MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

And to make up for the fact that the Bengals did not have any other primetime home games this season, they should be awarded hosting rights to the 2023 Kickoff Game, regardless of whether they win the Super Bowl or not. There's precedent for that. 2019 didn't have the defending champions at all because it was the 100th season of the NFL and its oldest rivalry, Packers-Bears was chosen for the kickoff game. Before that, in 2013 the Broncos hosted even though they didn't win the Super Bowl the year before, their opponent happened to be the team that did, the Ravens, who were forced to open on the road because of a scheduling conflict with the Orioles. And well before that, the defending champs did not participate in the first two kickoff games, which were hosted by the Giants and Redskins as a way of showing the country's resilience from the 9/11 attacks, which affected NYC and DC.

37 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I fully get that and agree to an extent. But people just want to act like game play never took place and the NFL made it worse by saying it won't be continued. So at this point you either acknowledge the score, declare a tie, or no contest. Plus all this talk by us of moving to a neutral location isn't taking into account all of the logistics and local issues. Moving a game takes away thousands, if not millions, of dollars of local tax revenue as well as money out of the pockets of people who work on game days; concession workers, janitorial staff, parking attendants, kitchen staff, even grocery stores lose money from would be tailgaters, hotels aren't getting used, etc.

Let’s not act like the Bills and Bengals aren’t two of the best teams in the league. 7-3 either way is far from over and a 4 point lead is nothing. Especially with over 5 minutes left in the first quarter. 

1 hour ago, BillSabre said:

Let’s not act like the Bills and Bengals aren’t two of the best teams in the league. 7-3 either way is far from over and a 4 point lead is nothing. Especially with over 5 minutes left in the first quarter. 

I agree on all you said. But the fact is, the game was stopped and there was a score. If we just ignore that, then the only fair solution is a tie or no contest.

11 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I agree on all you said. But the fact is, the game was stopped and there was a score. If we just ignore that, then the only fair solution is a tie or no contest.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. When there is over 80% of the game yet to play I tend to lean closer to game not played. The score is irrelevant to me. Bills marched right down the field with the ball as well and were a fingertip away from it being 7-7. This game will be played but it’s going to be in the playoffs. 

Edited by BillSabre
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Because that is just proposal.  The owners have to approve it.  Of course the league is a bit under handed announcing it to the public.

Quite frankly, I think it's a horrible solution.  It sounds cold, but the only true solution would be for the Bills to forfeit the game giving the Bengals the win and Buffalo the loss.

• Like 2

I honestly don't think the NFL should do any neutral site nonsense....just use win percentage

The Bengals are likely the ones to get screwed the most here - they had a lead against the Bills and were at home, and are on fire. I think it was more likely than not that the Bengals were going to win that game, which likely gets them the 2 seed.

Not only does that get them home field in the divisional round potentially, it gets them an easier game in the wildcard round.

Assuming the Chiefs, Bengals and Bills all win next week:

Chiefs are lucky to get the one seed

Bills are unlucky to lose the one seed, but lucky to have the 2 seed without having to have played the hottest team in the NFL

The Bengals are just....unlucky in this scenario. They get nothing by this game not being played, except clinching the north which....again, this is assuming all three win next week so that would have happened either way in that scenario.

If we want to add that the Bengals got lucky for clinching the north without needing to beat Baltimore next week, then all three teams got some luck from the game being cancelled. 

Just use win percentage and move on

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That can't be right. 

EDIT: I'm just wondering how you award a division champ with unequal games played yet dismiss the current #1 seed due to unequal games played. I don't know, just seems like trying to make everyone happy when in actuality it makes no one happy. 

Edited by BofaDeez54927
  • Like 1