Hank Fraley.

55. Jordan Battle S Alabama- The top DB on my board here. We still need S help even though CB is an immediate need. I love the idea of a Battle/Joseph duo, if Walker recovers nicely from injury, we could be deep at a position we've lacked for years.

81. DJ Turner CB Michigan- Address CB with a damn good prospect. 

152. Zack Kuntz TE Old Dominion- No way the Lions take a TE early, but solid value late. I doubt Kuntz falls here but he was available and I snatched him up. Kuntz/Mitchell is a nice young duo. 

183. Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green- I'm so disappointed that he wasn't invited to the combine, but maybe that allows him to slide to the 6th round. Could be our interior James Houston. 

194. Jake Moody K Michigan- Best kicker in the draft, we can replace Badgley and re-sign LS Scott Daly and our ST are set for the next 5-10 years.