MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It's a very slippery slope they are setting up for future decisions. 

It was a perfect storm. This rare incident (at least in the NFL) happening during the second to last week of the season, in the last game of the week, between two of the three top seeds with the No. 1 seed and a division title hanging in the balance. 

I get what you mean about precedent but this scenario will almost certainly never play out again. At least not in the next 10+ years and hopefully the NFL by then will have crafted a plan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Wow.  I mentioned a scenario way way back about how the Bengals might forfeit just to give the Bills the #1 seed to have time to truly regroup after Sunday, with the caveat that any game between Buffalo and Cincy gets played in Cincy.

The NFL does read this site.  Because several posters who have thrown out ideas have made it to the talking heads as possible plans the league is contemplating.,

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I get what you mean about precedent but this scenario will almost certainly never play out again. At least not in the next 10+ years and hopefully the NFL by then will have crafted a plan. 

Doesn't matter. The door is open, and every time there's a hurricane or a flood that causes a game to move the team impacted will have a duty to it's fans to campaign for competitive advantage. And the second the league is entertaining the conversation, it's over.

It's like negotiating with children, the tactical mistake was getting into the conversation in the first place.

I should say I don't think that's what Bills/Bengals/Chiefs fans are doing here. It's a ****ty situation and most people are trying to balance fairness and team support as best they can. We all get that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

How does this even work? If Schefty's name wasn't attached I wouldn't believe it because it literally makes no sense...

It makes zero sense and if KC, BUFF and CIN win this week, the problem is still there as to who should be 1,2 and 3 to even make those asinine decisions. 

Yeah, nobody is taking playing an extra game for homefield one week later over taking a bye and giving up homefield. However, the Bills are the most advantaged by having potentially the best homefield advantage. But how does this benefit the Bengals? They could have been the one seed as well. That's why this suggestion doesn't work. 

If Bills/Bengals meet in the playoffs after WC weekend, then you have to play that on a neutral field. And then, that winner would play neutral field against KC in the Championship game, since KC would have taken the bye.

Bills divisional game would be in Buffalo if Cinci loses their WC game at home.

Edited by WheatieMan

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Doesn't matter. The door is open, and every time there's a hurricane or a flood that causes a game to move the team impacted will have a duty to it's fans to campaign for competitive advantage. And the second the league is entertaining the conversation, it's over.

When is the last time a flood or hurricane happened at a point in the season where the NFL had to cancel a game and were unable to reschedule? Any heavyweight hurricane is probably happening before November

Again I see what you are getting at but this situation again was a perfect storm. An NFL game cancellation is so rare that I wouldn’t concern myself about what may or may not happen in the future. 

8 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

It makes zero sense and if KC, BUFF and CIN win this week, the problem is still there as to who should be 1,2 and 3 to even make those asinine decisions. 

What exactly do you want? Them to make a Week 19 for Bills/Bengals, then the loser of that game being the only playoff team without a bye? 

13 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I think you cancel the Bills/Pats game and Bengals/Balt games this weekend, and put the Pats in the playoffs as the 7/8 seed, and have the Dolphins or Steelers represent as a 7th/8th seed if 1/2 wins their Week 18 game. This would be the fairest option, and the TV windows are there.

Edited by WheatieMan

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

When is the last time a flood or hurricane happened at a point in the season where the NFL had to cancel a game and were unable to reschedule?

The fundamental difference here is that you're assuming there needs to be a cancellation late in the season for this precedent to matter.

This is a league that will unironically have a conversation about goddamn time zone travel disrupting competitive balance. Every bye week added, or game played at a neutral site for travel (especially the relative number of fan tickets allocated), or game suspended and made up during a bye week impacts competitive balance.

Teams will care, fans will care, and it'll be a circus that the league invited in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The fundamental difference here is that you're assuming there needs to be a cancellation late in the season for this precedent to matter.

Because this (as of now) hypothetical is only coming to play because the game is canceled. Why would this precedent ever matter if a game wasn’t cancelled? 

My point isn’t about when the game is canceled. My point is that any game at any point of the season being cancelled is extremely unlikely. Again, when’s the last game that was outright canceled? And outside of COVID, how many games in the last 20 years have even had to be rescheduled to a different day? 

Like I said, I get where you are coming from. I really do but I also think this situation is so so so so so unlikely to happen again that it makes no sense to worry about future incidents and how this would affect them. I’d put the odds of this happening again the same as I would the NBA playoff bubble.