Week 16: San Francisco 49ers vs Washington Commanders

J-ALL-DAY

Greenlaw not making it isn't THAT big of a surprise since this is the first year he's doing it at this level and for the Pro Bowl, it takes some time for the fans/players/coaches to catch on. If he has a similar season next year, he's a lock to make the team. But CMC not making it doesn't make ANY sense at all. Leading the NFC RBs in all purpose yards, has the same amount of TDs as the rest and has been one of the biggest reasons for the Niners turnaround. And he's already a name and recognized as one of the best in the game. Puzzling.

C. Ward not making it also sucks but again, it's going to take some time for the league to catch on to him and his level of play. 

I was out doing some Christmas shopping last night and ran into a fellow Niners fan here in PA and we got to talking. Turns out, his sister and brother-in-law both went to Iowa State and were seniors when Purdy was a freshman. They said they've seen him at parties and know him a little. Apparently he's a super cool dude and very nice. Small world.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I just want to throw a shout out to TY McGill for not sucking.   He has filled the extra DT role really well for a random stand in.

McGill has been really good, he was good for the Vikings, especially in the preseason this year, glad we were able to sign him.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I just want to throw a shout out to TY McGill for not sucking.   He has filled the extra DT role really well for a random stand in.

That man gets off extremely quick off the line. Our interior has lacked some push at times and has prevented Bosa from picking up a few more sacks but McGill really blows plays up and we need that. 

Kinlaw will be a go this week so now we can only bring up one player up from IR, and that's presumably going to be Mitchell.

Kinlaw will obviously be on a pitch count but with the way the Commanders run the ball, he's going to be needed. Ryans mentioned it at the presser that we have not gone up against a run offense like this one since the Falcons game. Should be a different story with Bosa, Armstead and Kinlaw playing this game unlike the Falcons game. 

Do we have Ward follow McLaurin or just play one side?

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That man gets off extremely quick off the line. Our interior has lacked some push at times and has prevented Bosa from picking up a few more sacks but McGill really blows plays up and we need that. 

Kinlaw will be a go this week so now we can only bring up one player up from IR, and that's presumably going to be Mitchell.

Kinlaw will obviously be on a pitch count but with the way the Commanders run the ball, he's going to be needed. Ryans mentioned it at the presser that we have not gone up against a run offense like this one since the Falcons game. Should be a different story with Bosa, Armstead and Kinlaw playing this game unlike the Falcons game. 

Do we have Ward follow McLaurin or just play one side?

Not sure.  The game plan they had against Seattle was pretty sweet.  They showed one defense, then switched to something that took away the first read.  But the time he worked 2nd and 3rd read, the pass rush was there.  It looked maddening trying to go against it.  At one point, they send a man in motion, Warner follows to make it appear to be a man defense, but he rotates into a zone along the sideline.  The defense went from lined up in zone, to making it appear man, back to zone.  All 11 guys knew what was going on as well.  

At this point, Ryans is playing chess at a higher level than I am capable of, so TBH I don't really know what he is going to do with Ward and McLaurin, but I am sure it's gonna be cool to watch, and annoying AF for Heinike.

• Like 1

I just wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation of our quarterback situation.  A lot of people would be pretty down on their team if they were down to their 3rd string quarterback, but we're still competitive with the last pick of the draft at the helm.  I think even if we're down to our 4th string, we're still pretty competitive.  Maybe not superbowl bound, but would put up a fight against an above average team.  The defense keeping teams under 15 points does help, of course.

Watching the Jets last night......holy moly.  That is an absolute dumpster fire.  Longest playoff drought in the NFL and they were so close.  Still technically in the hunt, but... It doesn't look good going forward.  Feel bad for their fans.

As for this game, it feels like a game we could lose, but shouldn't.  10 days rest, so hopefully we don't come out rusty.  I don't want to be down 17 - 3 at the half and have to mount a comeback.  

• Like 4

Dan synder is in advanced talks to sell WFT. 7 billion was the number I heard. 

This is probably Kyle's last chance to stick it to Dan. Their wildcard hopes are hanging by a thread. 

Jack del Rio coaches their defense. He is very old school aka he's a dinosaur in his approach and that is exactly the type of coach that Kyle slices up. 

Chase young gets all the headlines but their interior DL is what is most impressive to me. They are a physical defense to be sure. 

I do wonder if this is a spot for a let down game. I know Kyle likes to give the players Christmas day off, because his dad was making millions of dollars and was working all of the time. He knows that Christmas was the day you actually got to see your NFL employed dad during the season.

Typically there is practice Monday so being this game is the day before an off day, right after we had an extra long week that followed an emotional win to clinch the division, it's slightly concerning. This team has a bad track record of losing after getting home from a road trip so it's definitely a real concern this week. 

I was hoping Jordan Mason would get some work this week so we can manage CMCs workload a bit. We don't need to ride him so hard until wildcard weekend. Jordan has a bum hammy though so I really hope that doesn't mean Tevin Coleman. Give TDP a shot to put something on film if Mason isn't 100%. We need to be careful with our RBs in general, until Mitchell comes back we are thin there until Kyle shows he trusts mason/TDP to handle even a 35% workload. 

This feels like it could be an aiyuk game. I think he is due for a bit of a breakout game. Let's continue to put some good film out there before the playoffs to put fear into every DC that tries to gameplan for us.  

I hope Brock can stay locked in. I haven't seen anything from him to suggest otherwise.

JDR vs Kyle Shanahan, with Dan synder's money on the line??? (Franchises that make the playoffs earn more revenue) I think/hope Kyle will be pretty aggressive this week.

We are the more talented team with a schematic advantage. 

What a FUN time to be a niners fan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ataal said:

Watching the Jets last night......holy moly.  That is an absolute dumpster fire.  Longest playoff drought in the NFL and they were so close.  Still technically in the hunt, but... It doesn't look good going forward.  Feel bad for their fans.

The team itself is fine, but Zach Wilson appears to be a truly spectacular bust. He's been worse than Sam Darnold if we are being honest, and considerably worse (so far) than Mitch Trubisky was. I really do think that you have to go back to Jamarcus to see a QB this bad get drafted in the top 2-3 picks. He could turn it around, of course, but it's a pretty ugly situation. 

• Like 3

Williams shared with The Athletic's Tim Kawakami on "The TK Show" that although he wanted to be traded to the 49ers in 2019, coach Kyle Shanahan's estranged relationship with Washington owner Dan Snyder made things difficult.

"[Snyder] told me and my agent, 'Are you serious?' " Williams told Kawakami. "I think the 49ers had the best offer on the table at the time, I don't want to say what it was ... They had a high draft pick [and] a pretty good player on the board.

"[Washington] pretty much laughed at us, like, 'You think we're going to send you to Kyle out of all people?' And [the 49ers were] undefeated, and it just so happened they were playing the Redskins, or Commanders, that week."

Needless to say, the 49ers' initial offer for Williams was turned down.

"It was like, 'Yeah, we don't care what they're offering us at this point,' " Williams continued. " 'We're not going to do them a favor by sending you over there in the midst of what could be a Super Bowl season.'

"So that's why the trade didn't happen then."

Pretty interesting. If true, Snyder once again cutting off his nose to spite his face. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Pretty interesting. If true, Snyder once again cutting off his nose to spite his face. 

Ended up trading Williams to us for a mere future 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder LOL.

My goodness. Pride and ego man, hell of a duo! 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

I really wonder who that player was. Would love to know. 

That 2019 team did not have spare parts laying all over the shop like this 2022 group.  The only guy they didn't use a lot on that playoff run was Ronald Blair III.  It was probably somebody better, maybe Defo as they thought Solomon Thomas could fill in?  Not sure. 

11 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

That 2019 team did not have spare parts laying all over the shop like this 2022 group.  The only guy they didn't use a lot on that playoff run was Ronald Blair III.  It was probably somebody better, maybe Defo as they thought Solomon Thomas could fill in?  Not sure. 

I think solly is the guy that makes sense to me. Especially if this occurred prior to Blair's injury. 

The other option would maybe be Witherspoon, especially after eman had shown what he could do for a few games