QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Want nothing to do with Carr. Few good statistical seasons with little to show for it. People really want to commit $30m+ to a guy who was just benched?

I’d make every effort to land Lamar, Rodgers.. or any true difference maker. Otherwise, I’d much rather a bridge option (Jimmy G, Minshew, etc) than spend that type of money on a good, not great QB. Opportunity cost associated with Carr means less money to sure-up the OL, less flexibility to go after a top tier QB when/if one becomes available. 

Don't think Lamar or Rogers will be available. Farve had an 8-8 and 9-7 seasons  in 06' and 08' before going to NFCCG the following years. Rogers can bounce back in GB.

Carr is the best option right now. Minshew and White is solid, but definitely not JimmyG. If he couldn't win in SF when will he? Will Jimmy even get the starting job back if Purdy keeps winning? 

I would sign Carr to a 3 year deal and 4th year option. Otherwise, Minshew White with A LOT of help around them.

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Want nothing to do with Carr. Few good statistical seasons with little to show for it. People really want to commit $30m+ to a guy who was just benched?

I don’t care about money. We have plenty of guys coming off the books and JD has signed guys to contracts that are easy to get out of. Even if we overpaid for 3-4 years we aren’t rushing to draft and start a QB. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Win a SB. With that personnel, he was unable to.

I mean that's a very high expectation. He got to a super bowl with SF and has repeatedly had winning seasons. There's lots of options for us:

Jimmy G - decent starter who'd see us into a likely playoff run

Rodgers - risk is it being another Favre but the upside is it being Brady in Tampa. I think it'd work.

Lamar - no thanks, injury risk and will require a collosal overpayment 

Carr - a riskier version of Jimmy G with more upside

Wentz/Jameis/Baker/etc. + Mike White - wouldn't be opposed to this if White looks good in the next 2 games.

Eerily interesting. one poster said about Carr's non stop 3 and outs EVERY YEAR.   I always assume Gruden and McDaniels have something to do with it but prior to that?

I can't be certain but if so he won't be an upgrade to Wilson.  I wish I could find statistic for that.

15 hours ago, drew39k said:

I agree with almost all of this. 

The one part I don't agree with is firing MLF. Much like Saleh and Wilson he was always going to need time to develop. I don't want to have to start all over just yet. Let's see if he's learned or if he improves with a vet QB next year.

MLF has a habit of not changing his patterns, the Jets X factor exposes just one of his many play calling gaffs.

You see MLF likes to run an empty backfield and the Jets success rate is rated as one of the worse. What does that mean, the opposing D is sitting on the pass. There is no threat of a possible run, and the offensive threat that they will run the ball instead. 

MLF and his offense is predictable, in fact before he went upstairs, I complained that he wasn't covering his mouth when barking out plays. Look at any of the other OC and they cover their mouths. It drove me crazy.

So I was elated that he was going upstairs, but his play calling is terrible.

MW avg. 55 throws a game his last 2 games? Outside of the worse team in football "Chicago" MW hasn't or MLF OR both haven't scored a TD in the following 2 games before MW was injured.

Wanting MW as a starter next year for starved Jets fan's is a losing plan, want to resign him as a back up? OK, he is a capable QB. Sit Zac for the next 2 years evaluate him and if he is not the answer move on.

As for OC, we need a good one, as for a QB, with this defense, a good QB could get them in the playoffs and to the SB. We don't need an elite ready to retire, one year away from retirement QB. Just look at the Russel Wilson horror story. 

So MFL, according to sources is not a favorite of WJ and wants him gone and I couldn't agree more. 

10 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I don’t care about money. We have plenty of guys coming off the books and JD has signed guys to contracts that are easy to get out of. Even if we overpaid for 3-4 years we aren’t rushing to draft and start a QB. 

Carr isn't a guy I'd be willing to handicap the rest of our roster for, and at ~40m/yr (current contract) that's the reality. He's in that weird tier for me - good enough to command big money, not good enough to carry a team - which almost always leads to QB purgatory. 

Raiders fans, who are just as desperate for a franchise QB as we are, can't wait to move on from him. Is that not a bit telling? Over the last 8-weeks only Zach Wilson has a worse passer rating. In 9 seasons he has a sub .500 win percentage and not a single playoff win. Last pro-bowl was 5yrs ago. 

Again, it's a matter of opportunity cost. For that type of money, you have to be convinced Carr is capable of winning a Super Bowl here (IMO). I don't see it, whereas, someone like Lamar or Rodgers would move the needle for me. Otherwise, continue to build a team like the 49s have, where the roster is so good we can win with a lesser option.

Edited by NJC33

I'm sorry but is there really that big of jump going from Mike White to say a Carr, Jimmy G, Gardner M or anyone else. I think all these guys are pretty close to the same level in my eyes. I would rather go Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, or Tom Brady. Have Mike White as your backup and a rookie to work with. If I can't land any of those 3 I'm going with Mike White and a vet to back him up and a rookie for the 3rd spot. I would trade Wilson for a second round pick. 

15 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

No one is giving up a decent draft pick for Zach Wilson 

I don’t think so either. But somehow we traded Darnold for a decent package. Don’t think we get that for Wilson…. But we still might get something good like a 2nd. Reason being he’s still under contract for 2 years at a good deal for any QB. That’s why we could argue keeping him and just demoting him to 3rd string or something.

What I don’t want is to be tricked into paying White good money.