MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Pushing back the playoffs is changing the schedule of other teams so that the Bills can try to improve their playoff seeding. Trying to frame it any other way is intentional obtuse.

He's been provided examples of where changing the schedule does cause notable differences in the competitive balance too. Lamar Jackson's health is the big one.

Probably worth ducking out after a while, I just can't help myself.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I keep seeing you and others say this. Itā€™s not changing the schedule for 32 teams. You play week 18 and most teams are done and into the offseason. Then you finish the game the following week and the playoffs start the next. Itā€™s just a pushback to get the playoffs right. Itā€™s also just one of many things weā€™re all kicking around.Ā 

This idea is much easier in practice than in actual implementation. You have to remember that there is a TON of money already tied up around the playoff games and especially the Super Bowl. It may not even be possible to just move them back a week.

Something has to give and it very likely will not be millions and millions of dollars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

Oh please, you want a scenario that benefits your seeding no matter the expense to other teams just like the people not wanting an extra week of rest.Ā 

What expense? The whole AFC playoffs is affected by this game. The NFC playoffs not at all. Yes, for my own team I want them Ā afforded the chance to finish the year out. Why wouldnā€™t I? Why would I want to have the Bills chance at being the 1 seed taken away. Why would I want KC to be given the 1 seed over a technicality? Same with the Bengals. They have a shot at 1,2,3 or 5. That is significant. Ā Home games vs road games is huge. Why would I not want that properly sorted out? Ā What a weird comment to make.Ā 

1 minute ago, BillSabre said:

What expense? The whole AFC playoffs is affected by this game. The NFC playoffs not at all. Yes, for my own team I want them Ā afforded the chance to finish the year out. Why wouldnā€™t I? Why would I want to have the Bills chance at being the 1 seed taken away. Why would I want KC to be given the 1 seed over a technicality? Same with the Bengals. They have a shot at 1,2,3 or 5. That is significant. Ā Home games vs road games is huge. Why would I not want that properly sorted out? Ā What a weird comment to make.Ā 

At least you are finally being honest about it instead of saying that playing the game out and pushing back playoffs, canceling pro bowl somehow benefits all teams. It doesn't. It benefits 2-3 teams in the AFC.Ā 

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

This idea is much easier in practice than in actual implementation. You have to remember that there is a TON of money already tied up around the playoff games and especially the Super Bowl. It may not even be possible to just move them back a week.

Something has to give and it very likely will not be millions and millions of dollars.

What is tied up around the playoff games and Superbowl? Iā€™m serious about this question. Superbowl would be played when it was supposed to. Playoffs still get played out.Ā 

4 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

Bengals can be the 6 seed.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I was not in on the "decide this game's outcome with Madden" idea, but if they are going to decide seeding with a random number generator, then they should definitely use Madden instead.

If I understood the clip correctly, I think the idea would be if necessary, randomly "remove" one teams game so that everyone has the same games played.

For example if Buffalo and KC win this weekend, they would randomly remove a Chiefs game from the record. Could be a win or a loss, could even be the Bills win over KC if truly random.Ā 

I think it's a terrible idea if thats actually the plan and I don't trust the NFL to have full transparency in anyway

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Everything about his lungs is secondary to the fact that he was successfully resuscitated at least once. That's an overwhelmingly positive indicator for brain function, as he possessed the ability to wake back up after the initial damage.

Beyond that, we don't know, but the absence of bad news (e.g. a brain scan with limited/no electrical activity) combined with a trickle of positive news makes me cautiously optimistic.

If a patient is sick enough to need intubation followed by proning, their oxygenation has to be bad enough they wouldnā€™t be weaned off deep sedation yet (and often require neuromuscular paralysis). Ā With that info the chances the info being relayed about neurological recovery is pretty much nil. Ā  Ā Thatā€™s my point. Ā  It wasnā€™t to say he isnā€™t going to recover - itā€™s that the info the family friend is relaying is likely due to his oxygenation. Ā  But that doesnā€™t predict neurological recovery. Ā  Until heā€™s allowed to wake up and let the sedation wear off, there often is no information. Ā Ā 
Ā 

The fact Hamlinā€™s young and got CPR still leaves reason for real hope. Ā  But the fear there is a devastating injury is also still very real. Ā  Hope and fear can co-exist here. Ā  Ā At this stage itā€™s just too soon to tell. Ā  Ā And with the severity of lung injury (proning with deep sedation), we likely wonā€™t be able to tell for many days, and sometimes much longer (whereas with cardiac arrest alone a good idea would be known within several days once sedation is off - Ā but that may not happen quickly now). Ā  Ā Thatā€™s the hardest part at this stage. Ā  Ā Besides getting the worst news, having to waIt and the uncertainty involved are excruciating for family. Ā Ā 

Edited by Broncofan

15 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

At least you are finally being honest about it instead of saying that playing the game out and pushing back playoffs, canceling pro bowl somehow benefits all teams. It doesn't. It benefits 2-3 teams in the AFC.Ā 

I never said it ā€œbenefitedā€ all teams. Itā€™s the scenario that is ā€œmost fairā€ to ALL TEAMS.Ā