MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

41 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

* I personally want to see the best teams play and be as healthy as possible. So, to be clear, if every playoff team was 100% healthy, would you still not want all games played for proper seeding? 

I want all games played for seeding, regardless of health - but that's for selfish reasons because the 1 seed feels like blood money currently.

However, I can certainly understand the case from a Bucs/Cowboys/Chargers/whoever perspective where they are being collaterally damaged or their route might get more difficult and I don't think they are terrible humans or anything for having the perspective of wanting to maintain every edge possible, even if the circumstances that led us here are grim. 

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I want all games played for seeding, regardless of health - but that's for selfish reasons because the 1 seed feels like blood money currently.

However, I can certainly understand the case from a Bucs/Cowboys/Chargers/whoever perspective where they are being collaterally damaged or their route might get more difficult and I don't think they are terrible humans or anything for having the perspective of wanting to maintain every edge possible, even if the circumstances that led us here are grim. 

Well this is just where we have to agree to disagree.  Multiple teams will be affected no matter what. I believe that multiple teams locking up top seeds and divisions or missing the playoffs altogether without playing the game is a bigger travesty than teams having to rest an extra week after all seeding and playoff spots are earned.  One scenario seems like a bigger injustice than the other to me and sometimes you have to go with the lesser evil. 

* I do understand what you’re saying though…… just want to be clear about that. 

Here's the problem that everyone, including the league is operating as a given. They are operating as if current standnigs and implications should be considered when deciding what to do. That isn't a given, and I'd argue not the right way to do it. What they do will set a precedent. Hopefully one that will never be needed again, but a precedent nonetheless. And you don't know what the situation the next time will be to know if the balance should be the same. For example if we just push stuff back so they play this as a week 19 what happens if a similar even occurs in week 2. Does the game get played in a week 19? Do those teams lose their bye week (then they weren't accomodated to the same extent as now), or even less accomodation they have to fit it on a weekday type situation. 

I think you have to make the decision on fairness to teams and the league as a general matter, not given the specific facts of the standings in this case and then let the chips fall where they may. If the best result in general is that teams have 18 weeks to play their 17 games then that is what you have to do. And personally I think that is the case and if a team doesn't feel they can play then they can forfeit (which I wouldn't fault them for at all). I know that seems callous but the more that things are just made up as they go the less fair the result will actually be.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I thought about that too but that would eliminate Baltimore from having a shot at the North title. Any scenario outside of playing the game affects multiple teams unfairly. 

I have no problem with Baltimore getting screwed over.  B|

Playing the game is obviously the best IN GENERAL....but I feel like it might screw over some teams regardless given the extra week the playoffs would have to be pushed back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Could you imagine if the game was played over again in a Week 19 and it ended up a tie anyway?

I have. Also, if they push everything back so Bills get #1 seed and then get booted in the playoffs...

That's why I don't think the quality of teams>quantity of teams should be the precedent set. 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I have. Also, if they push everything back so Bills get #1 seed and then get booted in the playoffs...

That's why I don't think the quality of teams>quantity of teams should be the precedent set. 

Pushing everything back so they have the opportunity to earn the one seed through the same amount of games as everyone else you mean.

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

This isn’t solely about the Bills. If the game doesn’t get played it essentially affects 8 teams in the AFC one way or another. Wether it be getting in at all, getting seeding or winning divisions. 

If i were the Bills, I’d forfeit the Pats game, and take the tie/ or forfeit if that’s what they have to do for the Bengals game too.

It’s hard for me to comprehend them being ready to play this week. Take the time and be ready for round 1, at home. If they can get through this, they can go on the road to win playoff games.

From the NFL’s perspective, it’s just bad optics to not give the Bills a chance to win the one seed when they were in a situation where they controlled their own destiny. If they had needed help that’s different, but the optics would come as a punishment, which can’t happen, they’d get destroyed.

2 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Yes but at least they were given the chance. 

Man I just feel like either way people are going to complain about fairness.  There is no way you can convince me that if the Bills were to lose in Week 19 and then lose the following week to a playoff team coming off a bye week, that Bills fans wouldn't blame the lack of rest? 

Heck, the reason why this conversation is happening because of how important the #1 seed and bye week is... and yet we are suggesting every single playoff team but the Bills and Bengals be guaranteed one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Man I just feel like either way people are going to complain about fairness.  There is no way you can convince me that if the Bills were to lose in Week 19 and then lose the following week to a playoff team coming off a bye week, that Bills fans wouldn't blame the lack of rest? 

Heck, the reason why this conversation is happening because of how important the #1 seed and bye week is... and yet we are suggesting every single playoff team but the Bills and Bengals be guaranteed one.

Idc about the bye week as much as home field advantage. That’s just me though.

4 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Idc about the bye week as much as home field advantage. That’s just me though.

Maybe its just because of Reid, but man, I think I'd prefer the bye much more than HFA. 

Mahomes is actually slightly better on the road iirc.

You take HFA, We take Bye, Screw the Bengals?

Just now, Soggust said:

Maybe its just because of Reid, but man, I think I'd prefer the bye much more than HFA. 

Mahomes is actually slightly better on the road iirc.

You take HFA, We take Bye, Screw the Bengals?

Lol.

I guess i just feel like playing the games on the field and every team playing the same amount is the most fair. Can argue rest, injury recover etc, but at the very least the games and standings are settled on the field. Which from a competitive sports league should be the most important