Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

4 minutes ago, Cousin Eddie said:

Having a HOF QB join your team that guarantees $millions in ticket and merchandise sales is extremely enticing to a lot of owners. More so than some high draft picks that may or may not pan out. 

This is the one side many have ignored. 

But then saw some of the issues with his trading team in an article today. So I think it will settle out around total value of an overall top 10-15 pick.

Maybe we need the Lions to get involved and help facilitate a trade like this:

Jets:
Give Up - Picks 13,43,74 + a 2024 2nd
Get - Rodgers, Pick 18

Packers:
Give Up - Rodgers, Pick 78
Get - Picks 43,45,55 + a 2024 2nd

Lions:
Give Up - Picks 18,45,55
Get - Picks 13,74,78

29 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Fascinating concept.  How many millions is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd worth?

I dont know, I'm sure that's negotiable.  Eat some of Rodgers contract for higher picks from the Jets.  That's a question for Gute/Russ Ball on if they could work that financially.

Edited by NFLGURU

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Fascinating concept.  How many millions is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd worth?

Houston traded Brock Osweiler and a 2nd round pick to the Browns. It saved Houston 16 Mil in cash and 10 Mil in space. So using precedence it’s roughly 10 Mil in cap space for a 2nd.

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Houston traded Brock Osweiler and a 2nd round pick to the Browns. It saved Houston 16 Mil in cash and 10 Mil in space. So using precedence it’s roughly 10 Mil in cap space for a 2nd.

i have a hard time thinking rodgers is comparable to osweiler

I was reading a solution proposed by a former NFL capologist, and he suggested the conditional picks will linger into 2025.

The deal would be Rodgers for a 2023 first rounder and a 2024 conditional pick that bottoms out at a 3rd for missing the playoffs and maxes out as a first with a conference championship. But if Rodgers then retires (becoming a one-and-done for the receiving team) then Green Bay would give back a 2025 second rounder.

The reason it has to happen this way (and not just include it as a condition for the Jets 2024 pick to us) is to avoid having Rodgers "retire" before the 2024 draft and "unretire" after it - we only give up the pick if he doesn't play at all in 2024.

Throw in a poison pill where he can't be traded to the Vikings for good measure and call it a day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I was reading a solution proposed by a former NFL capologist, and he suggested the conditional picks will linger into 2025.

The deal would be Rodgers for a 2023 first rounder and a 2024 conditional pick that bottoms out at a 3rd for missing the playoffs and maxes out as a first with a conference championship. But if Rodgers then retires (becoming a one-and-done for the receiving team) then Green Bay would give back a 2025 second rounder.

The reason it has to happen this way (and not just include it as a condition for the Jets 2024 pick to us) is to avoid having Rodgers "retire" before the 2024 draft and "unretire" after it - we only give up the pick if he doesn't play at all in 2024.

Throw in a poison pill where he can't be traded to the Vikings for good measure and call it a day.

Funny timing, I was thinking almost exactly this earlier today as well - that I thought the conditional picks would go into 2025 exactly because the trading team wants to ensure they get at least 2 years out of him.

• Like 1

GB trades Rodgers

NYJ trade #13 and a conditional 24 4th. Becomes a 3rd if he starts more than 10 games. Becomes a 2nd if they made the playoffs in 23 or he led the league in TDs. Becomes a 1st if they win a playoff game or be is league MVP. 

If GB has to eat some extra cap, so be it 

Edited by crfalker05

37 minutes ago, crfalker05 said:

GB trades Rodgers

NYJ trade #13 and a conditional 24 4th. Becomes a 3rd if he starts more than 10 games. Becomes a 2nd if they made the playoffs in 23 or he led the league in TDs. Becomes a 1st if they win a playoff game or be is league MVP. 

If GB has to eat some extra cap, so be it 

Probably something like that. It has to have some  conditional element to help protect gutey looking poor if Rodgers tears it up elsewhere, which he’s certainly capable of.