QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But keep him as the backup with potential there. There's 0 potential in White.

No doubt, but if Jimmy or Carr go down, would you rather have Zach of Mike starting?  It is the same situation as this year.  MFW gives us a better chance to win.  That said, I'd rather another vet option as the backup.

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

No doubt, but if Jimmy or Carr go down, would you rather have Zach of Mike starting?  It is the same situation as this year.  MFW gives us a better chance to win.  That said, I'd rather another vet option as the backup.

I'm still rolling with the potential in Wilson. White gave us the best chance to win in the moment this season. Next year is a different story. I'm not giving White a decent contract bc "IF" a vet starting QB goes down, he "might" give us the best chance to win. Wilson costs what he costs and is under contract. To pay a starting QB and White just isn't smart business. It's not like White is leaps and bounds better than Wilson. And while I know the eye test says differently... fact is Wilson was 5-4 and White was 1-4. So does White being that he is what he is while Wilson should only get better actually give us the best chance to win? The records of the 2 says otherwise.

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

And the cost of Rodgers or TB will not be high?

Jets can set up business endorsements in NYC for Brady so Brady could be a Jet for 50m a season (10m NFL + 40m outside). Something like that.

However, if Brady decides to play another season I call Dolphins as his next destination.  Book that.

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

If we got veteran starter then Wilson would be our backup qb as JD won't cede Wilson as his qb.

We just need to prepare ourselves for the line from the FO that Wilson is our starting QB the next couple months but not believe it. They know we need more. But being he's the only guy under contract, that's what they HAVE TO say. I wouldn't read into it that we're only rolling with Wilson and a vet backup next year. I think we go vet starter that for sure is the starter. Not the Minshew type vet route, that where it's a competition with the vet and Wilson. That might be what we do. Which pushes Wilson. But I expect something bigger like Jimmy G or Carr.

40 minutes ago, xrade said:

Does Mike White give us a chance to win? No tds in his last three games despite throwing the ball 147 times. More turnovers than tds both in his career and this season. Just a 1-3 record this season too. All of that with little upside potential.

Zach Wilson sucks, but aleast there's a chance he develops, and he is cheaper and under contract.

I was a Zach fan coming out but I will admit I was wrong. We keep saying, "arm talent" "high ceiling" someone show me arm talent outside of that one play against Tennessee last year? Every deep ball this kid throws is underthrown. He can't throw on the run with any consistency and he can't throw accurately with his feet set to a receiver in the flats. Where is this arm talent? Completely OVERHYPED. He has a very mediocre arm and well below average accuracy and if his ability to read a defense was equivalent to learning how to read a book, he's still on Dr. Seuss. 

Jimmy G is going to cost us some big $ if we go that route. I highly doubt we get Carr but hey maybe he looks at Saleh and likes what he is doing here? Hard to imagine that though after a 5 game losing streak and uncertainty about the OC. I also want nothing to do with trading for him while having to pay him his big contract. If he gets cut sure but trading is a mistake when we have little cap room to begin with and need every pick we get our hands on. 

So even though I disagree with Zach having a high ceiling, which I think is purely subjective at this point, I do think he will be here with a veteran and hopefully a draft pick as well. In a perfect world I would want a completely new room in 2023 with a new OC but I highly doubt this organization has the stones to do so. 

27 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Does Mike White give us a chance to win? No tds in his last three games despite throwing the ball 147 times. More turnovers than tds both in his career and this season. Just a 1-3 record this season too. All of that with little upside potential.

Zach Wilson sucks, but aleast there's a chance he develops, and he is cheaper and under contract.

Exactly. This false narrative that White gives us the best chance to win is starting to get funny almost. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't agree. What we saw with White is exactly who you're getting. And that's not a good QB. That pretty much is his ceiling. There's still a higher ceiling with Wilson. The floor might is lower. But the ceiling is higher. Especially given he just finished year 2 and White is like 27 going into next year. So of course the maturity of White's game is better now. Wilson shouldn't go into next year at all in line to be the starter. I will 100% agree with that. We have to get a for sure starter in here that pushes him to backup and sit and learn and be the next man up. Jimmy G for me does that. Learning the system from a guy who's been in it for several seasons can only help Wilson as well. We have to remember how young Wilson is. It's not completely out that things can click for him. And if they do that will show in camp and such. His problems are fixable. You cant fix White's lack of mobility. You cant fix White's lack of arm strength. You cant fix his inability to make plays on the move. But you can fix Wilson's footwork. You can fix his decision making. You can fix his mechanics. And for me that's the difference. Also Wilson doesn't hold a ton of trade value right now, so there's no sense in trading him. If we sign a vet and Wilson sits on the bench all year then trade him next off season. But keep him as the backup with potential there. There's 0 potential in White. This is also completely leaving out that Wilson is actually under contract and White is an UFA. So keeping White will cost us a decent amount of money. So we're going to not only get a starting QB in here for a pretty big salary, but also give White a decent deal as a backup? No thank you. Give me the Jimmy G/Wilson route all day.

I’m keeping White to be the backup, not develop. I’d rather Jimmy G, White incase he gets hurt, and someone like Hendon Hooker sitting for 1.5-2 years. White won’t stop him from eventually playing. 

What happens when we keep Wilson on the bench for a year, go back to him in 2024, and he still sucks? Now we have nothing on the roster. 

4 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I’m keeping White to be the backup, not develop. I’d rather Jimmy G, White incase he gets hurt, and someone like Hendon Hooker sitting for 1.5-2 years. White won’t stop him from eventually playing. 

What happens when we keep Wilson on the bench for a year, go back to him in 2024, and he still sucks? Now we have nothing on the roster. 

What I think happens is we sign a vet like Jimmy G or Carr and they're not only getting 1 year. They're getting at least 2-3 years of a contract. So Wilson being a backup is exactly that. Him as a backup. He's always a snap away from being a starter. But he with a healthy starter is the backup. But a backup that's still cheaper, under contract for 2 seasons at least and has potential. White will cost more than Wilson does as a FA and has 0 potential.

Now if the starter gets injured and Wilson has to play. You see what he has. It could click for him. Or he could be the same guy we saw these last few games. Can't predict that. But there's potential still of a starting QB there based on pure skill. If we want to play the sit and learn game. Every time Wilson has had to sit and learn and wasn't penciled in as the starter for the week, he actually has played well. When he came back after injury last year he looked better. When he came back after injury this year he looked good. And even his 1st start against DET after getting benched he didn't look bad. So the idea of letting him sit where he knows he's not starting for awhile might be the best thing for him. 

I'm all for drafting a guy in the mid late rounds and sit and develop. So I have no issue with that line of thinking of sitting and developing a guy.

But the idea of paying White as a FA to be a backup who in fact isn't this leaps and bounds better QB to Wilson and trading Wilson for nothing, just makes no sense to me. And those reasons are 2 obvious things. White wont be worth the contract he will want. And we wont be able to trade Wilson for what his potential is worth as a backup. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

And the cost of Rodgers or TB will not be high?

Agree, pining for Rodgers or TB is pointless.  I’m also of the opinion we aren’t just a QB away (gasp)

Rodgers will command an absurd amount of money and picks, and is already playing the retirement game.

Tom Brady is Tom Brady.

These two need to be crossed off every list.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

White to me has shown he can't run this offense for us to be a playoff team. What we saw from him is the best of him and that's a 1-4 QB that has a line of averaging 59% 298yds with throwing for 3 TDs and 4 INTs. That's not good enough for us.

Here's what I think happens and is the most realistic. I'm not saying this is what I want to happen. It's what I think will happen.

I think we let Flacco and White go, they're UFA remember. We keep Wilson as our backup QB and we sign Jimmy G as an UFA. Maybe draft a QB late to develop and keep on the PS. Remember that most teams only carry 2 QBs. We're odd that we have 3 that actually play for us (4 actually this season).

Jimmy G is realistic bc he's an UFA and is pretty much a lock to leave SF with Purdy and Lance there. Him being familiar with our staff and knowing the basics of our system, just makes sense for us and him. The issues with Jimmy G are that he wont be cheap bc UFA starting QBs rarely are. But at least we wouldn't have to trade and give up draft picks for him. He's often injured. He has limitations being he's pretty much only above average. But that might be all we need. And he's 31. So he's not exactly in his prime.

But he should be able to hit the ground running here with the system assuming we keep MLF. We get AVT and Becton back on the OL. We get Hall back at RB. That's 3 big things for a QB. Protection, a run game and a safety net in the RB screen game.

Jimmy G over the last 4 seasons with SF is averaging 68% 252yds a game with throwing 70 TDs to 34 INTs. Adding on 6 rushing TDs. Which is significantly better than anything we've gotten from our QBs in a long time.  Not incredible. But good enough like it is for SF with the way our team is built. We have a good defense and when healthy we have a good run game with enough weapons at WR and TE to help him.

So my prediction is our QB room is Jimmy G, Wilson and a mid/late round rookie.

White has been playing with two broken ribs the only reason he played last week is because there is no one left Wilson is inactive for the rest of the year, And Joe Flacco is done in the eyes of the Jets front office. The Jets must really be down on Wilson, not to dress him for the last game of the season. If it was up to me I would have Wilson, ready to play if needed Sunday.