QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

We all said these guys careers were tied to the ZW pick. Let’s see it go down that way

I think they bring in someone that can start for us with Wilson as the backup. And actual QB competition with a vet at worst. I think they see what Jimmy G and Carr cost if those seem unrealistic, then turn to a guy like Minshew and such. You get the likes of Jimmy G or Carr, then there's no QB competition, they're the starter and Wilson si the backup. You get the like of Minshew and it's a QB competition. 

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

@Bobby816I don’t think anyone wants to pay Mike White starter money. Offer him back up money and he can take it or leave it. 

What's the point of offering him backup money though when Wilson is under contract. Use that cap space on a legit starting QB or even elsewhere to improve the roster. Don't waste 5 mill or whatever it will cost to sign him on a bad player that has no potential. 

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What's the point of offering him backup money though when Wilson is under contract. Use that cap space on a legit starting QB or even elsewhere to improve the roster. Don't waste 5 mill or whatever it will cost to sign him on a bad player that has no potential. 

We’d be getting rid of Wilson in this situation. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think they bring in someone that can start for us with Wilson as the backup. And actual QB competition with a vet at worst. I think they see what Jimmy G and Carr cost if those seem unrealistic, then turn to a guy like Minshew and such. You get the likes of Jimmy G or Carr, then there's no QB competition, they're the starter and Wilson si the backup. You get the like of Minshew and it's a QB competition. 

I highly doubt these guys are going to leave it to chance with a QB competition. One more bad year and they will lose their jobs. Douglas has been good about getting value in trades and not going past his price etc but they'll bend over for Jimmy G or Carr or whoever their first choice is. If they end up with Minshew and Wilson or if Wilson is even in the equation without an injury I'd be shocked. 

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If we go into the season with 2 bad QB's it's a repeat of this year. Minshew is no better than White. If we get Jimmy G we should then draft a QB in rounds 2-4 and then decide whether we roll with Wilson as a bizarre 3rd string choice or just outright get rid of him for a 7th round pick. If we don't get a Jimmy G figure then we're in a bit of bother and can't contemplate entering the season with Zach Wilson in a legitimate QB competition.

I think you all think there's going to be this huge turnover in the QB room. This staff isn't giving up on Wilson. I hate to tell you all that. White is a FA who wasn't good. It's pointless to pay him. The idea that we resign White and trade Wilson, just isn't happening as much as most of you appear to want it. You all are just not looking at this very clearly on how the business side of football works. You're just looking at it as I'm done with Wilson and White passed the eye test more than Wilson. That's not how this game works.

WHITE IS A FA!!!!!!!! He has to be paid to come back. He did nothing in his time here to warrant getting paid. So ya let's go waste 5+mill in cap space for a guy that we know is bad in this system and has 0 potential. Not happening. Sorry.

WILSON IS UNDER CONTRACT FOR 2 MORE YEARS (POSSIBLY 3)!!! Whether you like him or not. He's a Jet. His trade value is nothing right now, so they wont trade him. He will be on this roster next year. Just hopefully not in line to be the starter like he has the last 2 years. He needs to sit and learn this whole off season and hopefully next season for at least a while.

You can wish for White over Wilson all you want, but it's not happening.

Switch the focus to who you want starting over Wilson. Because that's the only thing that should be discussed with us at QB.

Realistic options are... Jimmy G, Carr, Geno, Darnold, Minshew, Heinicke, Mayfield, Brissett, Dalton.

The pipe dreams are... Brady, Lamar, Jones.

Without me thinking about the pipe dreams of Lamar or Brady these I think are the most likely situations for us.

1. Sign Jimmy G as a FA

2. Trade a late round pick for Carr and restructure his deal (Vegas has 0 leverage with him)

3. Bring back Darnold. He wont cost a ton and should start over Wilson. He's started 5 games this year with 0 talent around him (remember he had no talent around him when he was here and now would). and has still gone 3-2 with a line of 62% 9 TDs (2 rushing) and 1 INT. Pretty impressive line given what's around him. He'll just be turning 26 to start next season as well. So there's a future there.

4. Sign Minshew and have Him and Wilson battel for the QB spot.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think you all think there's going to be this huge turnover in the QB room. This staff isn't giving up on Wilson. I hate to tell you all that. White is a FA who wasn't good. It's pointless to pay him. The idea that we resign White and trade Wilson, just isn't happening as much as most of you appear to want it. You all are just not looking at this very clearly on how the business side of football works. You're just looking at it as I'm done with Wilson and White passed the eye test more than Wilson. That's not how this game works.

WHITE IS A FA!!!!!!!! He has to be paid to come back. He did nothing in his time here to warrant getting paid. So ya let's go waste 5+mill in cap space for a guy that we know is bad in this system and has 0 potential. Not happening. Sorry.

WILSON IS UNDER CONTRACT FOR 2 MORE YEARS (POSSIBLY 3)!!! Whether you like him or not. He's a Jet. His trade value is nothing right now, so they wont trade him. He will be on this roster next year. Just hopefully not in line to be the starter like he has the last 2 years. He needs to sit and learn this whole off season and hopefully next season for at least a while.

Switch the focus to who you want starting over Wilson. Because that's the only thing that should be discussed with us at QB.

Realistic options are... Jimmy G, Carr, Geno, Darnold, Minshew, Heinicke, Mayfield, Brissett, Dalton.

Without me thinking about the pipe dreams of Lamar or Brady these I think are the most likely situations for us.

1. Sign Jimmy G as a FA

2. Trade a late round pick for Carr and restructure his deal (Vegas has 0 leverage with him)

3. Bring back Darnold. He wont cost a ton and should start over Wilson. He's started 5 games this year with 0 talent around him (remember he had no talent around him when he was here and now would). and has still gone 3-2 with a line of 62% 9 TDs (2 rushing) and 1 INT. Pretty impressive line given what's around him. He'll just be turning 26 to start next season as well. So there's a future there.

I never wanted to get ride of Sam Darnold. I always thought he would be better than Zach anyways. I would love for Sam to come back but i higly doubt he comes back to New York. I hate the Garner idea. Why do you want a room full of average to below average QB's. I'm sorry but getting Gardner is like a Mike White. I would rather have Baker Mayfield. I do feel you are right on Zach Wilson. They have no choice but to keep him. This is why Saleh will get fired next year if they don't make the playoffs. 

This is what I hope happens.

1. Tom Brady (give me this guy all day long)

2. Aaron Rodgers ( I think he is done)

3. Baker Mayfield ( i loved his talent and wanted him over Sam)

4. Sam Darnold ( I still think he has the tools and is on the edge to be above average QB)

The hates

1 Gardner (the guy is not good sorry he sucks and is a career backup welcome to Mike White 2.0)

2. Carr ( I don't think the money is worth the problems. He gave up on the Raiders and is a abover average QB but is he worth 30 plus mill a year for what you will get. No thank you)

3. Jimmy G (The guy is made of glass and will NEVER play 17 games plus playoffs no way then it will cost you 30 mill for this guy too. I still think he is a product of the system.)

Don't even think about it

1. Lamar Jackson (he is not leaving the Ravens)

2. Danny Dimes Jones ( Giants will not let him go. They have their guy and he likes it there.)

Baker Mayfield is the play if they are looking at a short term guy

Darnold won’t want to come back here. Same with Geno but Seattle will keep him.

Minshew isn’t proven enough 

Tom Brady will never pick the Jets

Jimmy G will likely get paid a lot (though I can see Douglas overpaying on this one since he has to fix the position)

Edited by GangGreen420
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

1. Sign Jimmy G as a FA

Darnold will never see the green and white unless he plays for Philly. Jimmy G or Carr would definitely be an upgrade at QB and with this d, we should make the playoffs next year if everyone comes back healthy and we have a good draft and FA signings. 

I agree we should either draft a QB or look for one who will be a FA. I would rather have Mayfield as a backup than White or Zach at this point in his career.

So basically I agree with you with the exception of Darnold.

36 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

2. Carr ( I don't think the money is worth the problems. He gave up on the Raiders and is a abover average QB but is he worth 30 plus mill a year for what you will get. No thank you)

Actually it is the other way around; the Raiders gave up on him.  Apparently, McDaniels wants his guy at QB.

37 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

3. Jimmy G (The guy is made of glass and will NEVER play 17 games plus playoffs no way then it will cost you 30 mill for this guy too. I still think he is a product of the system.)

If he is product of the system, sign me up.  We run the same system.

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He will be on this team, no question.  The argument is does anyone trust Zach as the primary backup?  If no, then he is a PS candidate and do we draft a QB in which case the roster spot comes down to Zach and the rookie.  My guess is we don't draft a rookie and treat Zach as one.  This would also require signing a backup QB.

If the Jets do trust Zach as the primary backup, we will probably draft a rookie on day 2 or 3.  I'm not a fan of this move simply because I don't want Zach on the field at all next year.  Regardless, Zach may learn better if he is on the field on gameday.  Lets just hope the starter does not go down for any length of time.

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

He will be on this team, no question.  The argument is does anyone trust Zach as the primary backup?  If no, then he is a PS candidate and do we draft a QB in which case the roster spot comes down to Zach and the rookie.  My guess is we don't draft a rookie and treat Zach as one.  This would also require signing a backup QB.

If the Jets do trust Zach as the primary backup, we will probably draft a rookie on day 2 or 3.  I'm not a fan of this move simply because I don't want Zach on the field at all next year.  Regardless, Zach may learn better if he is on the field on gameday.  Lets just hope the starter does not go down for any length of time.

Wilson is a PS candidate?  Oh right.. you keep dreaming.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Wilson is a PS candidate?  Oh right.. you keep dreaming.

If they don't trust him to be the backup and the Jets have to sign a backup, where are they putting him?  Will they keep three QB's on the active roster?