Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

the issue I'm having is you're saying the special structure of the 3/150 extension is helping them get more in a trade than they would otherwise.  Rodgers was already signed for 2023 at an affordable number.  If they traded him on that deal, the jets wouldn't be hemming and hawing about compensation because they could structure the cap hits/options/bonus money with a new extension that worked for them.

Instead, he's on this deal that helped create $7M cap room for a 2022 push that fell completely flat.

right, it's a flexible contract that allowed for a 2022 push (as I literally just stated) and now allows for acquiring additional draft compensation if we want to buy it.

I'm really not sure what you're disagreeing with at this point.

Edited by incognito_man

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Moving on from both Rodgers and Barry would have been great, but I'll settle for just moving on from Rodgers and like it!

TBH I was hoping to get rid of Barry instead of Rodgers.  IMO our DC is holding this team back more than anything else.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The specific parts that make the his contract appealing to a trade partner are the really low cap hits in 2023 and 2024 and the flexibility of trading picks for GB to pick up part of the tab.

It's really that simple.

Not disputing what you are saying...except for the last line.

If it was really that simple, why wasn't it talked about last year when he signed the deal?  

Instead of how flexible the contract was, we got talk about how Rodgers is back for 2-3 years.  At a very high cost.

If it was really that simple, we would have heard about this wonderful stipulation back then.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If it was really that simple, why wasn't it talked about last year when he signed the deal?  

Instead of how flexible the contract was, we got talk about how Rodgers is back for 2-3 years.  At a very high cost.

If it was really that simple, we would have heard about this wonderful stipulation back then.

I mean, I literally saw it months ago already and it's been discussed on here for a long time already. The contract itself is more complex than most, but it seemed pretty clear to me that it was designed to make him tradeable. That's the simplicity I see.

I personally never looked at the trade options until after the season, though. Most everyone else in the world didn't either.

Edited by incognito_man

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

You honestly think after all this has leaked out over how fed-up with Aaron they are, that they would let him come back on his own terms? That would be the entire organization taking a public castration in front of the whole NFL audience. If he comes back, expect him to take a paycut and be there for the entire offseason program. 

Just because the Packers feel Love is ready doesn't necessarily mean they are fed-up with Rodgers.  Love is the future and AR knows this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

the issue I'm having is you're saying the special structure of the 3/150 extension is helping them get more in a trade than they would otherwise.  Rodgers was already signed for 2023 at an affordable number.  If they traded him on that deal, the jets wouldn't be hemming and hawing about compensation because they could structure the cap hits/options/bonus money with a new extension that worked for them.

Instead, he's on this deal that helped create $7M cap room for a 2022 push that fell completely flat.

It's very clear the purpose of the extension was to have Aaron retire a Packer, but our FO feels like they didn't get what they paid for. Props to them for having a contract structured so it's easily moved on from, I mean 16m cap hit for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is absurd value. The option bonus gives them an opportunity to essentially purchase value back from the acquiring team, I don't see what your obstinance to admit this is. 

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Do the reading.  We talked about it 

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The Jets may pull out of this after meeting with Rodgers. 😁

I'm not sure how you spent 4 days doing nothing but thinking and still be unsure.

It is an odd feeling, right?  Rodgers is a Packer and we are rooting, really hard, for the JETS to win this one against us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The Jets may pull out of this after meeting with Rodgers. 😁

I'm not sure how you spent 4 days doing nothing but thinking and still be unsure.

Been meaning to post something similar. How the hell do you go into complete darkness and isolation to guide decisions on your fate, only to go back to the regular world, with people in your ear and life's distractions, to ponder the same thing for multiple more weeks? What was the friggin point of the darkness retreat? If it was attention, he got it. And now he's getting some more.