GDT: Cowboys vs Philadelphia PHRAUDS (aka Gardner Minshew edt.)

NoFlyZone

wnohvkqqilneloq1qpv1.png

Here it is, the matchup we have all been waiting for... until the Cowboys punched out early for the day in their game against the Jaguars, and then Hurts injured himself in a desperate effort against the oh so formidable Chicago Bears. Boo to both sides. We now have a matchup that carries less punch, as Dallas needs Philly to lose their three remaining games whereas Dallas needs to win their own remaining three in order to take their rightful place at the top of the division.

As it stands we have the reverse of the last matchup, where the Cowboys came in without their franchise QB in Dak. Certainly this team got zero excuses for that loss back in October, despite boasting an offense that was ranked in the bottom half of the league while Rush held the reigns. And while the turnovers of Dak have been a matter of some debate, it still stands that this team has the #1 offense in the league since his return to the offense. Will that difference prove to be too much against an Eagles team missing their leader? Will the Cowboys defense figure out the woes they suffered against the Jaguars? Or will the once dominant unit continue to search for answers to their questions in the secondary as well as their run defense that continues to present question marks?

Complexities aside, this is a playoff level matchup that is still very meaningful to both teams. Should be an exciting one to watch.

(EDITING IN PROCESS -- Just felt like getting the thread rolling for discussion purposes. I'll throw some fun news/ notes in here as well as some Twitter blurbs or something later tonight into tomorrow. Probably will add a decent amount just has been tight with my schedule.)

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 1

So we got lucky apparently facing Cooper Rush the 1st time around now it's your turn facing the Stash on Christmas eve. 

Surely losing to a Gardner Minshew led Eagles team won't happen, right? Regardless of NFZ track record with GDT. 🥃

Serious note, here's to no more GD injuries to either team on Saturday. All I truly want to see.

Edited by Nabbs4u

“Many thought T.Y. Hilton was going to see his first action as a Cowboy last week, and while that did not come true, all indications are that it’s all systems go for Hilton this week against the Eagles. That is big news for a Cowboys team that can use his services. Hilton, by all estimations, looks ready to go. As a veteran usually does, Hilton has reportedly picked up the offense quickly and stepped in smoothly with his other teammates since his arrival.”

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2022/12/22/23519306/cowboys-eagles-dallas-underrated-star-t-y-hilton-week-16

Color me skeptical. 

17 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Nah. It’s essentially a Friday practice. If he didn’t suit up, he’s not playing. 

No sense risking Hurts getting seriously injured in a game that really doesn't mean all that much for you guys 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, D82 said:

No sense risking Hurts getting seriously injured in a game that really doesn't mean all that much for you guys 

I disagree that Philly doesn’t have a lot to play for this week. Losing to Dallas this week almost guarantees a rematch in the divisional round. A far better scenario for Philly is Dallas as the #6 seed against SF.

Also, I agree Philly is the overwhelming favorite for the #1 seed right now, but life comes at you fast in the NFL. Losses can snowball on you. Better to lock it down ASAP.

If Hurts is actually hurt, then yeah, he shouldn’t play. But if they are sitting him out of an abundance of caution, then I think that’s some karma that may come back to bite them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I disagree that Philly doesn’t have a lot to play for this week. Losing to Dallas this week almost guarantees a rematch in the divisional round. A far better scenario for Philly is Dallas as the #6 seed against SF.

Also, I agree Philly is the overwhelming favorite for the #1 seed right now, but life comes at you fast in the NFL. Losses can snowball on you. Better to lock it down ASAP.

If Hurts is actually hurt, then yeah, he shouldn’t play. But if they are sitting him out of an abundance of caution, then I think that’s some karma that may come back to bite them. 

Hurts is actually hurt. If he wasn't actually hurt we aren't even having this conversation cause he would be starting lol. Factoring in your guys potential seed in the playoffs is absolutely irrelevant. You can't predict the NFL and the Eagles aren't dumb enough to try and do that. For example what if the Lions sneak into the 7 seed and play Minnesota in the wild card? Are you sure that the most likely outcome is us playing Dallas in the divisional in that situation?

I can assure you the Eagles team you are getting this weekend is the best one that we can offer. It sucks Hurts can't play but there is absolutely zero sense in rushing the most important player on your team back and potentially losing him for the season... especially for what is essentially a meaningless game outside of bragging rights(which of course we all want). Even if the Eagles end up losing out this is still the right decision.

Hopefully both teams can stay healthy this weekend and the game remains entertaining even if the Hurts injury makes it a lot less interesting. I of course hope the Birds win, but I have serious doubts that is possible with our backup QB out there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

Which is interesting...because wasn't he like the best against the blitz last year? 

Yea, but there is technically a difference between “facing a blitz” and “being under pressure.” He was great against the blitz because he was able to make his read quickly and often times get the ball out before he was actually pressured. His ratings “under pressure” include some plays that he isn’t facing a blitz, but still faces pressure. 

Dak is a 10-14 QB in this league. Some of the things he’s always been good at is not throwing picks and beating the NFC east. He has to not turn the ball over this game, and one way of another he has to get the W at home against an East team starting backup QB. 
I would like to point out that the Eagles won the first game without really relying on Jalen Hurts. He had 182 total yards and no rushing TDs. Is Gardner capable of 155 passing yards and 2 TDs? 

• Like 1