Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

54 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Why can't he respond in a couple days?

He can. Or he can choose not to. That’s more of an answer to the question than another question though.

Did it say in the article he spoke to his source recently or was this told to him long ago?

1 hour ago, OzPackfan said:

I want him traded but I don't think it will happen.

I think everyone needs to brace themselves for the fact he will come back for one last season in Green Bay (on a restructured contract) and then retire. This allows the Packers to pick up the 5th year option on Love for 2024

Very well could happen like that.  My concern is Rodgers picks a team he wants to go to, that team will know he wants to go there and offer the Packers peanuts. 

Do you redo Rodgers contract for a year in GB and let him retire, or send him to a team for a song.

Gute needs to be careful here IMO. You can't just give him away, and I hope he gets a decent return if they go that way.

For me, it's all about the return they get, and Gute needs to hold onto "Rodgers COULD return to Green Bay" as leverage against a trading team. JMO

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Who forced him into isolation? If he didn't understand this is the portion of the off season where speculation and rumors runs rampant, he's not as smart as he thinks he is. 

What is there to respond too? The Packers have made it known to Rodgers where they stand, you can be sure of that, even if it's not being reported. It may not have been communicated at his year-end exit interview but after the fact as well. 

You can tell by Rodgers words he knows it's another team or retire. 

No, I don’t think the Packers have told Rodgers where they stand. Because Rodgers said so. They’re too busy figuring out their options right now. Freeing up cap space doesn’t scream “moving on” to me though.

Theres rumors to respond to despite Rodgers making it abundantly clear—no one knows what’s going to happen because both sides have to decide they want each other.

If Green Bay was moving on, the bidding war would’ve already started. They’d be advertising. They’d be giving teams maximum heads up to make cap space, get their bids in order, and they’d be giving Rodgers permission to talk to teams. That hasn’t happened yet. It’s still a month until teams need to be cap compliant.

Theres nothing to talk about—but people keep making money off the story by making things up. Nothings decided. Yet there’s a daily Rodgers story with new inside BS. How?

19 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

No, I don’t think the Packers have told Rodgers where they stand. Because Rodgers said so. They’re too busy figuring out their options right now. Freeing up cap space doesn’t scream “moving on” to me though.

Theres rumors to respond to despite Rodgers making it abundantly clear—no one knows what’s going to happen because both sides have to decide they want each other.

If Green Bay was moving on, the bidding war would’ve already started. They’d be advertising. They’d be giving teams maximum heads up to make cap space, get their bids in order, and they’d be giving Rodgers permission to talk to teams. That hasn’t happened yet. It’s still a month until teams need to be cap compliant.

Theres nothing to talk about—but people keep making money off the story by making things up. Nothings decided. Yet there’s a daily Rodgers story with new inside BS. How?

Smoke season.  I do believe the Packers have had backdoor discussions to guage trade interest in Rodgers.  In order to make an informed decision you have to weigh all your options.  McGinn article was trash but there may be a hint of truth to it.  Same goes with Silverstein.   

Packers don't get a decent trade offer.  Aaron's willing to restructure and take a pay cut to stay on the team he could be back.  No one really knows how it's going to play out yet.  If Aaron wants to play for the Packers he'll have to make some concessions. 

If he does come back it won't be as a back up either.  If anything tells you McGinn is a hack it was that.   50/50...some day within the next several weeks the smoke will rise from 1265 and we'll have our answer.  Until then more of the same.  Endless speculation. 

Edited by Scoremore

29 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Very well could happen like that.  My concern is Rodgers picks a team he wants to go to, that team will know he wants to go there and offer the Packers peanuts. 

Do you redo Rodgers contract for a year in GB and let him retire, or send him to a team for a song.

Gute needs to be careful here IMO. You can't just give him away, and I hope he gets a decent return if they go that way.

For me, it's all about the return they get, and Gute needs to hold onto "Rodgers COULD return to Green Bay" as leverage against a trading team. JMO

You look at last years contract and he was paid 41.95m in cash for the 2022 season. Can easily see some sort of restructure where he gets paid the same amount of cash and his cap number stays the same. (i.e. 36m signing bonus and 5.95m salary).

Doing this would result in 50.73m of dead money next year when he retires. That could count all in one go or be split over 2 years should his retirement be after June 1 (2024 and 2025)

Edited by OzPackfan

26 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

How can they do that when His Majesty hasn't even said if he's playing next year? 

If Green Bay was moving on, you, me, and the talking heads wouldn’t know it.  All negotiations with teams and Ol Rodg at this point would be on a need to know basis.  We don’t need to know.

Now in a moment of clarity one can, since we now agree that none of us “know”, that there are multiple options at play here.  Maybe Ol Rodg does indeed end up retiring.  Maybe he’s back with a team friendlier re-structure, maybe he’s traded.  Maybe the worse option I see and he returns with an extension but not so friendly.  Options.  Consequences.

There are multiple teams that make sense for both parties.  I hope the chosen option puts Ol Rodg on the path to one of them.  It was a big mistake to sign him to that stupid contract.  You can’t fix it now, but you can begin the recovery.

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

He can. Or he can choose not to. That’s more of an answer to the question than another question though.

Did it say in the article he spoke to his source recently or was this told to him long ago?

What does Rodgers have to respond to anyway? The story is about a conversation between Gute and another member in the front office.

You're really reaching lately on a lot of stuff. It seems you're pretty emotional about it.

• Like 2

You also have to talk with Jordan Love if Rodgers is back.  Sure you can activate the 5th year option and he's probably happy financially, but what about missing his 4th season of playing.  Gotta smooth that over, maybe even before you agree to take Rodgers back for a year??? 

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

You also have to talk with Jordan Love if Rodgers is back.  Sure you can activate the 5th year option and he's probably happy financially, but what about missing his 4th season of playing.  Gotta smooth that over, maybe even before you agree to take Rodgers back for a year??? 

That’s where they both having the same agent comes in handy.

Maybe you tell Love that you are activating the 5th year option and once Rodgers retirement papers are in then an extension will be sorted out

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

What does Rodgers have to respond to anyway? The story is about a conversation between Gute and another member in the front office.

You're really reaching lately on a lot of stuff. It seems you're pretty emotional about it.

In todays societal climate, it’s important to be a stickler for the facts. I’m not saying Rodgers has to go full Will Smith and slap anyone that talks about him but let’s not straight up lie for clicks and let it slide. Rodgers isn’t going to lie his butt off on his way out the door.

Does the story say when the conversation happened or not? Two answers in a row that ask questions of their own rather than answering the question.

I’ve literally spoken in front of hundreds of people multiple times about regulating emotion at the NEABPD conferences in Chicago, Mayo Clinic in Rochester. You may even find a video including of me on YouTube. Taught coping skills to teenagers for regulating emotion. Dined with the top doctors in the mental health field. Plus I’m married to a woman with three kids. I don’t have emotions anymore. And I wouldn’t be coming here if I was getting emotional in a negative way. Throughly enjoying myself lately, if the post lengths are any evidence. Been a while since I’ve gotten to write so meaninglessly and freely. So I appreciate the engagement.

11 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I’ve literally spoken in front of hundreds of people multiple times about regulating emotion at the NEABPD conferences in Chicago, Mayo Clinic in Rochester. You may even find a video including of me on YouTube. Taught coping skills to teenagers for regulating emotion. Dined with the top doctors in the mental health field. Plus I’m married to a woman with three kids. I don’t have emotions anymore. And I wouldn’t be coming here if I was getting emotional in a negative way. Throughly enjoying myself lately, if the post lengths are any evidence. Been a while since I’ve gotten to write so meaninglessly and freely. So I appreciate the engagement.

Let me be the first to say, we appreciate your meaningless writing. Keep up the good work :)
As a secondary note....congrats on what appears to be a successful career 👍

12 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

In todays societal climate, it’s important to be a stickler for the facts. I’m not saying Rodgers has to go full Will Smith and slap anyone that talks about him but let’s not straight up lie for clicks and let it slide. Rodgers isn’t going to lie his butt off on his way out the door

I guess I'm even more confused now. 

What facts can Rodgers refute or corroborate about a conversation between Gute and one of his colleagues? Rodgers wasn't there. He wasn't involved in anything regarding the story at all.