Week 16: San Francisco 49ers vs Washington Commanders

J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Juice, Warner, Bosa, CMC and Williams are locks to make the Pro Bowl. Who else makes it? Greenlaw and Ward should make it but do they have the name recognition to make it? Hufanga is surprisingly getting a lot of love in DPOY voting which makes no sense to me but nonetheless, that should put him in a decent spot to make it. How about Kittle? He doesn't have the best receiving stats from a TE but he still has solid stats and is a big name. 

We probably get anywhere from 6-8 players making it to the Pro Bowl. 

All anyone ever sees are Huf's highlights, but not his low lights where he guesses wrong. Greenlaw should make it, but I could see a snub. Almost like he needs to do it again before they give him the nod.

Washington's D Line can wreck a game and the Niners O line is sketchy at times. Bad combination for sure. Heavy run and heavy screen. Easiest way to slow down a downhill pass rush is with screens. I expect Shanny to dial them up. Washington's offense is nothing to worry about. Heinecke is good for a turnover or more a game and the defense has been taking the ball away left and right recently. The Washington run game is not good. It lacks efficiency. They barely average over 4/carry. I just don't see a scenario where Washington runs the ball well enough to control the clock and make this a game where they dont have to drop back a ton.

Niners win 37-13

I dont see Wash having anything resembling success against the SF defense. A shut out would not surprise me at all. 

One stat that stood out to me, these two teams lead the league in average time of possesion- Wash at 32:48 and SF at 32:10. Not sure how relevant it is other than both teams love to run the ball and dink/dunk.

49ers 24- Wash 3

I am going to go with the Mike Nolan approach to the game this week:

Both of these teams are football teams.   There are a lot of good players on both of these teams, who are good at football.  I think the team will be competitive this week, and they are going to work hard to prepare for the game on Sunday.

Kidding aside, the Washington pass rush is the equalizer in this game, we'll see if it equalizes enough.  I don't think it will, I just hope Purdy doesn't take too many hard shots.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, adamq said:

I dont see Wash having anything resembling success against the SF defense. A shut out would not surprise me at all. 

Heinicke can move quite a bit, so I'm a bit wary of that given our struggles in defending those type of quarterbacks. 

• Like 2

San Francisco 49ers: Does Brock Purdy’s effectiveness have an expiration date?

Everything else is in place. The offense has an endless supply of weapons. The defense is loaded at all three levels with a dominant pass rush, a swarming linebacker corps, and a physical, playmaking secondary. In Kyle Shanahan and DeMeco Ryans, the 49ers arguably have the best play-calling duo in the league. If the quarterback position wasn’t so important, San Francisco would be the runaway favorite to win the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately, that’s not the case, and this loaded team’s championship hopes rest on the shoulders of Brock Purdy. Through two starts, that doesn’t seem like such a bad thing. Purdy has executed Shanahan’s QB-friendly scheme efficiently and he’s even added a playmaking element the offense had lacked with Jimmy Garoppolo under center. But, so far, we’ve only really seen the good version of Purdy, and there’s another side lurking—the reckless Purdy we saw at Iowa State who’s a little too confident in his physical ability. While he’s thrown only one interception during this recent three-game stretch, the rookie quarterback has been dinged with four “turnover-worthy plays” by PFF. And if he had enough dropbacks to qualify for the statistical charts, his 4.5-percent turnover-worthy play rate would rank fourth-worst in the NFL, behind only Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, and Taylor Heinicke. Eventually, his luck will turn, and he’ll get punished for a few more of those mistakes.

We’ve seen the ceiling for this 49ers offense with Purdy at the helm. We still haven’t seen the floor. And until we do, it’s hard to predict how far this team can go with a seventh-rounder starting at quarterback.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

San Francisco 49ers: Does Brock Purdy’s effectiveness have an expiration date?

Everything else is in place. The offense has an endless supply of weapons. The defense is loaded at all three levels with a dominant pass rush, a swarming linebacker corps, and a physical, playmaking secondary. In Kyle Shanahan and DeMeco Ryans, the 49ers arguably have the best play-calling duo in the league. If the quarterback position wasn’t so important, San Francisco would be the runaway favorite to win the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately, that’s not the case, and this loaded team’s championship hopes rest on the shoulders of Brock Purdy. Through two starts, that doesn’t seem like such a bad thing. Purdy has executed Shanahan’s QB-friendly scheme efficiently and he’s even added a playmaking element the offense had lacked with Jimmy Garoppolo under center. But, so far, we’ve only really seen the good version of Purdy, and there’s another side lurking—the reckless Purdy we saw at Iowa State who’s a little too confident in his physical ability. While he’s thrown only one interception during this recent three-game stretch, the rookie quarterback has been dinged with four “turnover-worthy plays” by PFF. And if he had enough dropbacks to qualify for the statistical charts, his 4.5-percent turnover-worthy play rate would rank fourth-worst in the NFL, behind only Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, and Taylor Heinicke. Eventually, his luck will turn, and he’ll get punished for a few more of those mistakes.

We’ve seen the ceiling for this 49ers offense with Purdy at the helm. We still haven’t seen the floor. And until we do, it’s hard to predict how far this team can go with a seventh-rounder starting at quarterback.

To be fair, even with that high turnover-worthy play rate, Purdy's graded at ~65, which is a mediocre starter mark (Mullens was more of a 50s sort of guy). That isn't a big drop off from Jimmy given their grading standards. Now, some of that averagy grading includes a couple of big time throws from the Tampa game that might not happen again. If Purdy does continue to make plays down the field at a solid clip, it's a big deal for evaluating where he's at. But a lot of it is just pure accuracy and functional mobility. And Purdy's been at the top end of both completion percentage and eye-test accuracy since high school. He's been annoying to sack and capable of creating after the play since then, too. I'm very confident that part of his play is sustainable. Purdy will turn the ball more often at some point unless he weirdly gets better at protecting the football, though. I think just about everyone can agree to that.

• Like 4

Purdy is basically doing what Jimmy did. He can stand back and take the easy throws/reads to the open player and let the YAC guys dominate. But he also scans the whole field, is more mobile, can escape out of sacks better and has some more impressive throws already (the 2 TD's to McCaffrey/Aiyuk in the 2nd Quarter of the Bucs game)

He's not as good at the QB sneak and a weaker arm

Both throw some dumb passes where they miss the underneath LB

Purdy may fall apart, but just strictly speaking to what we've seen on the field so far

On 12/20/2022 at 10:02 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Juice, Warner, Bosa, CMC and Williams are locks to make the Pro Bowl. Who else makes it? Greenlaw and Ward should make it but do they have the name recognition to make it? Hufanga is surprisingly getting a lot of love in DPOY voting which makes no sense to me but nonetheless, that should put him in a decent spot to make it. How about Kittle? He doesn't have the best receiving stats from a TE but he still has solid stats and is a big name. 

We probably get anywhere from 6-8 players making it to the Pro Bowl. 

IMO Juice, Kittle, Warner, Bosa, CMC, & Trent are locks to make it, as for others, I can see Dre getting snubbed, Mooney deserves it, as does Dre, and I think Wishnowsky deserves consideration.

• Like 1