QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

35 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I really think they are screwed no matter what they do

Probably best move is to see how much Jimmy G costs, and draft someone that actually has a chance to develop into a high end starter.

Which is why I wanna move down and take Hooker day 2 regardless of age and injuries. He has the tools to be very good and is already mature and a terrific leader. Gives us a quality passer who is also very athletic and can add his legs to our attack. Stroud or Young would be terrific but really can't afford to now move up after absolutely blowing a #2 overall pick. It would be on thing if we got like 2 2nds for Zach but aside from that hes basically more dead weight than an asset. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. This false narrative that White gives us the best chance to win is starting to get funny almost. 

I know you look at wins and losses as the end all for a QB, but forget that for the moment.  Is MFW or Zach a better QB ATM?  MFW is what he is.  Zach certainly has more potential (ie has not done anything yet).  Would you really risk a game or a season in which we have the talent almost everywhere else to get to the playoffs just to get Mr. Potential in the game if needed?

I agree that neither QB is the answer but if we need a backup to whomever is the starter next year, I do not want Zach.  Maybe in 2024.  Therefore, I'd rather White assuming he takes backup $.  As I said earlier, I'd prefer a better backup.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

They would be worth he cost to go deep in the playoffs. Brady is a FA so it would only cost money and I'm not sure on Rodgers situation. 

Both those QB's had their time.  They are still good but not enough to overcome the deficiencies the teams they play for have.  They used to be able to, not anymore.  But the biggest thing is that they would probably be a one and done option.  Just like Favre.  I'd rather see a younger guy that has won games for his team that can give us a couple of years until we can develop a QB.  I would not trade for Carr, but my guess is he will be cut because of his bonus payment date.  The Raiders will not have the luxury of waiting to trade him.

But, assuming Brady or Rodgers comes to this team, what do we do in 2024?  Have this same conversation?

9 minutes ago, xrade said:

Both those QB's had their time.  They are still good but not enough to overcome the deficiencies the teams they play for have.  They used to be able to, not anymore.  But the biggest thing is that they would probably be a one and done option.  Just like Favre.  I'd rather see a younger guy that has won games for his team that can give us a couple of years until we can develop a QB.  I would not trade for Carr, but my guess is he will be cut because of his bonus payment date.  The Raiders will not have the luxury of waiting to trade him.

But, assuming Brady or Rodgers comes to this team, what do we do in 2024?  Have this same conversation?

I would take a QB in the second round or if one falls to the Jets in their first round pick. I think this is a must no matter what if you go with one of them. I think Brady is still a top QB in the league. That tampa team is worse than our team. Aaron Rodgers team is worse than ours too. They have the QB to take them over those hard times which we NEVER have. I don't care what it cost or take to have your team go deep in the playoffs is worth every penny and draft pick it takes. This shows the FA for the following year that New York wants to win and you would be in a huge market where you can amke a lot of side money too. Brett Favre did very well here and almost got the Jets in the playoffs. My friend Mike DeVito said when Favre came in everything doubled from fans in the stands to the media. He told me it was crazy how the place got when Favre showed up. This would be the same for Rodgers or Brady. Just the positive vibe and putting yourself in the face of I better be really good for these guys. 

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I would take a QB in the second round or if one falls to the Jets in their first round pick. I think this is a must no matter what if you go with one of them. I think Brady is still a top QB in the league. That tampa team is worse than our team. Aaron Rodgers team is worse than ours too. They have the QB to take them over those hard times which we NEVER have. I don't care what it cost or take to have your team go deep in the playoffs is worth every penny and draft pick it takes. This shows the FA for the following year that New York wants to win and you would be in a huge market where you can amke a lot of side money too. Brett Favre did very well here and almost got the Jets in the playoffs. My friend Mike DeVito said when Favre came in everything doubled from fans in the stands to the media. He told me it was crazy how the place got when Favre showed up. This would be the same for Rodgers or Brady. Just the positive vibe and putting yourself in the face of I better be really good for these guys. 

I hear what your saying.  Do you think if we got either of those two that the Jets would go to the SB?  It is a silly question, I know, but if they don't then what's the point of just getting to the playoffs knowing we will need a QB in 2024.  If I was certain that all we needed was just one of them to get to the SB then absolutely.  I just don't think this team, even with them, is good enough yet.  I'd rather get a QB who will be here a little longer to get us over this QB hump until we can develop one.

20 minutes ago, xrade said:

I know you look at wins and losses as the end all for a QB, but forget that for the moment.  Is MFW or Zach a better QB ATM?  MFW is what he is.  Zach certainly has more potential (ie has not done anything yet).  Would you really risk a game or a season in which we have the talent almost everywhere else to get to the playoffs just to get Mr. Potential in the game if needed?

I agree that neither QB is the answer but if we need a backup to whomever is the starter next year, I do not want Zach.  Maybe in 2024.  Therefore, I'd rather White assuming he takes backup $.  As I said earlier, I'd prefer a better backup.

I simply just don't agree. When you have Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, etc. at QB and such. Yes a reliable backup that can keep you a playoff team in case the starter gets injured is best. We don't fit that criteria. We at the moment have no good QBs. Literally Flacco was arguably better than White and Wilson. This false narrative that White is even decent is getting out of hand. He flat out shouldn't be a Jet next season. He had a few games last year and is getting 6 this year and has shown he's not an NFL starter. And he's a guy with 0... literally 0 potential. He has no ability to magically get mobility, a stronger arm and such. He is what he is. A poor backup QB. Where Wilson has potential. I will continue to say that yes his floor is lower. But the potential in him is WAY higher. Also tell me the last time a team gave up on a top 2 NFL draft QB after just 2 years? I don't think that's ever happened. I don't expect us to be a 1st. Fact is is Wilson is under contract after Sunday and White isn't. White didn't play good enough to get resigned and the potential of Wilson is good enough for him to stay a Jet. Not the starting QB... but a Jet. White in no way has earned to be paid as a FA with us. If he played good enough to get resigned. Well so did Joyner and Fant.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I simply just don't agree. When you have Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, etc. at QB and such. Yes a reliable backup that can keep you a playoff team in case the starter gets injured is best. We don't fit that criteria. We at the moment have no good QBs. Literally Flacco was arguably better than White and Wilson. This false narrative that White is even decent is getting out of hand. He flat out shouldn't be a Jet next season. He had a few games last year and is getting 6 this year and has shown he's not an NFL starter. And he's a guy with 0... literally 0 potential. He has no ability to magically get mobility, a stronger arm and such. He is what he is. A poor backup QB. Where Wilson has potential. I will continue to say that yes his floor is lower. But the potential in him is WAY higher. Also tell me the last time a team gave up on a top 2 NFL draft QB after just 2 years? I don't think that's ever happened. I don't expect us to be a 1st. Fact is is Wilson is under contract after Sunday and White isn't. White didn't play good enough to get resigned and the potential of Wilson is good enough for him to stay a Jet. Not the starting QB... but a Jet. White in no way has earned to be paid as a FA with us. If he played good enough to get resigned. Well so did Joyner and Fant.

I could argue Rosen but he was picked 10.  I am not advocating for moving on from Wilson unless we draft a QB that has potential to start down the road.  We won't carry 4 QB's so it is between Wilson and a rookie.  Either way I'm fine as long as neither plays next year.

As for White, you are probably assuming I am a fanboy.  I'm not.  But if I had to play White or Wilson because our starting QB got hurt, I'm going White.  As for Wilson's potential, so what?  This league is littered with players that never realized their potential.  Maybe Wilson comes to TC next year and shows something but if I have the chance to get a backup that I am more comfortable with then that is the route I go for 2023.  If White happens to that backup for whatever reason then fine.

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

I could argue Rosen but he was picked 10.  I am not advocating for moving on from Wilson unless we draft a QB that has potential to start down the road.  We won't carry 4 QB's so it is between Wilson and a rookie.  Either way I'm fine as long as neither plays next year.

As for White, you are probably assuming I am a fanboy.  I'm not.  But if I had to play White or Wilson because our starting QB got hurt, I'm going White.  As for Wilson's potential, so what?  This league is littered with players that never realized their potential.  Maybe Wilson comes to TC next year and shows something but if I have the chance to get a backup that I am more comfortable with then that is the route I go for 2023.  If White happens to that backup for whatever reason then fine.

White just showed though with this roster that he's a 1-4 backup QB with more INTs than TDs. With 0 potential. So what in that gives you comfort?

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

White just showed though with this roster that he's a 1-4 backup QB with more INTs than TDs. With 0 potential. So what in that gives you comfort?

He gives me more comfort that Zach.  But this is all probably a moot point.  I just saw an article that Zach will be here next year and the Jets are going to develop him.  I'm good with that as long as he does not see the field next year.  Curious if the Jets feel that way.  I guess we'll know if the get two QB's this offseason - a starter and a backup.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

He gives me more comfort that Zach.  But this is all probably a moot point.  I just saw an article that Zach will be here next year and the Jets are going to develop him.  I'm good with that as long as he does not see the field next year.  Curious if the Jets feel that way.  I guess we'll know if the get two QB's this offseason - a starter and a backup.

Oh both of you were trying something?  I thought it was just talk. 

Edited by JetsandI

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

I honestly hope they have the balls to go with Zach Wilson next year. We’d get all the answers we need.

He should hire Nathaniel Hackett or whoever out of NFL job to be his personal coach during off season.  He lost year 2 so he has to show up as year 4 instead of either 2 or 3 next year.