Week 13: Jets (7-4) at VIKINGS (9-2)

swede700

A Jets Fan wrote: "Really amazes me how much a pair of drops can completely change the outcome of a game and the view of how the player is perceived. 

Mike White played a solid game against a terrible and injured defense.

He also threw two balls right at defenders that should have been picked. Better defenses won't drop those interceptions. Let's temper these evaluations a bit. 

I'll give him that It was a rainy day and his first start (of the year)though and maybe he gains some confidence and is able to learn from those near misses. Still, I'm nervous to see how he handles a halfway decent defense that can get any sort of pass rush .

Lastly, I did love how quick, decisive and accurate he was with the check downs. Really helped keep them in short and manageable situations."

-------

Hey, we have a halfway decent defense. sort of... don't we...?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

A Jets Fan wrote: "Really amazes me how much a pair of drops can completely change the outcome of a game and the view of how the player is perceived. 

Mike White played a solid game against a terrible and injured defense.

He also threw two balls right at defenders that should have been picked. Better defenses won't drop those interceptions. Let's temper these evaluations a bit. 

I'll give him that It was a rainy day and his first start (of the year)though and maybe he gains some confidence and is able to learn from those near misses. Still, I'm nervous to see how he handles a halfway decent defense that can get any sort of pass rush .

Lastly, I did love how quick, decisive and accurate he was with the check downs. Really helped keep them in short and manageable situations."

-------

I’d say no. We create turnovers but that’s about it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure what to make of the defense...it's good when it needs to be, but it has lulls like the offense does. 

According to FootballOutsiders, the Vikings are a bottom 10 defense (#23), so halfway decent would probably be a stretch.  Of the teams currently in the playoffs, only the Giants have a worse defense...and it's mainly because the pass defense has been pretty bad.  Run defense is middle of the pack (probably gotten worse without Tomlinson),  And just looking at the offense ratings, it does put into perspective the perception of the Vikings being the worst 9-2 team ever.  🤣

Edited by swede700

Jets coach Robert Saleh reiterated Monday that he still hopes to play demoted starter Zach Wilson, setting the stage for a weekly quarterback soap opera as the Jets (7-4) bid to end their 11-year playoff drought.

Saleh: "It's exactly what I talked about last week in my press conference. It's a week-to-week deal. The full intent is to get Zach ready to play football again. I'll make that decision when I'm ready. While we're going through this process, it's Mike White's opportunity to take advantage of every last play he gets. I'm going to leave it at that. We're going to figure it out as we go."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35133284/robert-saleh-mike-white-huge-game-altered-jets-qb-plan

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

By comparison to the bears at least.... 😉

Admittedly I don't watch much Minnesota Vikings football, but I'd imagine there has to be some sort of quality in your defense that is positive to be 9-2.

I know Jefferson and cook are amazing but that can't be your teams entire success, can it?

33 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Admittedly I don't watch much Minnesota Vikings football, but I'd imagine there has to be some sort of quality in your defense that is positive to be 9-2.

I know Jefferson and cook are amazing but that can't be your teams entire success, can it?

2 players out of 53, of course not

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drew39k said:

Coaching and situational football has been a huge plus for us this year. 

Your team is certainly better than I expected, but then I fully embraced the idea of the team sinking with Zach Wilson no matter what.

I like what the Jets are doing. I just think getting Hall back, and finally getting a good QB could be what really turns your team into something special.

Edited by SteelKing728

The story of this game will be trench warfare.  Outside of Jefferson, the story of the Vikings offense this year has been the elite play of the offensive line (minus the Dallas game.)  For the Jets, Sauce Gardner might be their best player, but the real strength of the team is found in the defensive line and edge rushers.  It will be strength vs strength when the Vikings have the ball.

The Vikings keys to victory will be to open holes for Cook and Mattison and try to draw their DB's up into helping stop the run, and expose weaker coverages on Thielen, Osborn, and Hockenson.  I think the Vikings D will be able to handle the Jets offense.

The Jets keys to victory will be to collapse Cousins pocket, especially up the middle.  Also, if their d is able to clog the running lanes between the tackles and force Cook/Mattison outside the edge, then the running game is much less effective.  If they are also able to win the turnover battle giving their offense a shorter field they have a chance.

The team that executes the game plan, and maximizes their chances will win.  All season, the Vikings have been masterful at situational football. It will be close...again...but the Vikes pull it out 27-24.

• Like 2

Pete Bercich with a very informative and well stated review of Mike WHite's strengths (pre-snap reads) and his weaknesses (post snap reads).

Bercich: "If you don't disguise, Mike White is going to have a successful day. You can't let this guy pick you apart mentally before the snap."